PDA

View Full Version : pine cone slimline

old dog
27th June 2007, 09:49 AM
l pick up these pine cones on the side of the road between Tooborac and EmuFlat in nth Victoria the landscape through there is just unreal with large bolder volcanic rocks just hanging on too the earth and the old pine trees just paint picture .

TTIT
27th June 2007, 10:11 AM
Maaate! - that is magnificent - love it to death!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Fox3
27th June 2007, 10:14 AM
Lovely!

A most interesting pen. Must have been a HUGE pine cone to get a pen out of it.

lubbing5cherubs
27th June 2007, 10:18 AM
BEAUTIFUL. I love pine cone pens. Did you just drill and turn or set it in resin first? I have done it straight but am wondering if resin setting it will make it more stronger. Which way did you go?
Toni

Terry B
27th June 2007, 10:18 AM
What a great concept. I like it a lot.:)

DJ’s Timber
27th June 2007, 11:01 AM
Fantastic, looks unreal :2tsup:.

How about a Tutorial on how you did it.

ScrollZilla
27th June 2007, 11:13 AM
G'day Old Dog,
That is awesome, gnarly, da bomb! Okay, sorry for the yank speak. Wow!. I really like that. Well done.

Cheers,

Rick

Brown Dog
27th June 2007, 02:22 PM
now that is a spectacular looking pen...top work Old Dog:2tsup:

I second DJ's comment about the tute. I would be very interested to copy...oops, I mean see how you went about it:;

cheers
BD:U

lubbing5cherubs
27th June 2007, 04:00 PM
G'day Old Dog,
That is awesome, gnarly, da bomb! Okay, sorry for the yank speak. Wow!. I really like that. Well done.

Cheers,

Rick RIck funny here in Oz
gnarly is usually something twisted and ugly and old thing
a bomb is usually a car that had it days.

Funny how two country totally different meanings:)
Toni

old dog
27th June 2007, 04:11 PM
With this pen l used two pine cones cut them square using a vice and a hand saw and a dust mask is a must use, once the cones are square up' put the a cone back in the vice on its side not all the way you don't want too glue it to the vise now nip the vice up nice and tight' put on the safety glasses l also use a fan too blow the fumes away' now one at a time soak each side and the ends with a thin super glue' let the side set then move too the next side you can use the quick accelerator if you want, l do on the ends after drilling, now this is not a quick process too do also l use a super glue from the two dollar shops its cheap and does the job.Now after you drill the holes in the blank soaked the holes in thin super glue or ca is what most call it.Don't forget to do the ends they are most important l use a two pack glue too glue in the tubes then l used the thin ca right though too the finish.the reason for all the ca glue is obvious pine cone is very soft.So good luck l hope this will help those who want too try pine cones any more questions just ask me. cheers for now John

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th June 2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the breakdown, John. :thyel: As others have said, that's a spectacular pen.

Now to see how many cones I can ruin before I decide to go back to goblets. :wink:

dai sensei
27th June 2007, 06:49 PM
Amazing pen. You'll have us all looking for cones now.

Allan at Wallan
27th June 2007, 08:31 PM
That's another day out of my week gone now
... looking for suitable pine cones.
How am I supposed to fit in a bit of vacuuming
for the missus with this extra woodworking duty.

But congratulations, what a fantastic result!

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.:D

bdar
27th June 2007, 09:33 PM
OD thanks for reminding me how fantastic the pine cones do look. Your preparation efforts have been well rewarded. Which kit did you use for the pen? It looks like a nice style.
Darren

Touchwood
27th June 2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Old Dog
stunning pens, feeling the urge to duplicate!!!

would like to ask two clarification questions if I may:
1. is the cone cut length wise?
2. is the cone best if it hasn't opened?

:roll: Know where there are some pine trees tucked away in the middle of some bush land; have horse, will travel!

thanks
JD

ScrollZilla
27th June 2007, 11:56 PM
Old Dog,
You can teach me new tricks anyday. Thanks so much for explaining your process. I showed that picture to the missus and she flipped. I guess when we are on vacation next week, we will be adding pine cone hunting to the list. Also on the list is old barns. My wife and daughter love to take pictures of them. If I can find some that are not in good repair, and I can find the owner, I will ask if a couple of those planks can find their way into the car. I was surprised to find that a lot of the old barns around here used black locust for wood. Might be interesting....then again, it might not. Only one way to find out for sure lol.

