PDA

View Full Version : Good n cheap pen kits, where to get em ?

konstantin
30th June 2007, 08:01 AM
Hello all.
I have some pen kits bought at WoodCraft and maybe I will post some pictures (no puter right now).
I hope to sell my pens once I have made a dozen or so, so far I have made only 3 ( again no pics yet) and it served as a learning experience and to make some gifts.
What I would like to hear from you guys and gals is what is your source of pen kits. Expensive ones, moderate priced and cheap ones.
I am mostly concerned with the cuality and durability of the kits because I dont wish that my pens would fall apart. And most important where/what NOT to buy.
I have seen some batches of pen kits in eBay but havent bought anything there yet.
Eager to hear from you.

Thanks.
Konstantin.

Fox3
30th June 2007, 08:55 AM
My roomie found these folks on ebay, but their regular site is somewhat less expensive:

http://www.woodnwhimsies.com/index.html

Got some of the slimline kits with various finishes and they look good to me.

Hope this helps!

Penpal
30th June 2007, 02:25 PM
I am familiar with those kits at the price buy a bucket full,beware the red,blue,green colours appear sprayed but not under the clips(who cares).The matte gold,Matte silver,matte chrome,gold,chrome etc seem great. If you bought from the manufacturer they would cost you that much made up of kit cost,money transfer,freight betc,go for it,also there are no minimums this way and you have some garantee buying in your own country.

The Red,Blue and green kits are a stunning colour not in your face but delightull.

Konstantin not sure what happens across the border,my only experience in Mexico was in 1974 on May 25th I caught a bus to Tijuana,went to the bullfights and photographed 5 bullfights,more than enough for one lifetime and I joined with the crowd rooting for the bull.What a spectacle,it was so hot the cement seat scorched me through two magazines,I paid for shade side the sun rested on me for the full time and the guy in the ring threw a chopped off ear straight at me.I digress but my suggestion is to stay in touch with Fox as you locate materials and kits.

Regards Peter :2tsup:

Bruce101
30th June 2007, 06:36 PM
Hi Konstantine,
I don't now about cheap, but good quality pens are the Berea which Addictive Pens have here in Ausland. Locally, (ie US) you might like to look at the following link.

http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/

There is a lot of information there as well as prices, and the quality is excellent.

Good luck.

Penpal
30th June 2007, 07:03 PM
I looked for the first time Berea on your link and those prices especially when you buy 100.

Whats that I hear konstantin fainting but if those of you on the forum got together and made purchases between you it could knock spots off your costs.You could extend this to many things with pen making including visits to one another when in the areas.

I agree with Bruce to get a known quality at Berea is very attractive in America,having said that it also applies to Berea in Australia whose agent is Brett alias Froggie at Addictive pens.

When trying to save money remember the cost of time and money to acheive that depends on supply and demand,at the moment the ad on television here of a father and daughter driving distances for cheaper petrol,the calculation the girl does she calls the Annabel principle,take care Peter:2tsup:

lubbing5cherubs
30th June 2007, 07:11 PM
Or another cheap method which is running right at the moment. Get in on a group buy which is a large number or people get in together to buy the price like the 100. There is one going on at the moment at http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25525 I am unsure you may have to sign up with IAP to become involved but it one way of getting cheaper pen kits
Toni

old pen turner
26th August 2008, 08:15 AM
Hello:
I've been purchasing from Penn State Ind.(1-800-577-7297) for quite sometime.
Allways helpful,and pleasant to work with.
Just started getting into rollerball,and fountain pens.Very good quality.
Good to hear from others interested in the same hobby/sideline.
(retired and picking up a little extra spending money.)
P.S.I'm looking for slimline kits in red,blue,and green.
Thanks

gawdelpus
26th August 2008, 03:05 PM
I get a lot of stuff from wood-n-whimsies they stock pennstate at prices better than PSI themselves,they have a good range and different price ranges,amazing how much they can pack into one $12-50 parcel, If you order online email the order as sometimes the checkout postage screws up hehe.usually takes a week to 10 days .woodturningz is also good ,not quite the range but they do have the coloured slimline kits ,also a very helpful crowd to deal with, don't buy from steebar unless you have the patience of Jobe hehe takes months to get stuff and will not communicate at all,but they are cheap hehe.:)

NewLondon88
27th August 2008, 09:10 AM
I buy 10 packs of chrome, gold or black titanium cigar kits for around $3.50 ea from a place in Honolulu and so far, so good.
They even have cigar pencils and some decent pen boxes. Not the biggest selection, but this is my place for cigars.
http://www.woodpenpro.com/

don716
28th August 2008, 12:20 PM
www.craftsupplies.com (http://www.craftsupplies.com) .You can get slimline pen sets for 1.65. They are 24kt gold plated and work great. I don't think you can beat their price.
Donny