PDA

View Full Version : Pink and Yellow Huon Pine

PenTurner
1st July 2007, 08:06 PM
Made these two sets this weekend, hope you like them, both sanded to 2500, then coloured, then sealed with CA, and about 4 coats in all of CA, then polished off with Diamond Finish Polish, Am:) os

lubbing5cherubs
1st July 2007, 08:21 PM
WOW Amos they are nice. You are getting that dying down pact. Nice but I won't say but you guys will guess which ones are my favourite:D
Top Job
Toni:2tsup:

Barry_White
1st July 2007, 08:21 PM
Hi Amos

They look impressive especially the yellow with the black kits.

Question: What did you colour them with.

schaf
1st July 2007, 09:01 PM
Ok Amos,
What are you doing different.
My first pink Huon done with texta was great but have not been able to repeat the process.
So what is your method so that I can try it.

Regards
Terry

DJ’s Timber
1st July 2007, 09:24 PM
Woah, nice bright colours there Amos.

Com'on spill the beans, how did you colour them?

PenTurner
1st July 2007, 09:46 PM
I have just made this but, not fully happy with colour this time round, green much more difficult than the yellow or pink. I am not particularly fond of the "Australia" clip but thought that it would match the pen!, Amos:)

PenTurner
1st July 2007, 10:23 PM
Ok, here is wha I have been doing, Terry and Bazza, The colour I have been using so far is "Kaiser colour crafters acrylic waterbased non-toxic " paint from the craft section of Bunnings, but I am sure other craft stores would sell it. Mine came in a tube, see photo. But just having the paint will not necessarily guarantee result, the first pens I really struggled and tonight I struggled with the green.
My aim was to get the paint into the wood, so after turning to 1200 to 2500 depending on how well the finish came, on raw wood, I would "seal" the wood with the paint rather than anything else, I have the lathe spinning,(here you will need to experiment with speed) mine is a jet pen lathe and I just leave it at full speed (because it is a pain to change it over to slow speed), I put a blob of paint on a paper towel that I have folded, see photo, Hold it to the wood and aim for a smooth even finish without streaks, then I hold the heater to it for 30 seconds to help dry it; then hold another folded paper towel to it to try and lightly "sand" or smooth it , Then I repeat that process once more. Then comes fun and games, sometimes it is streaky and I dampen a clean cloth with water, and run it lightly to try and smooth the surface, if it corrogated with too much paint,I sand back, sometimes almost to where I have to start again!,:(( If my damp cloth or very light sand works,:) I burnish the paint after helping it dry with a heater, I use a piece of folded paper towel and hold it lightly around the blank and "burnish" the colour until the paint starts to shine somewhat. Then comes CA to seal the paint in, first I use thin CA to get a good seal, then a couple of coats with medium CA, lightly sand it back, then one more coat with thin CA, and polish with PolyGlaze Diamond finsh Polish. and we are almost there; now the next litlle bit is for turners like me that are not perfect,:oo: I found after removing the blanks and putting them together, that if the blank was turned a little out of round(it happens!)so, after assembling the pen, if you look at it with the front or top end towards you, the out of round bit would stick out like a sore thumb; Well, I do this always now, after the blanks come off the Lathe, put a little blob of paint on the towel, and with a twisting motion put each end into the paint, that way the ends are painted also, if a little paint goes into the barrel or on the outside, no worries , just wipe the paint off the CA finish, and make a little triangle and clean the inside of the barrel with a twist and it is ready for assembly. Well there it is, hope that explains, if not just let me know and I will try again. Amos:)

Brown Dog
1st July 2007, 11:03 PM
Nice one Amos :2tsup: ...ya almost need shades :cool: to look at that yellow one.

cheers
BD:2tsup:

Barry_White
1st July 2007, 11:45 PM
Thank you for that Amos. I have a lady who loves yellow. I made a Huon Pine pens for her but wasn't really yellow enough. I haven't given it to her yet so I will have to make another one and experiment.

schaf
2nd July 2007, 07:27 AM
Thanks Amos,you explained yourself very well.
Will give it a go.

Terry

old dog
2nd July 2007, 10:30 AM
Amos!
your pens look great well done mate!:2tsup::D

also U-Beaut has a range of many colors of concentrated non toxic dye's they are sold as a set l got mine from Jim Carroll

PenTurner
5th July 2007, 11:08 PM
Rather than another thread, here are two more, a set of slimline pen/pencil, in Canadian Rock maple, dyed pink. I used a different technique to put on the pink, I sanded as usual, then put paint on paper, stopped the lathe and wiped it on length wise, I moistened the towel a little, whenit was on evenly, dried it, then Buffed it with paper towel very lightly, then 2 coats thin CA, then finish with Diamond Polyglaze. Amos

rodent
9th July 2007, 02:42 PM
:2tsup: Flashy i like it mmm do the paints come in metalics? Silver with a green top coat .the skys just the begining .thanks Amos food for thought.

Allan at Wallan
9th July 2007, 05:12 PM
Hi Amos,
Great work as usual.
I suppose you would have already tried this but I recently
had a pen of Melaleuca and coloured it with "Queen"
brand "Rose Pink" food colouring. Came up alright but
not in the class you have created.
Well done!

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

lubbing5cherubs
9th July 2007, 05:34 PM
Allan did your food colouring bleed?? I tried that too and it kept bleeding through the finish on me. then it faded but this was done in the first month of turning so it may of been lack of knowledge
Toni:)

PenTurner
9th July 2007, 09:58 PM
Haven't tried the food colouring yet but have thought about it. Amos