1 turnip pealed and diced
½ bunch of celery chopped
¼ cup barley
1 cup Cavateli
500 gram gnocchi
500 ml chicken stock
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

In a large pot cook the bacon, onions and garlic until the onions are tender. Then add the diced lamb and brown. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, chilli flakes, salt, Worcestershire sauce and chicken stock plus another 500 ml of water. Add the vegetables, cover and simmer for 1¼ hours. Then add the gnocchi and Cavateli and top up the fluids to make 5 litres and simmer for a further 30 minutes.

Serve with crusty bread

Cliff Rogers
28th June 2007, 12:05 AM
Do you have a recipe or a receipt for the gnocchi?
What do you use?

Frank&Earnest
29th June 2007, 03:22 AM
:D No receipt, they fell off the back of a truck...
This thread is a new experience, didn't notice this part of the forum before.
And a thrilling one: a Hungarian dish italianised with tomato paste, cavatelli and gnocchi and anglicised with Worcestershire sauce...a truly European flavour!

The cavatelli are not surprising: they are small pieces of dough not dissimilar from those used in traditional Hungarian recipes, the only difference would be durum weath instead of the softer northern varieties.

Can't really understand why gnocchi (potato and flour dumplings) would need to be added to the diced potatoes. In any case, after 30 minutes simmering, both the cavatelli and the gnocchi would be completely dissolved in the broth. Unless they are meant to be something else... are they carved or turned?:U

munruben
29th June 2007, 01:50 PM
Sounds okay to me on a day like this, just what I need to warm me up.:)

Phil Spencer
30th June 2007, 05:54 PM
:D No receipt, they fell off the back of a truck...
This thread is a new experience, didn't notice this part of the forum before.
And a thrilling one: a Hungarian dish italianised with tomato paste, cavatelli and gnocchi and anglicised with Worcestershire sauce...a truly European flavour!

The cavatelli are not surprising: they are small pieces of dough not dissimilar from those used in traditional Hungarian recipes, the only difference would be durum weath instead of the softer northern varieties.

Can't really understand why gnocchi (potato and flour dumplings) would need to be added to the diced potatoes. In any case, after 30 minutes simmering, both the cavatelli and the gnocchi would be completely dissolved in the broth. Unless they are meant to be something else... are they carved or turned?:U

Add the Gnocchi and cavatelli 30 minutes before the end of cooking. BTW you can eat it with a fork

Phil

Frank&Earnest
30th June 2007, 10:42 PM
My apologies if my sligtly sarcastic humour was in any way offensive... but to support your claim you really need to answer Cliff's question. What is it that you call gnocchi?

Phil Spencer
1st July 2007, 10:55 AM
My apologies if my sligtly sarcastic humour was in any way offensive... but to support your claim you really need to answer Cliff's question. What is it that you call gnocchi?

Gnocchi (possible that I have spelt it incorrectly) is small parcels of mashed potato and egg, used in pasta dishes, to answer to other criticisms this started out as a genuine goulash and along the way it was corrupted (lamb tastes better than beef ect..) and the name has stuck and it has become a favorite among friends and family.

Usually smart comments like Cliffs I ignore.

Phil

Cliff Rogers
1st July 2007, 11:41 AM
...Usually smart comments like Cliffs I ignore.......

Why? :?

I thought it was a fair question. :rolleyes:

Do you make it yourself or do you buy it?

If you make it yourself, can we have the recipe?

Nothing too smart about that.

I guess you buy it. :cool:

Frank&Earnest
1st July 2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks Phil. I can't comment on the real intentions of Cliff's question, but it looked a genuine request for information to me. Which is what a forum should be about, shouldn't it?

By answering it, you have given the rest of us enough information to understand why we were at odds with our expectations of the cooking time. Please be assured that I did not and do not imply any criticism!

The traditional potato and flour gnocchi (your spelling is right BTW) are an alternative and not an addition to pasta dishes. They are not made with eggs and require only a couple of minutes' cooking. The solidified egg is what makes them more consistent in your recipe. There is another kind of traditional "gnocchi" (alla romana) made with semolina and eggs and then fried, not boiled.

Now Cliff can acknowledge your creativity for the new "gnocchi" recipe!

ETA ... and again I am so slow at typing that Cliff has already jumped in...

Phil Spencer
1st July 2007, 12:50 PM
Why? :?

:cool:
Sorry Cliff,I have a sensitivity to men from FNQ, let me explain:

My daughter's partner and the father of my grandsons comes from FNQ. A few years back he assaulted both me and my wife, the coward picked a time when I had my hand plastered up after having skin grafts to rebuild my finger and thumb following an altercation with a biscuit jointer.

We let it pass and got on with life but he started with abusive phone calls late at night, it got to a stage where I told him to stop so his response was to off back to FNQ with my daughter and grandsons whom I miss.

So I guess that I an like that fellow that taught his dog to dislike black men by beating it around the head with a gollywog

Phil

Cliff Rogers
1st July 2007, 01:03 PM
Well ya see, that is where you went wrong, I am not from FNQ, I live here now but am originally from CWQ, have lived in CQ, SEQ, & NQ, as well as Sydney, Melbourne & Adelaide. (Althought they don't have Q in the name, they could. :D )

I married a 2nd generation Northern Italian from Tully.
Her mum made the best gnocchi in the world.
It seems to be an art form, kinda like scones, either you are good at it or you aren't.

Your receipe called for "500 gram gnocchi"

What I am really interested to know is....
"HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR FAQ'n GNOCCHI???" :D

Phil Spencer
1st July 2007, 01:08 PM
Your receipe called for "500 gram gnocchi"

What I am really interested to know is....
"HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR FAQ'n GNOCCHI???" :D

I buy it from the FAQ'n supermarket in a packet:D

Phil

Cliff Rogers
1st July 2007, 01:13 PM
Right. :2tsup:

Does anybody make their own on here?

Frank&Earnest
1st July 2007, 08:05 PM
Rethorical question? :D

You are right. It is an art form, i.e. feeling and experience make all the difference. Because they are so plain, like pasta, virtually all that matters is the texture. The flavour is in the sauce.

So the recipe is:
-pick potatoes of the right kind, boil and mash them
-add enough plain flour to make a dough of the right consistency.

That's it.
Cut finger size cylinders about 30mm long and, if you have the time and patience, roll them on a fork to flatten and make ridges.

Throw them in boiling salted water and scoop them up when they pop to the surface - just a couple of minutes. If you didn't get it right and they are mushy, throw them in the bin and try again another day. :D

Add the sauce of your choice.

Enjoy.:)

felixe
11th August 2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah Cliff I make my own, do you still want a recipe?

I would not use the last recipe, too vague - what are the "right" potatoes, and what is the "right" consistency?

Cliff Rogers
11th August 2007, 12:22 PM
Yeap, fire away.... maybe put it in a new thread & post a link to that thread here. :2tsup: