PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Welsh plugs on truck

DJ’s Timber
27th June 2007, 01:21 PM
My poor old truck sprung a leak the other day and on further investigation, I discovered that one of my welsh plugs had rust through :C.

Normally a simple job to replace but this one is behind the injector pump :~, so I have to pull it out just to get to the plug. While it is out I will replace the other ones too, don't want to have the other ones spring a leak further down the track say like next week or the month after :no:.

DavidG
27th June 2007, 01:56 PM
While you are at it, look for one in the end of the head. Usually the end you can not get at..........
Put some antifreeze, antirust in it.

MICKYG
27th June 2007, 02:18 PM
Dj, just to make it interesting check a service manual and see if there is a welsh plug in the rear of the block in between the block and where the bellhousing bolts on, quite a mission to replace if it has one there. Anti freeze / coolant usually takes care of the corrosion problem which you have failed to maintain.

Regards Mike:wink:

echnidna
27th June 2007, 03:18 PM
I've cut a hole in the firewall to get at the one in back of the head then just covered the hole with a plate

DJ’s Timber
27th June 2007, 03:23 PM
Have bought anti freeze/coolant to put in, I have only had this truck a short time and that was how it came. Will be getting a good going over soon and all the little bits and pieces sorted out :2tsup:

munruben
27th June 2007, 03:45 PM
Interesting to note, these plugs are also called Welch plugs and freeze plugs. and back in the old country some people called them pennies. Apparently a penny was the right size for some of the holes and they were used to replace the old ones.:rolleyes:

joe greiner
27th June 2007, 04:15 PM
"Freeze plugs" is a popular misnomer. Frozen coolant will crack the block, not push out the plug. They're actually used to plug the holes left by the lumps of sand holding the sand core in place while casting the engine parts.

Joe

munruben
4th July 2007, 09:54 PM
"Freeze plugs" is a popular misnomer. Frozen coolant will crack the block, not push out the plug. They're actually used to plug the holes left by the lumps of sand holding the sand core in place while casting the engine parts.

Joe
I actually had a Bedford truck in England and didn't have anti freeze in it, just water and a hard frost did exactly that, the plugs pushed out of the block and the block itself was intact, only had to install new plugs. I know this isn't their primary function but have seen this happen on numerous occasions in the uk

joe greiner
5th July 2007, 01:50 AM
I actually had a Bedford truck in England and didn't have anti freeze in it, just water and a hard frost did exactly that, the plugs pushed out of the block and the block itself was intact, only had to install new plugs. I know this isn't their primary function but have seen this happen on numerous occasions in the uk

Happens often enough to justify the terminology, I guess. Probably a threshhold where the remaining frozen coolant would still crack the block; maybe in the far north, such as Scandinavia, Alaska and such. Nice to know they sometimes work that way, though. Thanks, John.

Joe

les88
5th July 2007, 08:58 AM
A motor mechanic friend of mine gave this tip on installing welsh plugs. Use a socket that fits tight in the plug [ I had to grind a socket to fit my plugs tight] and you can control the angle of entry easily. You can add an extension piece to the socket if it is hard to hit.
les

journeyman Mick
5th July 2007, 11:29 PM
I've cut a hole in the firewall to get at the one in back of the head then just covered the hole with a plate

You too huh?:D

Mick

echnidna
5th July 2007, 11:37 PM
No flies on us Mick :wink:

munruben
6th July 2007, 01:49 PM
No flies on us Mick :wink:
No, but you can see where they have been. :D

soundman
8th July 2007, 12:01 AM
don't forget the "stag".

krikey that stuff has been arround a long time & is still remarkable stuff.

its food safe too.

cheers

ptrott
8th July 2007, 09:18 PM

Joe

Hence the Australian common name "Core Plug"

soundman
8th July 2007, 09:42 PM
do we call them core plugs so as not to be disrespectfull to the welsh?:?

cheers

echnidna
8th July 2007, 10:31 PM
actually they are welch plugs

joe greiner
9th July 2007, 04:05 AM
"Brief History of the Welch Plug"

http://www.britishcarweek.org/welch_plug.html

Q&D search of USPTO failed to find the original patent. Pre-1976 available only as images, so would need to find one (>=1976) with a reference to the original - lotsa luck.

Joe

dazzler
9th July 2007, 10:31 AM
You too huh?:D

Mick

Glad you pair aren't surgeons :wink: :D