PDA

View Full Version : need ideas: kitchen trolley

cx3
24th August 2003, 11:32 PM
Hi,

i am planning to build a kitchen trolley (dun know if that the exact name for it). it is those kind with a table top for you to do chopping and kneading kind of stuff... with wheels below so that you can push it to whichever place you want.

i have seen one with a large sturdy wooden top, a few drawers and with wheel on each of the two legs on one side and other side without wheels. (you knoe, like you when you lift up the side without wheel the table became mobile.

what fascinate me is that the table top were laid with tiles. so look like tiles with a wooden border.

Anyone know of any designs to suggest
and how to fix those tiles on the wood securely?:confused:

sandman
25th August 2003, 11:32 AM
Tiles and food? My folks have tiled bench tops and they are a pain in the ass! The problem is the grout, not the tiles.
Especially foodstuffs like flour etc, it sticks to the grouted surface like the proverbial!
I made a beautiful solid timber kitchen trolley for my elder sister a few years ago. She uses it every single day, rubs a bit of vegetable oil into it every now & then and it has a removable cutting block for transfer of cut food to where-ever and for washing. Personally I'd tend to stay clear of tiles.
There's nothing like the beauty of a "chequerboard" cutting block to enhance the kitchen.;)

Sir Stinkalot
25th August 2003, 11:45 AM
I am concerned how the knives will go on the tiles ..... we had a glass chopping board for a while but it was hell on the blade of the knife and required frequent sharpening ..... I would go for timber.

cx3
26th August 2003, 12:58 AM
hey, you are right man..

one of the concern i have also the grout that could probably become a nesting home for all kind of bacteria or germ sort of that.

i was jus pretty amazed how the tile was secure to the wood. You know how they did it?

a checkerboard top would be a great idea. :D

Does anyone has a building plan??

C :p