PDA

View Full Version : Stoopid windows

echnidna
23rd June 2007, 10:34 PM
I've had Pain Shop Pro installed for a year or so.
Works ok

Today windows trys to install it again when I click the icon ??????

billbeee
24th June 2007, 05:21 AM
Give Linux a try.
Cheers
Bill

echnidna
24th June 2007, 09:49 AM
nope, all the programs I use need windows

Fox3
24th June 2007, 11:12 AM
I was that way at one point, everything I used required wincrap. I finally got fed up with the constant hassle and decided to try Linux as a desktop (Linux is for servers, silly!).

It was a lot of work to find apps that would do what I needed and then to learn them and most of the time I lost the data from the wincrap apps because of all the closed formats.

That was over 6 years ago now and while it was a hassle to get here I can say that computing is no longer an ongoing continual expensive nightmare.

If wincrap works for you, then it is what you need and should use.

When you get disgusted enough with it, there is a better alternative out there but you will have to do some work to get it. Nice thing, I think, is that it is MY work to get where I need with it and not just $$$ I throw at someone and hope for the best.

Oh yes, on the edit, MY work, but a lot of help from people who know what they are doing and if you make any effort at all they will bend over backwards to help you. Considerably better quality help, I found, than the $$$ shelled out to m$ support for not much of anything.

YMMV.

echnidna
24th June 2007, 11:20 AM
I use open source stuff where it does the job.

But I have some (obsolete) cnc stuff that won't run under anything but dos.
And other stuff that needs windows.

Groggy
24th June 2007, 11:23 AM
Bob, had similar issues with other programs, uninstall/reinstall seems to be the immediate answer. Linux if you want to divorce and remarry :wink: (no guarantees second time around either).

echnidna
24th June 2007, 11:24 AM
I just did the big hunt around and found the PSP installation disc and ran it and it all seems to be ok again.

Fox3
25th June 2007, 07:41 AM
I use open source stuff where it does the job.

But I have some (obsolete) cnc stuff that won't run under anything but dos.
And other stuff that needs windows.

If your CNC stuff runs G-Code, you might want to look at EMC ( http://www.linuxcnc.org/ ). Might work for you. Got it set up here but still trying to get the uMill CNC'd.

And yes, after getting burned multiple times trying to move data to something new under wincrap I've come to appreciate both open source and open data formats.

chrisb691
25th June 2007, 08:26 AM
I had the same thing happen to me last night. Double clicked a jpg, and up popped msi tryng to install Omnipage again. Looks like an MS update has a problem.

woodbe
25th June 2007, 08:39 AM
Just in case you want to try something else on Windows:

http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html

It's an open source windows application. Does an awful lot of stuff with images, hasn't crashed on me yet... Needs the dot.net framework installed whatever that is.

I only use it at work, because I wouldn't use Windows to do something I care about. :D

woodbe.