PDA

View Full Version : A couple of my latest efforts

Wayne Blanch
2nd July 2007, 10:05 PM
Hi all, here are a couple of my latest efforts. I managed to get a fair amount of time in the shed this weekend and these are some of the results.

Photo's 1 & 2, Oak vessel about 100mm H x 160mm wide sanded to 800 grit finished with EEE, 1 coat of shellawax cream and 1 coat of shellawax

Photo 3, Two Needle/toothpick holders from rosewood. finished with EEE and Shellawax.

Photo 4, Pot Pourri bowl from Camphor Laurel 70mm H x 150mm wide finished with EEE and Shellawax Cream.

Photo 5, Lidded container from Camphor Laurel with Kwilla inlay and knob 60mm H x 75mm Wide. finished with EEE and Shellawax.

As you probably have noticed I really like the Ubeaut products.:D

BANNED
2nd July 2007, 10:46 PM
Hi Wayne,
Congratulations on your efforts.
My vote goes to peaces 4 & 5, very elegant No4 and very Mediterranean No5. :clap:

I never tried any of the Ubeaut products, but that is going to change soon. I see that you work well with them!

Cheers
GV

TTIT
3rd July 2007, 12:18 AM
My we 'ave been a busy boy then 'aven't we! :; Excellent stuff Wayne - all of 'em - particularly like the shape of your needle holders.:2tsup:

Kea5
4th July 2007, 09:06 AM
Nice!

Especially like 4 & 5.

I should make the effort to get my hands on some of the Ubeaut stuff. I tried a while back but the place was outta stock...and with my goldfish -like focus, I haven't bothered since.

Looks like good stuff!

Wayne Blanch
4th July 2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys:B .

If you haven't tried the Ubeaut Products you probably should give em a go. I have tried all sorts of stuff and in some cases you may want to use other products but IMHO it is hard to go past these. They are easy to use, give a good result and the application is quick. All in all I love em!:2tsup:

(Was that OKAY Neil?????:D )

Hardenfast
5th July 2007, 09:39 PM
Hi Wayne.

Great works - shows me how much I've still got to learn. I'm really interested in the Oak vessel, in which the centre is much wider than the opening rim. How do you hollow these things out and get that much angle inside the vessel? I'm imagining you would use something like the Rolly Monro articulated rig, which I watched him demonstrating at the Sydney Wood Show recently, but I'm sure there are other methods.

Also, how about sanding inside there? Can't imagine one's fingers being introduced into that whirling guillotine.

I too am a great fan of the Ubeaut stuff, although I've never used anything else so it's probably not a really valid critique at this point.

Regards. Wayne

Wayne Blanch
6th July 2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Wayne.

I'm really interested in the Oak vessel, in which the centre is much wider than the opening rim. How do you hollow these things out and get that much angle inside the vessel? I'm imagining you would use something like the Rolly Monro articulated rig, which I watched him demonstrating at the Sydney Wood Show recently, but I'm sure there are other methods.

Also, how about sanding inside there? Can't imagine one's fingers being introduced into that whirling guillotine.

Regards. Wayne

G'day Wayne,

Yep, you are correct I use a Munro Hollower (not the articulated one though). I was fortunate enough to get it from Ern (Rsser) It is fantastic to use, although I have to admit that I am still getting the hang of it. Makes hollow vessels sooooo much easier to do. (Thanks again Ern)

Regarding the sanding, I normally try to get the finish as good as possible straight off the tool, but when I am doing these sort of things I am even more particular. This one I did very little sanding, but what I did was done with a bit of heavy wire wrapped in duct tape (to stop it scratching the lip of the vessel) with a bit of a rubber thong (Flip Flop, Jandle Depending on where your from) with the sand paper attached to the rubber. This Keeps my fingers well away from the scary bits.:C I have unfortunately done some damage to one of my fingers in the past and I am pretty careful now.:doh:

P.S. With a name like yours you must be a nice fella

Regards
Wayne

OGYT
7th July 2007, 09:06 AM
Well done, Wayne. I like 'em all, but like the needle/toothpick holders best. Do the tops pop? (Wonderin' if a lady could carry them in a purse without 'em spillin'.) (Crossword puzzles call a needle box an "Etui")
Good use of the Ubeaut finishes, also.

Wayne Blanch
7th July 2007, 08:39 PM
Well done, Wayne. I like 'em all, but like the needle/toothpick holders best. Do the tops pop? (Wonderin' if a lady could carry them in a purse without 'em spillin'.) (Crossword puzzles call a needle box an "Etui")
Good use of the Ubeaut finishes, also.
One of them "pops" the other (my first) doesn't have as good a seal but I also made the top section of the base much thinner on that one (less than a mm thick) and managed to crack it a little.:((

All in all I was pleased with them, I used them as an exercise in fine/thin turning and accuracy. It was fun.

Thanks for the nice comments:B

See ya
Wayne

robynmau
8th July 2007, 06:33 PM
You did get some time in the workshop didn't you, and the pieces are really nice. I like the potporrie bowl best :B

cheers

Robyn

cedar n silky
8th July 2007, 07:08 PM
All very nice work Wayne. I like the Camphor peice with the Queela inlay.:2tsup: