PDA

View Full Version : Addresses to buy japanese tools in japan?

fjuhec
29th June 2007, 05:15 PM
Hello,

I am new here. I found the forum while looking for japanese woodcarving tools.

I have been looking for web sites to buy tools but I am also looking for addresses of japanese blacksmiths because I am going to Japan in a month and I want to buy some tools there. I am interested in knifes more than chisels.

I started doing woodcarving last month an I found that I like to use a knife instead of many chisels even if it takes me longer to get the shape I want.

Thank you.

RufflyRustic
29th June 2007, 10:02 PM
Hi fjuhec

I entered 'japanese dovetail chisels' into Google and during the first 5 pages, came up with 2-4 Japanese shops, in Japan.

I did notice that one of the sites, or maybe it was Soatoz' :rolleyes: had Japanese knives on it.

cheers
Wendy

Shedhand
29th June 2007, 10:32 PM
Try here (http://www.japan-tool.com/). A good guy who knows a lot including many Japanese blacksmiths.

Stu in Tokyo
29th June 2007, 11:22 PM
Hi fjuhec, I'm in Japan, well Tokyo.

I've not made the trip out to any of the local or not so local blacksmiths yet, but I'd sure like to go.

If you are planning on going to any around Tokyo, maybe we could hook up?

Do you speak Japanese?

if not, maybe I could tag along a help you out with that?

Cheers!

Groggy
30th June 2007, 12:10 AM
A Spaniard and a Canadian in Japan organising a visit to Japanese tool stores from within an Aussie forum. Yep, now I've seen it all ...:D

Stu in Tokyo
30th June 2007, 12:57 AM
A Spaniard and a Canadian in Japan organizing a visit to Japanese tool stores from within an Aussie forum. Yep, now I've seen it all ...:D

I guess we have gone "Global" :2tsup:

fjuhec
30th June 2007, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the search tip and the link.

Stu, I don't speak japanese but I have a friend there that can help me. I will stay at his house near Tokyo and I plan to visit some cities as far as Hiroshima.

It would be very nice if we can meet and look for a shop near Tokyo while I am there.
I think it could be fun. For now I haven't found any shop in Tokyo but I will continue searching until I go to Japan in August. We can keep in touch to organize the meeting.

Cheers!

soatoz
30th June 2007, 03:13 PM
Hi,

I know way too many, don't know where to start with. When you say a knife, what kind of knife? What kind of steel? How much do you intend to spend on one?

If you are keen, let me know the above, and hopefully I can hook you up with nice tool shops or blacksmiths. Just around Tokyo there are Nagahiro, Hidari Hisasaku, Konobu, Kanda Kikuo (Mosaku), Metsugu Norimitsu, Ishido, Heiji, etc. Many many shops apart from the blacksmiths too. But basically blacksmiths don't really deal directly with customers in Japan (some do, but it is generally considered taboo, due to the pressure from the wholesalers), so you might not be albe to place any order, especially if your friend doesn't speak fluent Japanese. Also they don't have any ready made tools, so you'd have to bring a blue print with you, preferably a wooden model, and ask the blacksmith to make it to the spec.

You won't be shown selection of tools to choose from or anything, unless you go to more modern westernized tool shops like "Tokyo Hands" a department store like large scale hardware store. Traditional Japanese blacksmiths and shops might even seem relectant to sell anything, and you might feel this is because you are a "gaijin (foreigner)", but NO that's not the case. They are like that even if you are Japanese. They don't want to deal with anyone who doesn't know about the tools. They don't care about selling.

I can't really recommend anyone without more details but try Tsuchida Hamono Ten (土田刃物店) in Sangenjaya (三軒茶屋), Tokyo. The most famous tool shop in Japan. Super small, you'd be surprised how small it is. But in the back there are tons of super rare tools stocked. But unless you bring someone who re~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ally knows about J tools, you won't be likely to be shown those high quality tools. He'll just ask you what you are after, and if you can't be very specific, he'll just show you economy tools. Not suited for novice tool fans in that sense. Don't expect any friendly service. But this is the most traditional Japanese tool shop.

If you can go to Ibaragi prefecture, visit Nakaya Heiji (中屋平治). You can see his chef's knife in my HP. He makes various tools, so I'm sure he can take your orders. I can speak to him for you that you are coming to see him if you'd like. He should be the friendliest blacksmith in Japan along with Tasai, but his tools are very expensive because he does everything the traditional way using very old steel stock.

Ishido (石堂) is now in Tochigi which is close from Tokyo, so you might want to visit the 12th generation Yoshitaka (Hideo has passed away just a while ago) as well. Hideo was one of the most famous blacksmith in Japan.

None of above mentioned people speak a word of English so be sure to take a Japanese speaking friend with you if you decide to visit them, and better if you did some research on J tools if you are not too familiar, otherwise you won't be able to comunicate with them at all. Shirogami ichigou, aogami ichigou, tannso-kou, goukin-kou, nihon-ji, kamaji, etc.

RobTro
1st July 2007, 02:43 AM
Hi Soatoz, sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

I work near Miki City and was wondering if you know any stores there to buy tools from? saws and chisels.

The problem with Miki City is that like many "country" cities they are not really cities like in western terms. Miki is sought of sprawled out all over the place. So any guidance as to where to visit would be great.

Thanks
Rob

fjuhec
3rd July 2007, 09:28 PM
Hi Soatoz, thanks for the advice.

The kind of knife I am using right now is a cheap knife made by a local company used by electricians. I bought it for 5 Euro at a local store and I have been using it for some time now. I have attached a picture of it. It has a good edge.

The main problem with the knife I am using now is that its blade is not very thin, it is too wide. Its length is good enough.

I have been checking your site and you have some knives like what I am looking for. The kuri-kogatana pairs look nice, the kiridashi also look interesting and the watetsu knives too. I think I could spend 300-500 Euro in the knife if I like it. I am looking for a white steel knife, with good edge to do woodcarving and use it as my main carving tool.

What I don't know is the difference between the different kinds of knives (kuri-kogatana and others) or if they are strong enough to carve the wood, not only marking it. I am not looking for a marking knife but I don't know which ones are for marking.

soatoz
4th July 2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Soatoz, sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

I work near Miki City and was wondering if you know any stores there to buy tools from? saws and chisels.

The problem with Miki City is that like many "country" cities they are not really cities like in western terms. Miki is sought of sprawled out all over the place. So any guidance as to where to visit would be great.

Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob,

Hijack anytime mate. This kinda hijacking is always welcome.

First of all let me ask you if you speak good Japanese or you have any J friend who knows well about tools you can bring with.

Cheers

soatoz
4th July 2007, 02:23 PM
The kind of knife I am using right now is a cheap knife made by a local company used by electricians. I bought it for 5 Euro at a local store and I have been using it for some time now. I have attached a picture of it. It has a good edge.

If you are after this kind of Euro style knife, you'd have to go to a knife maker, rather than a traditional blacksmith or toolshop. Basically buying from a retailer would be cheaper than going to the maker directly. Makers would seldome sell cheaper than the retail price. This is to protect the wholesalers. The makers and the wholesalers are mutually supporting each other. This is the same with the traditional blacksmiths.

The main problem with the knife I am using now is that its blade is not very thin, it is too wide. Its length is good enough.

I see, but J knives are even thicker I think.

I have been checking your site and you have some knives like what I am looking for. The kuri-kogatana pairs look nice, the kiridashi also look interesting and the watetsu knives too. I think I could spend 300-500 Euro in the knife if I like it. I am looking for a white steel knife, with good edge to do woodcarving and use it as my main carving tool.

I see, if you have that much budget in your mind, I'm sure you can find great knives! I envy ya:wink:

What I don't know is the difference between the different kinds of knives (kuri-kogatana and others) or if they are strong enough to carve the wood, not only marking it. I am not looking for a marking knife but I don't know which ones are for marking.

I don't know why but so many people seem to be thinking Kiridashi is used for marking (is there a book or something that explains so???), but no, Kiridashi is a utility knife. Only shiragaki (Shirahiki, Shirabiki) is the knife used for marking. If you use Kiridashi for marking, you'll end up cutting the rule.

http://www.geocities.com/soatoz/hamono/Nagahiro_Shirahiki/Nagahiro_Shirahiki.html

Kurikogatana and Kiridashi is for carving and cutting.

