PDA

View Full Version : Carvel

rohinmyson
26th June 2007, 07:08 PM
Goodaye all new to the site. I've been thinking about building a boat and I heard thr term carvel building. What is carvel building.

Gumby
26th June 2007, 07:49 PM
:google2:

boatchippy
26th June 2007, 09:49 PM
Carvel is longitudinal planking over ribs and frames. Planks are cut to shape, sometimes steam bent and fastened with copper nails, silicon bronze screws or dumps etc.

Daddles
27th June 2007, 10:55 AM
Gawd, they're making it hard for you aren't they, grumpy old sods.

In simple terms (you can make it a lot more complicated and add in a lot more methods I'm sure), there are two basic types of traditional, planked boats. Clinker has the planks overlapping to give that lovely 'shingle' look and relies on the wood expanding in the water to keep the water out. Carvel has the planks butted against each other and the boat is sealed using caulking, to give a smooth hull. In both cases, the planks are held to the boat using rivets through ribs.

If you're new to boat building and want that traditional look, I'd suggested you go with the more modern, clinker plywood method (as in my avatar) - the planks are cut out of marine ply rather than solid timber and are glued together using epoxy. The boat is easier to build, probably quicker to build, waterproof without relying on caulking or the timber swelling and much lower in maintenance.

Or, if you don't mind flat bottoms and slab sides, Mik's GIS is an elegant, very fast, easy to build design that will get you on the water more quickly than any of the above (allowing you to sail while you build your dream boat) and which will teach you all the skills you need for something more complex - it's one of those rare boats suited to the novice and the expert alike :2tsup:

Richard

Gumby
27th June 2007, 01:29 PM
Gawd, they're making it hard for you aren't they, grumpy old sods.

I don't think so. I googled carvel and got heaps of info. It's that easy.:cool: