PDA

View Full Version : Asian style chest.

ozwinner
2nd July 2007, 08:49 PM
Further to a thread I started last week about an Asian style chest.

Here some pics of the before.

The timber is some sort of very light weight pine, and it is almost white in colour, the design on the timber is all done with pokerwork and it was painted with gold paint.

I have stripped 2 panels and most of the legs.

I think I will shellac it when finished.

Al :)

ozwinner
2nd July 2007, 08:56 PM
Here is one of the stripped panels, the timber looks dark because of the pokerwork.

rhancock
2nd July 2007, 09:37 PM
That's beautiful work, isn't it. It'll look fantastic when its done. Will you recolour it with red and (real or fake?) gold?

BTW, where did you get it?

ozwinner
2nd July 2007, 10:20 PM
We got it when we bought a junk shop that has since failed.

I think I will just see how the shellac looks on it, I can always add another finish on top of the shellac latter on.

rhancock
2nd July 2007, 10:23 PM
I think it will look beautiful just varnished, it'll show off the woodworkers skill. And if it's a repro then there's no point worrying too much about being authentic.
I was jealous when you shut the shop that I couldn't come and buy stuff!

joe greiner
3rd July 2007, 12:59 AM
Good job on the stripping, Al. Must have been done delicately, as it looks like you preserved all the detail. Even if it's not an authentic antique, it should look great; and if it is, better yet.

Joe

RufflyRustic
3rd July 2007, 09:22 AM
Al - I reckon it's going to be worth all the pain of stripping. That carving is fantastic!

Cheers
Wendy

Pops
3rd July 2007, 01:21 PM
Hi Al,

Somebody sure spent a lot of time with the poker on that one chest. Will look great when restored. Big job stripping it, top effort. A shellac or clear finish would show it off best I reckon.

Keep us posted.

Cheers
Pops