===

Anyway, if you are interested in that kind of knives, hmm where should you go...?

Well Heiji will make you a great knife totally to your design. If you are interested in visiting the blacksmith in person, Heiji would be my first recommendation. With your budget, unless you ask for Watetsu for jigane, you can probably buy 2 to 3. Heiji sell his tools directly to the public, so you won't be paying more than the retailed price either.

Cheers~~~

RobTro
5th July 2007, 10:59 PM
Hi Soatoz,

Well my Japanese is not great but not bad. I seem to get by chatting to people. Got a house built so I suppose It should be OK:)

Rob

soatoz
6th July 2007, 07:05 PM
Hi Soatoz,

Well my Japanese is not great but not bad. I seem to get by chatting to people. Got a house built so I suppose It should be OK:)

Rob

Hi Rob,

I just spoke to dad on the phone, but unfortunately there aren't much tool shops in Miki that he can recommend. There are a lot in Tokyo area but there are only wholesalers in Miki.

He said if you are interested he can tell you a very good saw doctor who lives in Miki but that's about it he can come up with.

Sorry I can't be of any help.

RobTro
6th July 2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah, sort of what I guessed as it was pretty hard to find much driving around. Miki is famous for making the tools but it doesn't have much in the way of selling it seems. I was hoping to go a see and chat with the people about what s good at reasonable prices etc. But I can always just use the differnt sites online to purchase from. ANd I can go into nipponbashi to the trade area. That's where I usually go anyway. Just thought I'd check to see about Miki as it is not far from work and has lots of famous smiths.

thanks anyway.

fjuhec, have you checked out the japanese carving chisels and tools. Not just knives but rather chisels. I see a few on the auction sites here. But You may REALLY want a knife so, good luck.

Rob

AlexS
6th July 2007, 07:22 PM
Try Machinko in Kawagoe, north of Japan.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=10028&highlight=kawagoe

They have the greatest range of Japanese blades of all types, the owner is friendly and speaks good English. Aside from this shop, the town is well worth a look around, and if you're lucky, you might even run into Goodwoody there.

fjuhec
7th July 2007, 01:49 AM
Thanks Soatoz, do you mean this Nakaya Heiji ( http://nakayaheiji.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ ) from Mito? If this is the address I think I will go there. The wife of my friend is from Mito and maybe she can help me.

RobTro, I am most interested in a carving knife because I really liked to use a knife for carving but I am open to other tools like chisels which I used in my lessons too. Not a whole set because I think I will not use them all but I am interested in some basic sizes and shapes.

Thanks AlexS, I will try to go to Kawagoe too. Do you know how to write the full address in Japanese?

RobTro
7th July 2007, 02:58 AM
I'm no expert in carving.. Just see a some tools on the auctions here.

I was going to put the address of an auction in Japan here but am unsure of TOS so I won't.

Here is pic of the tools just to give you an idea.
But most auctions here don't ship international but you could get a friend or his wife to bid for you.

Anyway that is as much I know.. i leave it with the others to guide you.

Rob

AlexS
7th July 2007, 10:14 PM
I will try to go to Kawagoe too. Do you know how to write the full address in Japanese?

No, sorry I don't. Get the train north (about 70km from memory), then a bus to the town. The shop's in the main street. I'll try to find a link to the town.

Stu in Tokyo
8th July 2007, 01:59 AM
Well, I want to go there one day, so I did a bit of digging..........

This the place?

From someone's blog......

50164 50165
Details

〒350-0063 川越市幸町7-3 Kawagoe City Minami Machi 7-3
TEL:049-222-1516 Tel 049-222-1516

Google Bilingual Map link to the shop (http://maps.google.co.jp/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%E5%B7%9D%E8%B6%8A%E5%B8%82%E5%B9%B8%E7%94%BA7-3+&ie=UTF8&ll=35.923274,139.482915&spn=0.005552,0.009913&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1) <- I hope that link works...