Cheers,

Rick

chrisb691
28th June 2007, 12:07 AM
Just magic!!! :2tsup:

old dog
28th June 2007, 01:24 AM
Darren the nib is euro and l use the 60mm tube l use euro nib because it gives you a bit more meat on the bone
the clip is a slimline ball clip from Jim Carroll's

JD you will be looking for dried pine cones that have opened up make sure the cone is not rotten if you can pull the cone apart using your hands its no good
next too cut the cones length ways
first put the big end in the vise, next l use a cheap Stanley coping saw l cut all the seed off from the point end down too the big end flip it over too do bottom end.
now this is where you start too square the blank up, try too keep the core in the center off your square then cut the sides up square take your brass tube put it next to cone start at the small end, get a ruff measure too where you make your end cuts if your doing a s/line pen thin cones are best.

Touchwood
29th June 2007, 01:32 AM
Thanks for that,:2tsup: think the gutters may take 2nd place this weekend .... tough decision, water for next year or pine cone pen:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JD

PenTurner
29th June 2007, 10:28 AM
EEE!!HAAAA!!!,I feel a touch of nostalgia, I am Pining away!What a beaut pen Old Dog,:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup: and thanks for the breakdown, now don't be bashful, make another and photograph the steps, a picture is worth a thousand words! Keep it up, Amos:)

old dog
29th June 2007, 03:44 PM
thanks guys now pictures l will see what l've got laying around here some where.l can never find stuff when l want it.l have so many projects on the go at moment and l am that fare behind its not funny l can show you photos off my mess just bear with me for the moment :?

old dog
29th June 2007, 10:27 PM
Ok l put this topic to the top of my list after my last post l went into the shed and cut and drilled a pine cone l have used a 7mm tube and it is the euro 60mm tube
first 3 lots of photos shows cutting l don't have a bandsaw so l use a hand coping saw.Now in one lot photos it shows the small end cone wrapped in string l measure the bottom end then wrap string around the small end too make it the same size' by doing this you can set the blank up very quick and drill them straight after drilling put super glue in the hole l use a cotton bud to spread the glue in the hole watch out for fumes it can burn your eyes its best to use a fan after the glue dries l use a rat tail file too smooth the hole l also use 80grit to ruff up the tubes now l hope this helps

DJ’s Timber
29th June 2007, 11:01 PM
Looks great OD. So you need to use 2 cones to do the one pen

PenTurner
30th June 2007, 12:03 AM
Old Dog, Thank you, what I see is not what I read before, that is because I find it hard to visualize some things, but that is wonderful thread you have done, Amos:2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

old dog
30th June 2007, 01:01 AM
Yes DJ 2 cones
Amos no prob's mate!:D
Also once you cut all the seed off and had a band saw make up a jig and use it

ScrollZilla
30th June 2007, 02:13 AM
G'day Old Dog,
Thank you so much for the picture tutorial. It was really helpful for me. I really appreciate the extra effort you put in. Can't wait to go for a walk in the woods. Will have my pine cone bag handy.

Cheers,

Rick

old dog
30th June 2007, 01:12 PM
ln all my rush l have left off one group of photos so l added them today they belong in 3rd position after cutting the blank.l could of deleted all and started again but l think you can work it out buy looking at the pictures, sorry about that .:rolleyes::-:?:(:D

Gil Jones
30th June 2007, 02:54 PM
Gorgeous pinecone pen, Old Dog!!!
Thanks for sharing your magic with us. :2tsup:
I burn about 350 large (200mm tall X 120mm wide) pinecones a month (maybe more) when I clean up the yard for grass cutting. I reckon a few need to be saved now. Have you ever tried a dry corncob for a pen? They look good, but not as pretty as your pinecone pen.

philf
30th June 2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Old dog,

Great looking pen, and thx for tutorial, as they
say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Rgds Phil.