PDA

View Full Version : Insulating a Garden Shed

EBS
30th June 2007, 01:31 PM
I have a shed which has a wood frame and hardiplank on the outside. The shed is 2700mm on one side and 2400mm on the other. I want to get power to the shed which will be done by an electrician from the powerbox on side of house and a trench built to run through. I want to insulate the shed so it is waterproof and not hot in summer. At the moment it has a clear roof which makes the shed very hot in summer. Big mistake I thought is might be good for light. What I need to do is line the walls and put in a ceiling which I will hang some lights from. I will get the electrician to rough in the cables first and then line the walls. I am after suggestions of how I should do this. I was thinking of maybe using a foil to make the shed waterproof and use batts for insulation and then put maybe Ply sheets on top. Do I put the foil on first or put the batts then the foil then the ply.

I have attached some pictures below.

RufflyRustic
2nd July 2007, 10:14 AM
Hi EBS,

have a look at The Garden Shed Forum area here, and look for the WIP Shed threads and Insulating Shed threads.

Lots of great info and ideas there for you.

cheers
Wendy

Mcblurter
2nd July 2007, 11:01 AM
I've just been building a shed reusing all roofing from my patio. Some of it is similar to yours. I had some sisalation left over and have used this under the roofing and also on the walls. Is pretty rudimentry as I won't be using any other ceiling or walling material on the inside. Not sure of how well it will work but will cut down some of the heat and as long as the sisalation doesn't get any holes in it and it is layered properly, then should be waterproof.
Cheers
McBlurter

EBS
7th July 2007, 07:43 PM
I have had the electrician rough in the wiring. I am now going to line the walls. The handiplank is already on outside so can't take it off. I was thinking of using insulco breather wall wrap to make the inside waterproof and then want to use the batts to keep cool in summer and warm in winter but not sure how the foil should be put up. The batts could go in the frame but then the water will get to this so do you push the foil in the noggings to touch the outside wall and then put the batts in. I was then going to use 12mm plywood to line the walls. What do you think?

Ozartisan
8th July 2007, 01:20 PM
EBS
I still swear by Aircell insulation. :2tsup:
I used it to line walls & ceiling of 9m x 20m shed - works a treat!
You could put it between the inner lining (ply?) and the studs.
Tough stuff too - it was all that was closing in the ends of the shed for around 6 months or so 'cos I didn't have time to finish the outside cladding! :B
Perhaps not the cheapest insulation around - but no fibres to gather dust, tough waterproof barrier, very effective & easy to install.
PM me if you want to chat about it by phone.
Good luck
Peter
Ozartisan

Tas_Dean
13th July 2007, 04:46 PM
At the moment it has a clear roof which makes the shed very hot in summer. Big mistake I thought is might be good for light. ]

Mum had a problem at her house after she replaced the old "clear" fibreglass roofing with new laserlite over the sunroom. It's great in winter, but far too bright/hot in summer. I got a piece of shadecloth and some shadecloth screw clips, and laid it over the top of the laserlite for summer. Worked a treat. Took the shadecloth off in May, and now she has a bright sunny winter sunroom.

My Grandfather did a variation of this on his home-made skylights. His skylights are clear laserlite, boxed in and then clear perspex at ceiling level. He just unscrewed the perspex, laid some shadecloth in the box, and screwed the perspex back up. Works very well, and he is able to remove the shadecloth in winter allowing full light into the room. The shadecloth lets in a lot of light, but blocks stacks of heat.

Cheers, Dean

johnm64
14th July 2007, 01:28 AM
EBS

I would be waterproofing the outside , if you don't I believe no matter what you do on the inside , in time all your studs etc will suffer from dry rot.I would be look at maybe sheeting
the outside with corrugated iron straight over the hardie-plank,then insulate the inside.
Don't want to be a killjoy but water has a way of getting through and you don't want to end up looking like yahoo serious :no:
Also its amazing what you can seal with the good old trusty silicon.:2tsup:

JMHO
johnm64:)