PDA

View Full Version : Fingernail Jig --- take 2

Alastair
29th June 2007, 02:17 PM
As promised, herewith some pics and description of my take on the 'unijig' .

Pic 1 shows basic construction. It was made up from stock extrusions bought at Bunnies, and assembled with pop rivets. Pillaged my sons' geometry set for the protractor. Pivot point turned from scrap nylon.

Pic 2. & 3. Multiple profile gouge base routed from scrap oak, and drilled/ carved to locate on pop rivets. This will handle from 8mm detail, through bowl and up to 1 1/2" roughing, (in my case 5 variants.) Clamp, (from cupboard hinge) ensures gouge orientation reproducible, by pressing on edges of flute. Clamp bolt threaded directly into ally, and knob from epoxy cast in coke lid.

Pic 4. Gouge clamped in, and projection set .

Pic 5. Offset angle set on protractor.

Alastair
29th June 2007, 02:47 PM
Pic 1. Projection of jig pivot set using template. I experiment with settings until I have the result I want, then cut template from mdf on bandsaw, leaving oversize. Start grinder, and grind to exact fit. This idea, copied from Soren Berger also compensates (at least partly) for wheel wear. Pivot again from stock extrusions, and pivot turned from nylon. Note all settings on template. I make up a unique template for each tool.

Pics 2 & 3. Grinding Bowl gouge. Notice difference in angle between tip and wing.

Pics 4 & 5. Detail of profile.

Alastair
29th June 2007, 03:10 PM
Pic 1 & 2. Profile of 8mm detail gouge.

Pic 3. I made this insert for grinding skews and scrapers, but never use it. Found for skew that while great for skew ankle, and cutting angle, it was very difficult to avoid grinding with a ‘twisted edge’. i.e. the cutting edge was not parallel to the flat sides of the skew. Also setup for scrapers and bedans was too fiddly to be worth, so reverted to………

Pic 4. Homemade tool table. As I hone skew on oilstone, grinding is infrequent, so just inch up to the right setting by trial and error. Mainly used for quick regrinding of scraper burr, and parting/ sizing tools, which are very quick to set up

Hope this is of interest to someone!

regards

rsser
29th June 2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the post Alastair.

Nice bit of work.

Cliff Rogers
29th June 2007, 07:09 PM
Looks good. I own a Unijig. :2tsup:

OGYT
30th June 2007, 03:38 PM
Well done tute, Alastair, greenie launched!
I see it's 60mm on the pivot extension. How much extension do you use, from the cutting edge to the jig, on the 16mm gouge? Looks to be about 50mm...

TTIT
1st July 2007, 01:42 AM
The things you can do without a welder eh!:2tsup: Good job Alastair. A bit of scrap steel and a welder make a Unijig pretty easy to copy but you got around it with tools most woodies-only would have - ingenuity!

Stu in Tokyo
1st July 2007, 02:32 AM
Looks good and if you are getting the desired results, well that's great! :2tsup:

Alastair
2nd July 2007, 10:34 AM
Well done tute, Alastair, greenie launched!
I see it's 60mm on the pivot extension. How much extension do you use, from the cutting edge to the jig, on the 16mm gouge? Looks to be about 50mm...

Hi Al

The projection of the tool from the jig, set on the step guage, is 60mm. The extension of the pivot is more, ~150mm, and is set with the template. I just use the template as the most convenient place to note down all the settings for that particular tool.

Some tools, like my well worn 1/2" detail, don't have enough flute left for the 60mm, hence need a lesser projection

scooter
2nd July 2007, 11:24 PM
.:2tsup:

OGYT
3rd July 2007, 02:57 PM
The projection of the tool from the jig, set on the step guage, is 60mm. The extension of the pivot is more, ~150mm, and is set with the template. I just use the template as the most convenient place to note down all the settings for that particular tool.
Thanks, Alastair, for clearin' th' fog. :2tsup: