PDA

View Full Version : 2 things

Wongo
27th June 2007, 11:33 AM
Thing 1.
Pat and I were hanging around at the LN stall at the WW show. I picked up a plane and had a go at a piece of Huon pine. As I reached the end of the board, I heard someone said something like “lift the plane a little bit”.

I looked around and before I had time to thank this person for his advice, he walked away. You see the situation? The old master gives an advice and disappears. :bowdown: :cool:

Then I watched Rob Cosman on DVD last night. I watched him using his plane and he didn't do that. Hang on, that is not what my master said.:o

So who is right?

Thing 2.
I also watched 1 episode of new yankee workshop on DVD. It was a bit like watch the guy in better homes and gardens. (bang bang bang and it is done). What surprised me most was the way he cut MDF with a router. No dust collection, no mask. It was just dust everywhere.:yucky:

AlexS
27th June 2007, 11:40 AM
1. As you get to the end of the stroke, take your weight off the front of the plane and transfer it to the back. Then lift it as you come back for the next stroke. (OK, let's not start that argument again, just do it!)

2. Dust collector and mask removed for demonstration purposes.

Wongo
27th June 2007, 11:41 AM

I love that one.:2tsup: :D

jmk89
27th June 2007, 11:46 AM

Maybe Norm doesn't like himself either

les88
27th June 2007, 10:04 PM
at the start of the planing action weight on the front to start the cutting action at the end weight on the back. you are not lifting the plane just putting weight evenly on the cutting blade

Driver
27th June 2007, 10:24 PM
Thing 1.
As I reached the end of the board, I heard someone said something like “lift the plane a little bit”.

I looked around and before I had time to thank this person for his advice, he walked away. You see the situation? The old master gives an advice and disappears. :bowdown: :cool:

But, Scott, it only counts if he addressed you as "Grasshopper". :wink:

bitingmidge
28th June 2007, 08:48 PM
But, Scott, it only counts if he addressed you as "Grasshopper". :wink:

That's true, but if he was a fair dinkum Master, he would have said:

"Lift on,

Lift off...."

P
:D :D :D

Wongo
29th June 2007, 10:10 AM