PDA

View Full Version : cheap dwelling for a bush block

schaf
22nd August 2003, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know of a forum to do with the subject following please:
A type of basic, inexpensive dwelling for a bush block.
It will require council approval.
We had hoped to erect a shed plus a tank and put in an composting toilet.
If one puts a 'shed' on a bush block they must submit plans for a dwelling at the same time ie to eliminate slummy living and to conform to a heath standard. Fine by us.
But we don't need a flash place to visit several times a year as a get-away.
Some demountables are quite expensive nowdays eg up of $50,000. We do not need a house, a such, but a bed and loo and bush shower would do.
Has anyone had an experience of erecting a simple dwelling that meets council approval or know of any company that does this?
We are not up to mud brick/straw/etc.
The block is at mid-Qld coast and gets very hot in summer.
We have library books on simple dwellings from Indonesia etc and something like that would do. Apparently the government contracted for simple dwellings to be provided for this area at one stage.
We are middle-aged.
Sheds can be built to withstand cyclones and I don't see why we can't experience a basic lifestyle in this type of structure.
Any help please?
Bye - Schaf

Neo
22nd August 2003, 11:39 AM
Schaf,
I have seen the 'ecovilla' on the web before and checked out the Corcon stand at the Canberra Lifestyle show a couple of months ago. This dwelling is apparently marketed in developing countries as a low cost housing alternative. Check out the site, there are videos etc and some good info. They use the 'mega anchor' which seems to me to be a really good idea and may be cost effective, especially in cases like yours where you want simplicity.

http://www.corcon.com/Video/lch/index.html

food for thought

Cheers
Pat

schaf
22nd August 2003, 09:18 PM
Neo:
(from Schaf's partner)
Thanks for this perfect example of what I am looking for.
Might I say that in my youth I dreamed of a large wave (just like this building) that rared up and remained static. I would wait and wait for it to come crashing down - then I'd wake up.
I also viewed this solidified dream in the form of 'Wave Rock' in West Aust and tried to plumb its message.
It would be a romantic thought to bring a dream image into reality.
I had thought of using bamboo flooring before (expensive, but desirable).
Thanks
Schaf

grumpywombat
22nd August 2003, 10:00 PM
schaf,

I am getting into woodwork myself because, eventually, I would like to build my own small place on a block of land.

I have nearly finished a sturdy workbench, which is ironic because every article I see about making a workbench is being made on a workbench!

I have bought GMC tools, because if they don't work (1 battery on a cordless drill) I take them back to Bunnies and 10 minutes later I walk out with a replacement, which I can do for up to 2 years. I don't expect miracles out of them and I think that if I get serious and buy a Triton whatever I will appreciate it all the more for the quality tool it, no doubt is, with added capability, quality etc etc.

I figure if I can progress up to outdoor bench, picture frame, coffee table, under house shelving storage unit etc then I will have accumulated enough skill to build my own frame, foundation, floor, roof, kitchen bench carcass, build stairs, erect square wall frames etc etc. If I realise I am crap at it then I'll know when to employ a tradesman and be happy enough to sit back and enjoy the show, plus work as his offsider, confident enough that I know what it is s/he may need when required.

I have been into the idea of owner building for a few years.

Here are my summaries...

Mudbrick is slow and very labour intensive. But a great look and feel.

Rammed earth is labour intensive, more efficient than Mudbrick.

Strawbale is very cool, looks great - smooth and organic, but I don't think it is worthwhile for a small dwelling - realtive to floor area the walls take up too much of the expensive footings/foundations.

Corrugated iron , fully insulated, on a wooden floor, on stumps is the cheapest, easiest, simplest and least skilled method of erecting a livable home. The "modern" curvy roof profiles are awesome. But I would stick to a simple woolshed type design with skillion kitchen/maintenance area (for fridge/freezer/washing mackine/solar power gear/storage etc.

I have lot'sof links to small house desing pictures etc but if you browse for:

"self contained" "holiday shack" "mountain retreat" etc - I have a good bookmark list, you'll get plenty of inspiration.

I get "owner builder/earth garden" magazines all the time. I stay in small cabin/homes regularly for field work. I am always surprised how easy it is to live in small, really small 5 by 7m to 8 by 10m places. less to clean, less to spend.

PLus you can always extend later.

Nuff said, feel free to contact for my list of sites etc

Cheers.

Ivan in Oz
24th August 2003, 07:16 PM
Scharf,

When you get closer to doing something about it;
run it past the local Building Inspector, and ask his opinion.

I'm presently doing renovations/Extensions and If I were to do it "Conventionally" I would not be able to, else it would be far to expensive.

I keep the inspector informed with what I'm doing,
and take a LOT of note of what he "Suggests"

I'm re-stumping, and adding a toilet, laundry, Bathroom and Rumpus Room [I tell the kids the RR is a Study]:mad:

Ivan

Eastie
25th August 2003, 07:05 AM
There can also be issues of insurance if you don't have building approvals.

The first evil is called warrantly insurance. This applies if you sell the land and structure within a given time period, i.e. in Victoria if you sell within seven years of having constructed/renovated (>$12k value). In this instance you are required to take out warrantly insurance to cover the quality of the job (aka your workmanship).

The second evil is that of general house insurance. You should discuss it with the insurer but there can be issues of not being able to insure your assets without appropriate building approvals and a cerificate of occupancy. If you do get insurance there may be a problem if you make a claim relevant to the building and they investigate the approvals, etc.