Hope to go there one day and have a good look around. :2tsup:

goodwoody
8th July 2007, 01:50 PM
Thats the one!!!!!!!!!

AlexS
9th July 2007, 12:00 AM
This will tell you how to get to Kawagoe from Tokyo
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6501.html

fjuhec
13th July 2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks a lot for the info,

I will go to Kawagoe, it is closer to where I will stay than I thought and looks like a nice place.

Stu, let me know which day is better for you to meet if you want to come to a tool shop. I will be in Japan from August 3rd to September 1st but I believe that I will be in Tokyo only the last half of the stay. You can send me a private message or post here in case anyone else wants to meet us.

Thanks

Stu in Tokyo
13th July 2007, 11:42 PM
PM sent! :2tsup:

misterpeter
16th July 2007, 09:20 PM
Hello, I am also new not only to the forum, but also to Australia...if carving knives and tools are your fancy, here is a website for both those and Japanese tools, too. It is in Germany, though! Their service and the variety of woodworking tools is second-to-none anywhere in the world! Fantastic prices, too (NOT cheap, but very reasonable) The website is excellent, and also, of course in English. The address is http://www.dick.biz/

Enjoy!

Peter

Stu in Tokyo
26th August 2007, 02:56 AM
Just to dredge up this old thread, Fujhec and I are meeting up tomorrow, Sunday, and heading to the tool shop, will report back with pics and maybe even video.

Cheers!

Pops
26th August 2007, 10:15 AM
Hi Fujhec and Stu, you know of course that we will be expecting a lot of pictures, I mean a LOT from you both.

Am a bit envious of you blokes actually. So here we wait for all those photos and explanations. Have a great time.

Cheers
Pops

goodwoody
26th August 2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Stu, In the same street at the other end there is a shop that also stocks planes chisels and saws. It has a makita sign out the front so it should be easy to find.
When you visit Machikan speak to the "little general Takeshi'. He is very helpfull and dont be afraid to drop my name as they might give you mates rates if you decide to purchase something.
Kawagoe is a great place to visit and in this area 'the old street' there are plenty of things to see, do and eat. Ever tried sweet potato beer?

Damien.

Stu in Tokyo
27th August 2007, 04:53 AM
Well we had a great time, really great. It was HOT, we were melting walking around for sure. Found Machikan, no problem, and went in, I started chatting with the young guy and I did drop your name, I told him honestly that we had never met, just net friends. The young guy, (grandson?) was telling me how you said to him that you go surfing on Christmas day :U

Francesc bought a nice carving tool, and then we left and walked around a bit, lots to see, temples etc, and shopping too!

We did find the other tool shop, the certainly have a much larger selection of woodworking tools than Machikan, but the old fellow in there was not so talkative.

I have to admit, I did not take one picture, not a single one...............:o

But, I did take a lot of video! :2tsup:

I left them a large Japanese type saw I have that was dull, they said 3000 yen ($30) to sharpen it and it would take a month :rolleyes: Which is fine with me, I don't use it that often and it gives me another excuse to go back.

After a lot of walking around, we went back to Machikan, as I'd forgotten to buy something, my lovely wife is left handed, and she has always wanted a pair of GOOD left handed scissors, but she could never spend the money, too frugal, so I took some money out of my tool budget and bought her a VERY nice pair of left handed scissors for sewing, they are fairly large. Handmade by a smith who is not longer with us, and after this fellow passed the family stopped making left handed handmade scissors. bargain at 30,000 yen ($300) as I know my wife will use them the rest of her life.

Well I'm for bed, I'll get the videos up tomorrow.

PS Francesc and his girl Jessica are absolutely top drawer people, heck they even bought me lunch! :D

Cheers!

NeilS
27th August 2007, 10:29 AM
Hi Stu

I'm also envious of your outing!

I'll get the videos up tomorrow.

Any chance of a photo of those special scissors? I would love to be able to see a picy of them and to share with my wife. We have only recently purchased some handmade Japanese scissors (and some laminated kitchen knives...superb handmade tools) and are interested to learn more. Why should we woodworkers have all the good stuff!

