PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have this problem

Rod Smith
20th November 2000, 11:13 PM
I often find red marks on my work after staining and usually before finishing (if I'm looking properly. It seems to be an attraction between any wayward glue and the red in my stain. Its not just where I have failed to clean up the glue well enough but also on veneered panels (factory produced). Fixing them is not a big drama provided theres no finish on it, but its somthing I'd prefer not to deal with. I use wattyl craftsman stain concoctions mostly. Any tips? Cheers, Rod

RETIRED
20th November 2000, 11:38 PM
Seein red Rod? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

Jeff
9th December 2000, 08:30 AM
are you getting the wood well cleaned before you put the stain on? I reccomend always giving the wood a good wash with Acetone prior to putting on stain. Also, are you using a sealer prior to the stain? This would follow the acetone wash. The purpose of the sealer is to prepare the wood so that it takes a good even coat of stain and doesn't leave streaks or splotches. I use a product made here in the states called Benite for this purpose but I'm sure you have something similar there. Try adding these two steps and your problem should go away.

------------------
"Turning wood into treasures"

Rod Smith
9th December 2000, 02:32 PM
Thanks Jeff, I'll look into that. Have used acetone before to get rid of oily problems. See ya. Rod