PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Find Things On Your Computer?

echnidna
2nd July 2007, 06:52 PM
I've got years of files I've accumulated and I find it hard to find things.

Is there a good filing or indexing system I could use?

ozwinner
2nd July 2007, 07:07 PM
I make different folders for each and every occasion.
That way its easy to track stuff down.

Al :)

echnidna
2nd July 2007, 07:13 PM
Ive done that Al but I think I need folders for folders for folders etc,
E.g my win95 stuff is in 1 folder so is win98 & winme but its a matter of finding things

markharrison
2nd July 2007, 07:36 PM
Have you tried using Google Desktop search or the equivalent from Microsoft? I'm presently using the MS search one but the Google one works quite well. They also index your email.

Grunt
2nd July 2007, 08:59 PM
:whs:

echnidna
2nd July 2007, 09:25 PM
I use the XP search and its good if you recall some of the file name.
But it doesn't sort genre etc

Honorary Bloke
2nd July 2007, 10:03 PM
I've got years of files I've accumulated and I find it hard to find things.

Is there a good filing or indexing system I could use?

Yes, if you had started it years ago. Now, I dunno. :rolleyes: :D :D

Gra
2nd July 2007, 10:13 PM
usually I find them when they fall off and land on the floor

Cliff Rogers
2nd July 2007, 10:15 PM
This is a sample of how I have my 'Wood' folder organised.

Chris Parks
2nd July 2007, 10:36 PM
Name everything so you can recognise what it is in 10 years time. Do you want a filing system that opens the file or a catalogue that tells you where everything is? It is very difficult to go back unless you have many hours to spare, I use powerdesk as a file manager to move things around as it allows you to open multiple windows and drag and drop from one to another. Light years ahead of anything MS have thought up.

manoftalent
2nd July 2007, 11:08 PM
This is going to take some time , but I would go buy an external harddrive ...for starters .......open 26 individual folders and name them after the alphabet ....folder A, folder B ect .....then using windows search, type in a....and windows will search for all files beginning with "a"....sort through them and send them to your external HD corresponding folder ...once this task is complete .....I would delete the files on the pc ......clean it up and defrag it, your system will thankyou for it, and all the files are organised .....you can even back them up onto cd/dvd, and finally ....try and develop a better system for storing stuff .....your pc will last longer .....and you will sleep better at night :2tsup:

echnidna
2nd July 2007, 11:55 PM
Ive been thinking about putting another hard drive in so that might be a good time to reorganise.

Though I basically have it similar to Cliffs but a lot messier
I even got some DOS stuff in there, theres 1 dos program I still use occaisionally and I keep updating it.

But a catalogue type index would be good enough as the same thing might index under several categories

joe greiner
3rd July 2007, 02:06 AM
Similar to Cliff's, but more levels of sub-folders. New sub-folders and sub-sub-folders (sub-sub-sub-...) as needed, and shift around by drag & drop when effective. Sometimes have to rename as titles become cryptic.

Joe

Sprog
3rd July 2007, 01:37 PM
This is what I use
http://www.centurion-cd.com/products3.aspx
along with this software
http://www.digistoresolutions.com/centurycd.htm

Imation make something similar
http://www.imation.com.au/products/disc_stakka/index.htm

rsser
3rd July 2007, 01:50 PM
The problem with a hierarchy of folders is that essentially you have to put a saved file in a place determined by just one descriptor.

Yes, you could save two copies under two descriptors and file storage is cheap enough.

I prefer a very rough folder structure and then rely on Google Desktop for retrievals. I used to use Isys by Odyssey but Desktop will do Outlook emails as well as web browsing history.

It doesn't make up for sloppy housekeeping entirely and it's worth periodically archiving your once riveting saves that no longer offer much current relevance.

Bleedin Thumb
3rd July 2007, 03:14 PM
This is a sample of how I have my 'Wood' folder organised.

WOW thats impressive Cliff! is you work bench as neat?

They way I file is via the delete key. If I haven't visited a file in say 3 years I usually dump... the determining factor mostly is - does it have any legal implication? ...if it does it stays.

echnidna
3rd July 2007, 09:28 PM
What made it akward to some degree is that I learned on DOS where file namne lengths were limited so I carried that habit of truncated file names into windows for a long while. Modern windows is great as you can have a small paragraph as a file name so files are easier to find.

Cliff Rogers
3rd July 2007, 10:28 PM
WOW thats impressive Cliff! is you work bench as neat?.....
The newest one is, a bit... as soon as one get full of junk, I make a new one.... I currently have 8 work benches, 3 desks, 7 filing cabinets, (flat surface on top :wink: ) 3 folding tables, a router table, 2 plaster's stools, 3 upturned buckets, 2 milk crates, 2 large plastic utility crates, 357 cardboard cartons, 8 sets of shelves, 11 palets, 4 cupboards & I still have crap all over the floor.... you just can't have enough flat surfaces to store stuff on. :2tsup: