PDA

View Full Version : A mystery !?!?!?

TTIT
2nd July 2007, 12:21 AM
No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives! So how did I get the colours?:whatonearth:

For those well over 40, Petula Clark holds the key.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd July 2007, 12:37 AM
I've no idea... how did you turn that lovely red wood so brown? :innocent:

BANNED
2nd July 2007, 01:11 AM
Hi TTIT,
"No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives! So how did I get the colours?:whatonearth:

For those well over 40, Petula Clark holds the key."

Yeah...! that I would like to know!
The name Petula Clark, rings the bell...??? something to do with skin products? :question:

Either way, that are the sort of timber texture and colours that I like, nicely shape and finish TTIT.

Cheers
GV

Speanwoody
2nd July 2007, 02:03 AM
sunshine/sunbeam

ticklingmedusa
2nd July 2007, 07:14 AM
You found it in the subwaY? :D

Sebastiaan56
2nd July 2007, 07:14 AM
You mean you took it Downtown, to Colour your World?

Very noice TTIT, I would love to know how you did it,

Sebastiaan

Cliff Rogers
2nd July 2007, 09:36 AM
You did the Ya Ya Twist on The Other Man's Grass? :?

macca2
2nd July 2007, 11:30 AM
Did she colour here world with sunshine every day

Gil Jones
2nd July 2007, 12:05 PM
Beautiful work and wood, Vern!! :2tsup:
I recall her songs, but I do not have a coloring clue.
I reckon you could have used "natural" colors or oxidants.

TTIT
2nd July 2007, 01:28 PM
Did she colour here world with sunshine every dayGood onya' Macca! :2tsup: Pity I don't have a prize for ya!:no: (Sebastion was sorta there!)

I turned the whole thing except the bowl-hollow leaving just enough meat to take another slice off everywhere except the rim-band which I finish sanded. Then left it under the skylight for a couple of months and, being Prickly Acacia, it darkened up nicely for me. Back on the lathe, hollow the bowl, another slice off everything except the rim-band, burn in a border with some laminex to define the colours and a couple of coats of Danish and Bob's yer uncle!
Eventually, the whole thing will change to a dark brown but it will take a while with it oiled and indoors so it doesn't worry me too much!
Dimensions - 230x30mm

If trying this yourself, don't leave it out under direct sunlight to speed things up - DAMHIKT :B

Ruddy
2nd July 2007, 01:35 PM
Very impressive TTIT. Also, loved your website , I found it very imformatitve.
Well done TTIT

Ruddy

ciscokid
2nd July 2007, 10:00 PM
It's beautiful. Well worth the wait in my opinion.

graemet
2nd July 2007, 11:03 PM
Nice effect TTIT, but it would have been quicker and probably more permanent with some of Neil's water stains.
Cheers
Graeme

BANNED
2nd July 2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I agree graemet, but that don't change the fact that it was a quite intriguing concept.

I would go for a water based stain myself, only if absolutely necessary, natural colours are a lot more appealing to me. Nevertheless, I have spoilled a few peaces, made out of unknown timber, and stained only because the finished sanded wood didn't look nice as natural, only to find out that the natural colours only would come out after deep liquid soaking, (any thin clear liquid that penetrate the timber, and after a few generous soaking coats). I have resolved that problem, by brushing generously the peace while turning, with some Methylated Spirits. This method will give you the natural colour of that particular unknown peace of wood, with the advantage to dry quickly and allow you to finish it with any sort of product you can thing of, without problems. :2tsup:

Cheers
GV