Thanks

Neil

fjuhec
27th August 2007, 11:48 PM
Hi,

We had a great time with Stu. He is really a nice guy. I felt as if I was with a long time friend.
I am sorry I didn't take lots of pictures. I don't like to use my camera inside private properties even if they tell me that I can. I will upload the few I have soon but I am still on vacation so I am very busy all the day going everywhere I can.

Cheers!

Stu in Tokyo
28th August 2007, 02:08 AM
Hi Stu

I'm also envious of your outing!

Any chance of a photo of those special scissors? I would love to be able to see a picy of them and to share with my wife. We have only recently purchased some handmade Japanese scissors (and some laminated kitchen knives...superb handmade tools) and are interested to learn more. Why should we woodworkers have all the good stuff!

Thanks

Neil

Here you go Neil

54119 54120

54121 54122

They are very well made, and after a bit, my wife got on fine with them. She had always used right handed scissors in her left hand, so she had to adjust how she used these, frustrating for a minute, but she soon had it down. They slice through denim from some old jeans like nothing. I'm sure she will get a lot of use out of them.

Cheers!

Stu in Tokyo
28th August 2007, 02:11 AM
Here is the first video I've been able to upload to YouTube......

Machikan Knife Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84YWm0G8KVI)

I've got a couple more, but my POS Windoze machines take forever to do these :upset:

Not long, just over a minute.

Frank&Earnest
28th August 2007, 12:22 PM
Hi Stu. Interesting scissors you have there! I guess the fulcrum is an adjustable screw. Looks similar to that of a pair of garden shears I have, but much more elegant. Any chance of seeing it open?
Thanks
Frank

Stu in Tokyo
28th August 2007, 12:50 PM
Not until they need sharpening :D

They told me at the shop to NOT open them as they are set, much like the torque on a car part, sorry.

...........and, they are my lovely wife's not mine :D

NCArcher
28th August 2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks Stu,
Very impressive demo.
I would love to visit some of those places in Japan. I was there earlier in the year but our itinerary was pretty full. Maybe next time.
I loved Japan and will definatelly be back.

Stu in Tokyo
28th August 2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks Stu,
Very impressive demo.
I would love to visit some of those places in Japan. I was there earlier in the year but our itinerary was pretty full. Maybe next time.
I loved Japan and will definatelly be back.

Well if you do, look me up! :2tsup:

Pops
28th August 2007, 11:58 PM
Hi Stu,

Fantastic scissors there. Reckon they will last a lifetime or two, be handed down the family tree. Thanks for posting.

Cheers
Pops

NeilS
29th August 2007, 12:06 AM
Many thanks for those photos Stu. Yes, you have got your wife a very nice pair of scissors there. I think I can see sen marks on the back of the blade in that last photo, I guess that is for the same purpose as the ura (hollow) on the backs of Japanese chisels.

Neil

fjuhec
11th September 2007, 11:40 PM
Well, I am back from the trip to Japan. I wanted to post the few images I have on August 3rd but our flight was delayed a whole day and I had to go back to work just after arriving to Spain.

As I said, I didn't take many pictures, only 5. Mainly of Katana blades, not tools. I am sorry :C

Hoppoz
31st December 2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the photos and the suggestions for hunting down tools in Japan.

I' going snow boarding at Niesko next week and have two night in Tokyo on the way back, Given the time constraints I won't be able to get to Machikan, next time. I will definitely be going to Tokyu Hands.

Fuhjec, if you are interested in Katanas, I think I have some photos I took at the Sword Museum in Tokyo.

Hoppoz
:2tsup:

hybridfiat
3rd January 2008, 10:13 AM
I too am very interested in Japanese edged tools and nihonto. I have a 17th cen Waki and some suminagashi knives for the kitchen that Im very happy with. The sushii knife was made for me by a smith in Kyoto somewhere. A freind got 2 made specially. Initially it looked as though the smith wouldnt do them as they are time consuming but the smith is a friend of my freinds fiance's father. If you can follow that. So he knocked them up specially within the week. I feel very privilidged but am daunted bt the prospect of having to sharpen them. I have a backgound as a butcher/boner but these knives are on another level.