PDA

View Full Version : JNOTTY GIOBBLE who/what!??

PenTurner
24th June 2007, 09:09 PM
Darren, thanks for the blank, it had Jnotty Giobble written on it, unless i saw it different than written, could you tell us what it is??:? , Meanwhile it turned easily and i finished it with CA only, even my first seal was CA!, :rolleyes: that is a direct result of Neil's thread and the input on that thread, thanks for sharing those thoughts. Around 10 coats of thin CA, I did clean it of with diamond finish polyglaze. Amos:)

DJ’s Timber
24th June 2007, 09:13 PM
Very nice Amos, good fit and the finish looks great :2tsup:

Like the timber, don't think I have seen this one before

macca2
24th June 2007, 09:55 PM
I like it. Nice wood and great shape

bdar
24th June 2007, 11:25 PM
Amos you did an excellent job with it and the CA finish looks really good. Like the stands you are using, will have to get them one day.

Sorry for the bad writing Amos, it is Snotty Gobble, a member of the Grevillia family from Western Australia.

Just put my first piece in the lathe for a Carb-a-tec wood workers pencil. My piece was a little opened grained but not much. It did cut smooth and sanded well. Will finish it on Tuesday, I may have an RDO.

Darren

Touchwood
24th June 2007, 11:34 PM
Snotty Gobble is a tree that lives on my block!!! It has a long thin leaf and amazing papery/flakey bark. The fruit, a little berry, is suppose to be very tasty. Nice turning wood.

Snotty Gobble (Persoonia Falcata)

This yellow, somewhat tubular flower is quite unusual. The fruit is edible. It has a mutiple of uses for the aboriginal people. Known as the antiseptic tree, the leaves are used to treat circumcision wounds, diarrhoea and chest congestion. The wood is used to make axe handles, spear throwers and boomerangs.

JD

bdar
24th June 2007, 11:41 PM
JD it is nice stuff to use, get hold of a heap if you can. Rather be treated for the last two problems than the first:oo:
Cheers
Darren

Touchwood
25th June 2007, 12:43 AM
I do have some in my stock pile - have also turned some as gifts. Unfortunately I have a wood rule - it's not mine until it was given to me by the fire wood god (ie falls down) OR the 'dozer (ie was going to 'fall down') due to development.

Have you seen the bark? Will take a photo tomorrow if you'd like as it is amazing stuff.

JD

PenTurner
25th June 2007, 10:30 AM
Hey, Touchwood, maybe a little rabbit will ringbark the tree!!:rolleyes: Amos

Tonyz
25th June 2007, 05:53 PM
Touchwood, you ever tried it for circumcision,:D :2tsup: sounds scarey man, like how the stuff do the local people find that out and immagine if it went wrong:rolleyes:

Touchwood
25th June 2007, 11:00 PM
how the stuff do the local people find that out and immagine if it went wrong

.... have to admit that I just googled that piece of information and pasted it - mostly for the botanical name and tried for a photo.

Have I tried it? No, but sometimes after a day at work I wouldn't mind experimenting!!!!:o :o :o

JD

bdar
25th June 2007, 11:03 PM
JD that would be nice, I have seen a photo of the plant itself but not up close, if you do take a shot of the bark it would be nice to see.
Darren

ScrollZilla
25th June 2007, 11:11 PM
G'day Amos,
Another beautiful pen! I like the finish, but don't know that I would want to go through 10 coats of CA myself. Well done. As for the name, I love it. When I first started on the forum, with all the new woods (for me), and the different names, I was starting to wonder if you all were pulling my leg with the names. Had I seen Spotty Gobble, I would have been certain of it lol.

Cheers,

Rick

Touchwood
25th June 2007, 11:12 PM
Shall do, RAINING (that long awaited stuff!!) and dark as I came home today - tomorrow.

JD

Touchwood
2nd July 2007, 06:58 PM

Finally I have been home in day light! The rain hasn't helped, but you can probably see that the bark is like fine pieces of tissue paper.

JD

old dog
2nd July 2007, 08:39 PM
Amos that pen snot" bad mate! the grain is a bit like sheoak
l wonder if the sawdust has any healing benefits,
JD thanks for the picture of the tree it is interesting' are these limbs from a fully grown tree or is it just wiper sniper, one other thing mate! have you tried turning the roots yet.:D

Touchwood
2nd July 2007, 09:09 PM
are these limbs from a fully grown tree or is it just wiper sniper, one other thing mate! have you tried turning the roots yet.

These are the tree trunks - not a commercial viability for big things! The tree grows to about 3 -4 metres and is more shrub like to look at rather than tree like.

No, haven't tried roots - there are not too many trees of this type around.

JD

bdar
2nd July 2007, 09:29 PM
JD thank you for the photo of the tree, it is a lovely timber. You said not too much of it around. Too much clearing of trees or a slow growing tree?

Touchwood
2nd July 2007, 09:41 PM
I am about 13 km from the Post Office in the City of Bunbury ( have 8 acres of natural bushland with 30+ m tuarts, some jarrah, banksia, peppermint et al)- so I guess where I am proximity wise I am lucky to see anything bigger than a bottlebrush! Clearing would have been it's main threat here abouts - plus ignoramusus (sp?) might get rid of these smaller trees, not realising they are quite special. In untouched bushland they are still scarce, again probably due to their size and I would imagine a bush fire would make short work of them.
Bigger, tougher trees would take on the fires and scare off the city slickers!!

JD

old dog
3rd July 2007, 12:26 AM
JD great spot Bunbury fantastic caravan park too l stayed there a few days when l was touring around OS. Also are the dolphins still hanging around there l thought it was much better than Monkey Mia :2tsup:

Sebastiaan56
3rd July 2007, 07:28 AM
Also has the southernmost mangrove forest if I remember correctly,

Sebastiaan

Touchwood
3rd July 2007, 04:26 PM
JD great spot Bunbury fantastic caravan park too l stayed there a few days when l was touring around OS. Also are the dolphins still hanging around there l thought it was much better than Monkey Mia :2tsup:
Yes, dolphins are still here and breeding happily - much more layback than seeing dolphins at Monkey Mia - closer too:D Been there once, not a dolphin in sight!

southernmost mangrove forest
Yes, with the dolphins!!

JD