PDA

View Full Version : Vans for handyman

Just George
26th June 2007, 08:19 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for a van for a handyman business?

There are the ex-Telstra vans that have roof racks for carrying ladders etc and shelves inside.

This I know, does anyone have any other tips on what to look for?

martrix
26th June 2007, 09:49 PM
When I was researching vans to buy it was between the VW Transporter and the Hiace. Ended up going with the Hiace on the recommendation of my mechanic. I think you need to pull the engine out in the VW just to change the clutch.:oo:

So far it has been incredibly reliable (touch wood). 254000km on the clock. I stuck a good roof rack on top and welded up some racks which bolt to the inside body for tying things down. Fits an 8x4 lying down as well as standing up.

Burnsy
26th June 2007, 09:57 PM
This all really depends on your situation and what you want. Here is what I have done and it works a treat. I already had a rodeo ute on gas that is nice to drive and I had no intention of upgrading. I also like the flexability of a ute, though I own a trailer so that allows extra flexability. But I hated carrying big tool boxes and having to get the particular tools I thought I would need for a job out each morning and putting them into the tool boxes (I have tried this and it was not good for me although that is not to say it won't be any good for you). I also wanted to be able carry six metre lengths of timber and pipe. I managed to get a really nice second hand trade back for $400 that came with lockable latches. I had watched this ute back sitting in a yrad for 12 months before I went and door knocked the guy, he had upgraded to a newer Trademate and was open to offers. I was happy as the new equivalent of what I got is $2000, also, it came with an alloy tray attached which I sold for $100 so all up $300 was a great deal.

At this stage I have bolted this directly onto my ute tray and it is fantastic, access from both sides and easily holds all my gear. I work timber and hard Landscaping on the side so this allows me to attend my regular job with all my tools and shoot off after work to put in a few hours on the tools. I recently finished a picket fence and was happy to find that I could fit a pack of 1200mm pickets into the ute back via forklift with all my compressor, saws and other gear in it, very handy. The back also has racks that mean I can carry the long lengths I require.

Longer term, my aim is to mount the back on its own base that is reinforced with lifting lugs on all four corners. This will mean I can keep all my tools in the unit in custom built shelves all the time. So I don't have to worry about carrying everything with me to shops etc when I don't require it I can leave the whole kit at home in the shed by lifting it off complete with tools. This also allows use of my ute as a ute when needed. I have not done this yet as I am awaiting my shed extension that will incorporate an I beam for my chain block to lift it on and off with. The idea is that when I don't need the back on for a job, I lift it off and sit it onto a steel base that is on castors. All my tools will reside in this on the base locked in the trademans back locked in the shed - double security. It also means I don't need to create additional cabinets and storage for tools in the shed and I am never caught at a job thinking gee I wish I had my thingamabob, because it is in the ute back where it always lives.

Because I don't need all my tools everyday and I worry about having everything in the ute when it is not needed this suits me. I really hate lugging air compressors, brick saws and compactors on and off the ute when I get home because I want to take the dogs to the beach.

As I said, works for me, I wish someone had have suggested it years ago when I was on the tools full time. I used big tool boxes then and always regret not spending the money to make life easier then. Spend now and benefit from it, don't do it hard now only to spend the money anyway in two years time.

Remember vans are only accessable from one side unless you buy a really expensive one, there is a reason most people don't make work benches the width of a car - you can't reach the other side without climbing up onto it:rolleyes:

Just George
11th July 2007, 03:18 PM
This is the van I chose. It has a Telstra fitout inside and roof racks with double sliding doors.

Cheers

Guy
13th July 2007, 11:16 PM
what you can do is make a false bottome to the van, just make up a series of boxes about 300mm high and have removeable lids with carpet attatched to the top. You can then place tools etc into them so they are out of sight from prying eyes. It also allows you to carry sheets of board laying flat inside the van.
The only problem doing this is you will have reduced headroom inside, it is a toss up between security of your tool and ergonomics of reaching things inside.
Until recentley i had been doing a similar thing but gave it all up for a well paid jobe with plenty of overseas travel.

Good luck in your venture

Just George
29th July 2007, 09:04 PM
My finance fell through seeing as I had just left a job when we were applying for finance to buy the business. I therefore got the deposit back on the van I had, now I am looking at doing it slightly differently so I won't be just limited to a white van which was the requirement of the buisness I was going to buy.

Cheers for your thoughts though.