Also, there may be issues of being able to insure the structure as a shed/non-habitable structure, but not being able to insure the contents (household and personal items).

In relation to the materials you intend to use do some research on building materials and their properties - especially whether they are compatible/sympathetic to predominantly hot/cold environs - i.e. hay bale and dung houses may work well on the african savana but may not be such a great choice for the cool wet mountains of eastern Australia.

In any case if you use iron cladding, don't skimp on insulation - including the insulation properties of linings.

Hope this is of some use.
Mark
:)

Pulpo
25th August 2003, 04:13 PM
I have a bush block/ hobby farm near Goulburn.

There are now many of these farms around this way, all larger farms sub-divided to around 100 acres.

Anyway almost all my neighbours (about 7) have or had shed's that they stayed in.

One person over 3 years full time.

All have some form of power, a bathroom and toilet.

None have received a building approval from the council for a domestic dwelling.

To build a house that has council approval it must meet the building standards code. (not exactly sure of the title)

I spoke to the council's building inspector she informed me that all councils would follow the same code; she went on to mention that the difference between councils in Sydney and us is aesthetics.

On the issue of sheds one maybe build without council approval if its not within 70 metres of a road nor too near neighbours nor too massive. This is specific to this council.

My advice, build the shed with a BA, line it, insulate it, and live in it.

In the unlikely event that council inform you, that you can no longer stay in the residence then spend additional funds on the shed to comply with the building code.

It obviously depends on the area, the size of the block etc, but I do not think council will be too concern with the living conditions on your block of land.

I spoke to the building inspector about living in a shed, she knew that many in the area were doing it but was not concerned.

My 2nd hand shed $2,700 7m*12m,

There could be an issue with selling it if no BA.

Do you plan to build the dwelling yourselves?

I'm planning a composting toilet as well however if receiving a BA, this is not straight forward depends on council.

A couple of magazines, which you may have already heard of:

Owner Builder
Re-New
Earth Garden

Good Luck

Pulpo

schaf
26th August 2003, 10:49 PM
Eastie
Thanks.
I saw an insulation at a show called "Silverline Insulation" - says stops 97% radiant heat. At that time it was about $12 sq m. It is thicker than alfoil but that type of stuff. Supposedly put on the commercial market after being used by NASA space program and CSIRO tested.
Bye Schaf

Eastie
27th August 2003, 10:58 AM
Check the "R" rating. Most foil wraping are only afforded between a R0.5 - R1 rating. I'd be inclined to use the wrap in conjunction with a higher rating batt insultation for the walls and ceiling. Also think about the under floor area if heat loss is an issue at night.

re do 4 u
3rd September 2003, 05:43 PM
hi guys;
i checked into small, cheap houses a while back and found that an "A" frame design was probably the cheapest and easiest to build in an isolated place with limited power. the frames can be made flat on the ground over a chalk template on the already laid floor, and then stood up and braced, then cross braced and batterned and clad with iron. the ends can be anything and are not load bearing. the frames can be nailed, bolted or gangnailed together.

stephenmeddings
4th September 2003, 10:48 AM
On the topic of sheds as homes, a few weeks ago on Hot Auctions they had a couple who worked for a shed company actually built there new house from one of their sheds.

Also I have recently had a new workshop built. Its a RanBuild shed. http://www.ranbuild.com.au/barns.htm Check out some of the ideas they have on using their barns style sheds.

On the topic of building materials and insulation. A good place to start is CSIRO Australia (http://www.csiro.au/) click on the CSIRO enquires link and have a look around or give them a call. I work for the CSIRO myself, so I'm a little biased ;). They are very helpfull and I think sometimes they can put you in touch with a scientist working on the field in question.

Seahorse
4th September 2003, 08:22 PM
Search in Australia for "four horizons"....I think the address is

http://www.fourhorizons.com.au/lodges/index.htm

Seahorse

brettdel
5th September 2003, 09:16 AM
G'day schaf,

regarding "silver insulation" have you seen:

silverbatts (http://www.silverbatts.com.au/)

Brett

fxst
14th September 2003, 10:34 PM
ok people
Ive done some looking around and lots of thinking and cant seem to find anything about A Frame houses in Oz.
On our bushblock we want to move to permanantly and due to costs etc are looking at low cost homes
Oh did I mention solar is our option for power due to distance from power source.
anyone able to steer us to a site or architect type person that can help?
oh yeah I forgot to mention would like the a beams in steel as the termites are problamatic here and prefer to avoid poisons etc
Peter

re do 4 u
15th September 2003, 04:52 PM
check out www.homeplans.com not an oz site, but might give you some ideas. i guess most plans would come from countries that have more snow than we do. we stayed in an A frame house down the snow one year and it was very comfortable and warm. the shape's good for snow country as no snow can build up on the roof, and if you face it in the right direction the roof can be at right-angles to the winter sun for solar use. panels at this angle wouldn't get so dirty, and could be cleaned from the ground with a long handled broom and hose without having to use a ladder. there are plenty more advantages to this style of house, but I don't want to rattle on for hours. I've got no vested interest in A frames, but I guess you can tell that I lik'em..

happy house hunting..

ecovilla
7th January 2008, 05:03 PM
dear schaff and neo ,,,much water has passed under my ecovilla structures since then ,,,please view my web sites @ www.ecovilla.net.au (http://www.ecovilla.net.au) and www.ecovilla.com.au (http://www.ecovilla.com.au). and let me know how you progressed with your adventure. kind regards andy