PDA

View Full Version : Bangers and Mash

silentC
3rd July 2007, 01:24 PM
A good winter one that is dead easy when it's your turn to cook :~

Peel some spuds, cover with water in a saucepan and bring to boil.
Put the bangers on the BBQ.
Slice an onion into rings and shallow fry in a bit of olive oil.
Chop up a handful of mushrooms and chuck them in with the onion. Add some garlic.
When the mushrooms are cooked, put them and the onion aside.
Add 3 tablespoons of gravox and 3 tablespoons of water to the pan, mix to a thick paste on very low heat. Slowly add a cup of water as you stir.
Chuck the onion and the mushrooms back in.
Add 2 tablespoons of brandy or sherry and some greenery (oregano, basil, whatever).
Put a tin of mushy peas on the stove.
Strain the spuds. Mash them up. Make sure there are no lumps (hate lumpy spuds). You can pass it through a sieve if you like.
Soak 2 or 3 slices of white bread with the crust removed in water. Wring it out and dump it in with the spuds.
Pour in about 1/3 cup of olive oil. A bit of garlic if you like. Grab a big metal spoon and stir the be jesus out of it until it's nice and fluffy.
Put a dollop of mashed spuds on each plate, carefully arrange a couple of bangers so they're half on the spuds, half on the plate. Put a dollop of mushy peas on the plate, then smother the lot in the gravy.
Consume with a nice malty bitter or a glass of Cab Sav.

Rocker
3rd July 2007, 06:14 PM
Silent,

That sounds very good, but too sophisticated for me. Have you thought of hosting a TV program? Silent Bites, perhaps.

Rocker

scooter
3rd July 2007, 08:59 PM
Make sure there are no lumps (hate lumpy spuds). You can pass it through a sieve if you like.

:oo: Sacriledge, silent. I lurve lumpy mash.

The feed sounds good, mate :)

Gingermick
3rd July 2007, 09:59 PM
Try adding half a tin of crushed tomatoes to your gravy.

silentC
4th July 2007, 10:02 AM
too sophisticated for me
Rocker, how can a recipe that recommends tinned peas be considered even a little bit sophisticated?! :o

Try adding half a tin of crushed tomatoes to your gravy
OK, next time I will. :)

Bleedin Thumb
4th July 2007, 10:19 AM
Silent, I'm afraid I've got to say this....

YUK that sounds revolting, It sounds like if you ate that you would produce so much gas you could supply the power needs of a block of flats .... Keep away from naked flames etc:C

Have you read whats in gravox!? and whats with that slice of bread in the potatoes? sounds like what the Irish may have done to stretch the meal out during the potato blight days.

Mate have you spent any time in prison or maybe a funny farm?

I can picture this meal being served up by a big burly brute with a fag hanging out the corner of his snarling mouth, splashing big dollops onto your plate as you shuffle past him.:D

Honorary Bloke
4th July 2007, 10:38 AM
I can picture this meal being served up by a big burly brute with a fag hanging out the corner of his snarling mouth, splashing big dollops onto your plate as you shuffle past him.:D

Ah Bleedin, don't mistake me, but I was tempted to fix this for dinner tonight. Sounds a treat. :) But in fact I had clams and potatoes (baked) and quite good. :)

Bleedin Thumb
4th July 2007, 10:53 AM
:) But in fact I had clams and potatoes (baked) and quite good. :)

Is that what you guys call a clam bake? as in the Elvis Presley movie?

I think you should share the recipe, edumicate us poor Aussies!:)

silentC
4th July 2007, 10:55 AM
Well, there are those who know their bums from their noses, and then there are those who don't like bangers and mash!

silentC
4th July 2007, 10:56 AM
BTW the bread and oil in the potatoes is how you make Skordalia - Greek mashed spuds mate :wink:

Honorary Bloke
4th July 2007, 11:29 AM
Is that what you guys call a clam bake? as in the Elvis Presley movie?

I think you should share the recipe, edumicate us poor Aussies!:)

I would, if I thought you were educable. But actually, no. These clams were already opened, cleaned, and made ready to cook. It was a Tuesday night and we were tired. Something easy-peasy was required.

Now Sunday, I made a real BBQ (pork shoulder) which was to die for. I may share THAT recipe. Began to marinate it Saturday night and then over a slow indirect fire for 6 hours. :wink:

silentC
4th July 2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah I thought we invented the BBQ until SWMBO bought me a BBQ cookbook by some bloke from America-land who dresses up like a chef and wears a beard like Colonel Sanders. You guys go all out. Makes "throw another shrimp on the barbee" look tame.

Cliff Rogers
4th July 2007, 01:39 PM
...Now Sunday, I made a real BBQ (pork shoulder) which was to die for. I may share THAT recipe. Began to marinate it Saturday night and then over a slow indirect fire for 6 hours. :wink:
I'm interested.

New thread please, also explain your 'slow indirect 6 hour fire' BBQ.

We do pork leg & also a baked ham in a Weber Kettle BBQ with heat beads.

Bleedin Thumb
4th July 2007, 03:40 PM
BTW the bread and oil in the potatoes is how you make Skordalia - Greek mashed spuds mate :wink:

If my memory serves me correctly it is also the basic ingredients of gruel:D

silentC
4th July 2007, 03:50 PM
No spuds in gruel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruel) as far as I know. I always thought of it as being like porridge.

The potato may not be a noble vegetable but it is one of my favourites. Carrots are right up there too.

Now come on, don't knock it until you've tried it. If you haven't had bangers and mash over a pint or two of English or Irish bitter, you haven't lived.

Next you'll be bagging the pie with peas!! We used to nip down to Customs House on a Thursday for the traditional 3 Pees: Pie, peas and a Pint. :wink:

Bleedin Thumb
4th July 2007, 04:07 PM
Mate you will never hear me denigrate an ol dog's eye. Must admit I've never warmed to a pie floater though.

silentC
4th July 2007, 04:12 PM
Must admit I've never warmed to a pie floater though
Me neither. That's a South Aussie thing :p

havenoideaatall
14th July 2007, 04:47 PM
Yeah I thought we invented the BBQ until SWMBO bought me a BBQ cookbook by some bloke from America-land who dresses up like a chef and wears a beard like Colonel Sanders. You guys go all out. Makes "throw another shrimp on the barbee" look tame.

I've heard an opiniated South African claim they are the only race to know how to BBQ -or braai.

S

Bleedin Thumb
15th July 2007, 11:11 AM
Hey Briette, throw anuder Boerewors on the braai will ja.