PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat

bdar
30th June 2007, 12:35 AM
Here is some of the timber I got from Frank aka Rifleman. 1st pictue is 3/4" Osage Orange, 2nd picture is 7/8" Osage Orange, 3rd picture is Sierra size Stabilised Spalted Oak Burl and the 4th picture is larger Stabilised Spalted Oak Burl

lubbing5cherubs
30th June 2007, 12:45 AM
Oh yummy just beautiful. Definitely skite worthy. Especially the one with the dark areas should make one hot pen
Toni

ScrollZilla
30th June 2007, 02:10 AM
Wow, great looking wood! Let me guess what you will be working on over the weekend lol. I have got to get this stabalizing thing figured out. I have so much of that hackberry and cottonwood (actually, almost unlimited supply), but it really should be stabalized.

Cheers,

Rick

PenTurner
30th June 2007, 01:29 PM
If any unstable ones fall off the table :rolleyes: , send them too------:) me. Amos

dai sensei
30th June 2007, 01:37 PM
Nice one Darren.

What are the stabilized ones stabilized with? I have my pressure pot now and was thinking of stabilizing my Scribbly Gum burl blanks. I was going to use casting resin, but I believe there are thinner better products.

bdar
1st July 2007, 12:45 AM
Neil the dried substance is yellow and it smells like a poly uerathane. Because it has been in the stuff and a vacuum has been drawn it is water logged and when dry it is rock hard. Even the borer sawdust. If you used casting resin you would need a consistancy of thin CA, the same if you are using a plexi solution. I am getting a 4 litre jug of stuff tomorrow and will be stabilizing some of my Spalted Mango that I was given. If it works I will contact you.
Darren

Fox3
1st July 2007, 07:27 AM
Yum! Gotta get more blanks :D!

Eeeeek, I think I just discovered that there is no such thing as "enough" :2tsup:!

dai sensei
1st July 2007, 12:03 PM
Neil the dried substance is yellow and it smells like a poly uerathane. Because it has been in the stuff and a vacuum has been drawn it is water logged and when dry it is rock hard. Even the borer sawdust. If you used casting resin you would need a consistancy of thin CA, the same if you are using a plexi solution. I am getting a 4 litre jug of stuff tomorrow and will be stabilizing some of my Spalted Mango that I was given. If it works I will contact you.
Darren

Thanks. I have been heating the resin, but still worry it isn't thin enough, and looking for alternative.

Penpal
1st July 2007, 06:19 PM
You have been having fun,share with you your gloat,wish you well with your chemistry set up. Sharing means looking,worked it out tother day I have enough blanks for a thousand pens or more.Bought some fiery Cocobolo,Figure,quilted Ironwood,blaze Huon Pine,and extraordinary pieces.

Scroll sent me a variety of beaut colours shapes and pure excitement,got twenty specs from Queensland and 60 from a dealer in Griffith NSW,some sticks of pink carob tree from mid west australia and a swag of olive from bethlehem that will need to be gold plated from the blokes claims and price.Bethlehem is in lockdown so it will be tops only when I have received from Israel via a friends daughter who lives there.

I am in the meantime wrestling with those all important pipes in the ground that we depend on for storm water and that other stuff,in lock down till I solve that under concrete of course.

Send me a pm with your home phone number,been trying your mobile without success.Have news for you. Peter:2tsup: :2tsup:

DJ’s Timber
1st July 2007, 09:05 PM
Nice score Darren :2tsup: I am interested to see how your stabizing comes out too