PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Glue query

Honorary Bloke
23rd June 2007, 08:12 AM
Alright you lot, I'm re-caning an old chair on Sunday and plan to use pearl glue to adhere the pre-woven caning in the slot, as well as the spline which will hold it. Never used pearl glue before. :no:

Where I am: I've read Neil's description for preparation (internet version) and it seems simple enough if you have the right kit. Don't have a glue pot, so I'm thinking of using a smallish glass jar immersed in hot water (the kind of jar used for putting up jellies and jams). Water in a pot on the stove. Supposed to get to 80 degrees C (175 degrees F :rolleyes: ) but not having a thermometer I'm willing to donate to the hide glue cause forever, is there a rough and ready way to tell if it's right?

Also, how much open working time can I expect?
How long to soak the pearls before they are ready to cook?
Will SWMBO make me sorry if I cook it in the house?
Any other words of wisdom and encouragement. :U

Just George
23rd June 2007, 07:22 PM
I bought a cooking thermometer from Mitre 10, it didn't cost much(less

than $10 from memory). I also have an urn from Clive Peteres in Brisbane

which cost less tha $80 especially for hide glue.

watson
23rd June 2007, 08:13 PM
caG'day Bob,
I use an old electric frypan filled with water into which I put the container of glue.
I soak the glue for between 30 minutes and an hour......depending on the shed temperature. I wouldn't do the heating in the kitchen ........especially on the second or third heat up.........you may never be spoken to again......
You actually don't get much open time, but the setting is worth it.
Especially rubbing the two bits to be joined together...darkside magic.

Zsteve
23rd June 2007, 09:29 PM
I have only used the stuff a couple of times and it does smell abit, probably best not to do it in the kitchen. I was also surprised by how long it actually remained workable when putting things together.

Honorary Bloke
25th June 2007, 05:45 AM
Just a follow-up post to say the chair caning project went brilliantly. Thanks for the advice. Used an electric fondue pot with a thermostat to hold the water, so temperature was not an issue. Neil's instructions were spot on. The proof will be when SWMBO sits on it in a day or two, but I'm confident.

And it came out looking better than the original, if I do say so. :)

[Of course I have enough glue to do ten more chairs, but that's all right. :rolleyes: :D ]

watson
25th June 2007, 05:18 PM
[Of course I have enough glue to do ten more chairs, but that's all right. :rolleyes: :D ][/quote]

G'day Bob,
if you've got lots left over, bag it up and put it in the freezer. Next use,10 minutes in the glue pot and its all hunky dory again.

IanW
25th June 2007, 07:29 PM
[Of course I have enough glue to do ten more chairs, but that's all right. :rolleyes: :D ]

G'day Bob,
if you've got lots left over, bag it up and put it in the freezer. Next use,10 minutes in the glue pot and its all hunky dory again.

I think he means leftover pearls. No worries Bloke - now that you've discovered it's not all that mysterious, you might want to start using it for some 'heirloom type projects! Maybe not as simple as picking up the PVA bottle and squeezing out what you need, but in many situations, the advantages outweigh the extra a fuss......
Cheers,

watson
25th June 2007, 08:28 PM
G'day IW,
Just re-read my post....and it now seems as funny as!!
No, what I meant was when Bob's excess glue solidifies as it cools, that he should seal that (the gelled glue) in a plastic bag and put that in the freezer.

Still giggling!

Honorary Bloke
25th June 2007, 09:32 PM
Okay guys, actually both. :D :D I really did mean the glue that was already cooked up, so I will freeze that. The left over pearls I assume will keep as is for a long time?

Thanks again for all the suggestions. :)

IanW
25th June 2007, 09:36 PM
The left over pearls I assume will keep as is for a long time?

Someone once gave me a packet that was at least 25 yrs old - they were good as gold.

Cheers,

Heavansabove
28th June 2007, 11:15 PM
A good glue pot is the type used by hairdressers to heat wax, they have a good thermostat, and a jam thermometer will tell you where the right setting is. Usually available locally on eBay. Baby food jars (empty) are handy to heat the glue, and later store in freezer if you are so inclined.
Baby bottle warmers do not get hot enough, so avoid them.