PDA

View Full Version : Ladies what are you working on for July

flynnsart
1st July 2007, 10:13 AM
So what are your plans for this chilly month?

I am about to go out and start planing the floor joists we brought back from the Gold Coast the other day 190 x 50mm. Somewhere in the month I want to make something besides housebuilding, not sure yet what tho. We actually got some floor joists up and in place the other day what a milestone. Things just seem to take so long to do around here.

Donna

lubbing5cherubs
1st July 2007, 06:51 PM
Hi Donna, I know what I am... packing. Hubby got 4 days of left of work. We then pack everything. Then I have got joys of unpacking again and then I should be able to play again. Feels like it been the longest project in history and I am getting ot the stage where I can't wait til it behind us. I did not realise that 5 kids could have so much gear.
bye Toni

RufflyRustic
2nd July 2007, 09:55 AM
Hi, Now that I've got power to the Shed, I can finally continue settling in, building benches, cabinets/cupboards/shelves. it's been too cold and wet to fix the concrete laundry floor, so that will have to wait until spring :( .

In the meantime, I just need to get one bench built from scratch, one benchtop made and put in place, one corner shelf done and then I can bring in my main workbench and finish it.

I think that might be all of July taken care of :( . can't believe how long it takes to get something done in there. Must be due to having to clamber over all the bits and pieces of 'stuff' on the floor while I build the storage.

Am getting sick of building benches, I can feel a growing need to build a couple of boxes :)

cheers
Wendy

spring
3rd July 2007, 08:09 PM
This chilly month my plans are to cut some more frog puzzles, lacquer the black forest clock, & make a couple of trinket boxes to practice tab and slot joints. That should keep me busy for the rest of the month. :D

flynnsart
3rd July 2007, 09:14 PM
Toni, :o five kids! OMG! Where on earth do you find time to woodwork? When you get to Townsville and settled, I could put you in contact with my dad (who does woodcarving), he has some offcuts of red cedar, mango etc you could have if you are interested.

Wendy, sounds like you need to make the storage FIRST! Otherwise your benchtop could look something like the ones in a certain other thread on this forum!

Spring you sound like you have your month sorted! Your frog puzzles would make nice little gifts.

Me....:yippy: This afternoon finished planing the 16 floor joists, now I hand them over to the hubby to sand them. And tomorow I will start working on the red cedar footstool which I started making for my dad about 6 or 7 years ago, and has been gathering dust. He turns 80 this month so I better get to it.

Donna

s_m
4th July 2007, 10:53 AM
My main project when I can work on it is the same one for the last two months :B. Just updated my WIP thread in the pics forum - I did a dry run clamping up the carcase last nite but ran out of time to glue it.

I have joined the Woodworking Guild of the ACT and very conveniently their shed drop-in days during the week are the same as my 3yo's preschool days :D. Unfortunately the next two weeks are holidays for her so unless I can wangle a couple of hours from hubby to mind her or drop her off with friends I will just have to do things at home.

I've acquired alot of spotted gum framing from my neighbours who are doing renos. I just went and bought a claw hammer yesterday so that I can pull out all the nails - this will be a good job to do at home. Once the planks are all cleaned up I will get them metal-detected at the local timber recycling yard. I think there might be enough there to build my daughter's new bed (which will be bomb-proof!).

It's definitely winter here today - forecast max about 8 degrees with snow down to 1200m for the next three days :oo:.

Steph

lubbing5cherubs
4th July 2007, 12:13 PM
Gidday Donna, you know that saying if you really want to do something you find the time to do it. Woodturning is like that for me. I want to do it so I make time even if at night after everyone gone to bed. The days pretty full on though especially of a morning because you got your normal house upkeep plus I teach all my 5 school. I am presently teaching 2 grade 7, Caitlyn is doing grade 5, Kimberely is doing grade 3 and Andrew is preschool. So yes days are getting very full but not really enought to stop me from doing what I want to do. However when we move to townsville the two older ones may be going to go to normal high school rahter than distant ed. We yet to decide because where we are going now is talking of starting up an agriculture college is which what the girls want to do so time will tell.
bye
Toni

spring
5th July 2007, 10:13 AM
Good idea Donna, I'll have to do something with them, I'll have about 9 when I'm all done :oo:

aljenit
7th July 2007, 07:07 PM
So what are your plans for this chilly month?
Donna:cold: :cold: :sleep6: :depressed:

I have enroled in a French Polishing course at my Local Tafe for 10 weeks Starting 18th July.Thought it might be good to learn something as I don't get out into the shed as much in winter. :C NO POWER :C

flynnsart
8th July 2007, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a good course to do. Be nice to see your work in progress, might pick up some pointers.

Donna

robynmau
8th July 2007, 05:53 PM
Hi all

I'm so glad it's our dry season and I can do things without getting lathered in sweat as this month I get to spend downsizing. We're not ready to head off just yet, but we are loading up the trailer for a trip south next month, so I'm trying to work out the things I will send off to my kids, the things to put aside to sell and the special things to keep for our motorhome. It is absolutely amazing how much 'stuff' you accumulate living in the one place for over 20 years :doh:

At the same time, I'm starting to rationalise what I have in the workshop too, but I'm not in 'give up' mode there yet :B

With such a nice clean workshop I couldn't resist the lathe on Friday and spent a few hours out there instead of clearing up, but keep that a secret, eh:!

Cheers

Robyn

flynnsart
16th July 2007, 06:27 PM
Well today I finally put the finishing touches on the stool I started 6 or 7 years ago. :2tsup: I finished it with 3 coats of tung oil and then wax. The wax brought it up beautifully.

I posted a work in progess in the upholstory forum.

:rolleyes: Now I only have a rocker, a bed, and some doors to finish before I can try something new.

Donna

spring
16th July 2007, 10:30 PM
Beautiful work Donna :2tsup:

vicky_j_f
20th July 2007, 10:18 PM
Hi Everyone.... I'm a newbee,...but I thought I'd drop a note saying Hi.

I'm only just getting back into the workshop this weekend. My daughter is 6 months old, and for some unfathomable reason I just haven't had much time for woodworking recently.

My last big project was to build Alex's cot. I got 80% of it finished in the 6 months prior to her birth and it took me 2 months afterward to finish it off. I'm pretty happy with it... especially since I thicknessed all the Tas Oak myself instead of just buying it dressed.

I'll try to include a picture if I can figure out how.

Now I'm making a building block set. She's heaps to young to play or appreciate a block set yet, but I don't care......I'll play with it for a while first maybe :)

Cheers!
Vic :U

ps. Cant figure it out... just posted it here instead: http://www.flickr.com/photos/10298392@N06/858422152/http://www.flickr.com/photos/10298392@N06/858422152/

flynnsart
21st July 2007, 02:43 PM
That is beautiful Vicky, well done :2tsup: Young Alex will be wanting to play with blocks before you know it, so you betta get cracking. My dad used to make a little push cart that the blocks sat in, provided another aspect to playing with the blocks, and the grandkids all loved to push it around, and had fun putting blocks in and out of it.

Donna