PDA

View Full Version : Folding bandsaw blades

Daniel
22nd August 2003, 02:23 PM
As an apprentice I was required to fold bandsaw blades or that is the ones that didn't break, but now I cannot remember how it is done.

I searched the group for this subject but could not find anything.

While searching the web I found this video on the subject, the address is below. Hope it is of interest.

I will try and fold the blade the video way.

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/wvt055.asp

Daniel

Dan
22nd August 2003, 11:02 PM
Its the unfolding bit that makes me nervous :(

fxst
22nd August 2003, 11:34 PM
nope no worries there
Just throw it onto the shed (oops.... workshop) floor and it uncoils itself
Peter

Daniel
23rd August 2003, 10:32 AM
I new there was a throwing part to the whole process but I thought it was to fold the blade. Thats where I went wrong.

The video folding way works.

Daniel

NOLID
4th February 2004, 11:24 AM
:) Hi PPL.from a pom in U.K. I have a small saw classed as a hobby,well I wasnt happy with the blade ,had two bigger ones madeup,now it cuts like a giant, the sise is only1085mm.,and was a mere5 16ths wide,I had 1/4"and1/2"made boy it's now a cracker,so dont slag your saw buy better blades,as to the unfolding,cut tape and sling it and run like hell, NOLID:rolleyes:

Wood Borer
4th February 2004, 05:04 PM
Daniel,

I work at the Mitcham end of Nunawading. If you bring down a bandsaw blade to my office I will show you two ways of folding them.

There might even be a cuppa for you also.

- Wood Borer

asis
8th June 2005, 06:42 PM
I need to access a video once more as I am having trouble remembering how to fold a blade. I was aware of two different methods a few years ago but lack of practice dulls the mind. The video link is apparently not active any more (last thread was around 2003). Is there another web site where this video is permanently available? I remember seeing a 10 second video on the folding process somewhere on the web. Can anyone point me to a working link?
Thanks

Landseka
8th June 2005, 08:28 PM
When you say "folding a bandsaw blade" do you mean coiling it up so it stays in a snug bundle?
If so, have a look at how car fan belts, or any other new drive belts are coiled in their packaging.
If there is a cluey salesperson there they may even show you how to twist-coil them. It is simple but there is a knack to it.
I am sure you could coil a saw blade the same way.

Regards

Neil.

Groggy
8th June 2005, 08:43 PM
This includes a windows media video:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/coilbsblde.html

For some other good gumph, look here:

http://www.newwoodworker.com/tipstrksdir.html

Harry72
8th June 2005, 10:50 PM
I can do my smaller blades a 6mm and a 16mm, but my resaw blade just plain scares me I dont fancy a tip to the doc to get some stitches(32mm 1tpi), so it just hangs up in the shed!

ptc
9th June 2005, 11:46 AM
Henry bros blades nearly fold them selves. just sent three back to them as i ordered the wrong size. must admit i had gloves ON !

as_is
10th June 2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks to all.. I downloaded the images and the video. Folding the blade by stepping on one end and twisting to coil it was one method I was aware of but forgotten how to. It is now a permanent video on my desktop until I become proficient at it... The previous video I lost the link to was showing the blade held in the air (teeth facing away) and folding/bending it in one easy swoop.... Anyway, any method is acceptable as long as the result is the same. Thanks for the tips..