PDA

View Full Version : Problem with WIN2000 upgrade to XP

BobR
3rd July 2007, 03:02 PM
I have finally been forced to move off Win2000. Purchased the upgrade software to take my sustem to XP. In theory :rolleyes: after the upgrade your system should be running under XP with no need to reload applications or data. However, did all the right things and backed everything up. After the upgrade I do not have acces to either the onboard CD drive, nor the external DVD drive. No new drivers are required as, according to a web search, these two devices use the ATAPI driver that is standard with Windows. The My Computer - properties - hardware - drivers shows infamous yellow tag next to the two devices. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The problem is compounded by not being able to install software other than via the internet or a USB stick. Thw system is a Dell.

Big Shed
3rd July 2007, 03:05 PM
I sympathise! Have just put a new 80Gb HDD in my grandson's Acer 270 notebook, and the stupid XP installation won't accept it's own product key:oo: Tried 2 others, no go.

bansheez71
3rd July 2007, 05:09 PM
Try going to Start, right click on My Computer, click on Manage. Now click on Device Manager. Anywhere there is a question mark means you will have to update the drivers for that device.

Ianab
3rd July 2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah... the book says you can upgrade like that... in practice something usually goes wrong, and best case you are still left with the cluttered windows registry and driver settings. :-

I would back up the data, format the thing and intall WinXP as a nice clean install. It will give you a more stable system in the long term.

Cheers

Ian

BobR
3rd July 2007, 08:13 PM
It's fixed!!!!!!!!

Don't ask me why :no:

As part of the system checking I started an application called Registry Mechanic. Now all this programme is supposed to so is check the system registry, flag errors, and then correct them. However, immediately it caused a window to open and start looking for the Roxio install CD as it appeared to indicate a component was missing and was on this CD (don't you love the clear messages given by software).

Problem - I have no useable CD device on the system. I do have three systems in my little dog house that are connected via a wireless network. I loaded the Roxio CD onto one of the other systems and pointed the message box at this folder. Roxio did it's thing and after this I had drivers for the CD and DVD devices. Go figure. I then ran Registry Mechanic OK.

Now, what else is waiting for me to find :o

Thanks for the feedback.

munruben
4th July 2007, 07:24 PM
In System properties go to Hardware/device manager and click to expand DVDs and CD drives. your drives should be listed there. Right click on the drive and select "uninstall"
Do this with both drives. close everything down and reboot the computer. Windows should recognize new hardware and install drivers for the drives.
Have a look in administrators tools/computer management/disc management and see if the drives are showing in there.

Registry mechanic can do more harm than good if you don't know what you are doing can erase essential files from your computer.Make sure you create a restore point in XP before making any changes to your registry.

wheelinround
8th July 2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah... the book says you can upgrade like that... in practice something usually goes wrong, and best case you are still left with the cluttered windows registry and driver settings. :-

I would back up the data, format the thing and intall WinXP as a nice clean install. It will give you a more stable system in the long term.

Cheers

Ian

This fine if you are not using the Upgrade to do a clean install with.

wheelinround
8th July 2007, 02:54 PM
I have finally been forced to move off Win2000. Purchased the upgrade software to take my sustem to XP. In theory :rolleyes: after the upgrade your system should be running under XP with no need to reload applications or data. However, did all the right things and backed everything up. After the upgrade I do not have acces to either the onboard CD drive, nor the external DVD drive. No new drivers are required as, according to a web search, these two devices use the ATAPI driver that is standard with Windows. The My Computer - properties - hardware - drivers shows infamous yellow tag next to the two devices. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The problem is compounded by not being able to install software other than via the internet or a USB stick. Thw system is a Dell.

My first question is
Is it XP ver 1 or XPS2

Are the both still regerstered in the BIOS

If you put in CD will it recognize it

wheelinround
8th July 2007, 02:59 PM
I sympathise! Have just put a new 80Gb HDD in my grandson's Acer 270 notebook, and the stupid XP installation won't accept it's own product key:oo: Tried 2 others, no go.

Is it XP 1 or service pack 2 CD

If like my ACER it comes with a setup CD system on the BIOS it may need to be rest on the under side of the laptop is the Install Number/product key

Big Shed
8th July 2007, 03:58 PM
Is it XP 1 or service pack 2 CD

If like my ACER it comes with a setup CD system on the BIOS it may need to be rest on the under side of the laptop is the Install Number/product key

Finally got to the bottom of this weirdo problem, it appears to be a corrupted CD. I made a copy of the original and using this had this problem. Finally used the original CD, bingo no more problems. Made another copy of the original, used and that works OK as well.

Have never come across a copy that appears to install OK, no dummy spits, but won't accept the final Product Key. Oh well, live and learn, another CO frisbee added to the pile:rolleyes:

BobR
8th July 2007, 04:42 PM
Still travelling OK. Looks like everything back to normal again. Once again, thanks to everyone for their input.

Ianab
8th July 2007, 07:28 PM
This fine if you are not using the Upgrade to do a clean install with.

You can do a clean install from an Upgrade CD, it will just ask for your Win98 /ME/ 2000 CD during the install. Once you can show it you have a valid 'upgradable' windows disk it will install fine.

Cheers

Ian

wheelinround
9th July 2007, 09:30 AM
Finally got to the bottom of this weirdo problem, it appears to be a corrupted CD. I made a copy of the original and using this had this problem. Finally used the original CD, bingo no more problems. Made another copy of the original, used and that works OK as well.

Have never come across a copy that appears to install OK, no dummy spits, but won't accept the final Product Key. Oh well, live and learn, another CO frisbee added to the pile:rolleyes:

This due to the way Microsoft has put incryption into stop people copying making a back up works though

wheelinround
9th July 2007, 09:35 AM
You can do a clean install from an Upgrade CD, it will just ask for your Win98 /ME/ 2000 CD during the install. Once you can show it you have a valid 'upgradable' windows disk it will install fine.

Cheers

Ian

True forgot about that but then again how any people have original Win98/Me/2000 disks.
Oh I dont need that anymore here you can have it:doh:.........I have a collection of them from upgrades I have done.

Big Shed
9th July 2007, 02:48 PM
This due to the way Microsoft has put incryption into stop people copying making a back up works though

Made another copy of the original disk and that works.

munruben
9th July 2007, 07:32 PM
Made another copy of the original disk and that works.
Yes, it should work. I always back up my OS to disc and reinstall from those when I need to. Never had a problem. Guess you willl always get the odd corrupt disc.