PDA

View Full Version : Floor Model Drill Press

mat
25th August 2003, 03:04 PM
I am currently looking to buy a floor drill press. Although they are fairly basic pieces of machinery is there anything I should be particularly looking out for. Are there any lemons out there?

Chippy Chappy
26th August 2003, 12:51 PM
Mat,

I guess it's the old adage you get what you pay for.
I am currently using a Sherwood 12 speed floor mounted drill press and for what I am using it for it is more than adequate.
The safety features are good and to change speeds it is a breeze
I am a Shipwright by trade and this type of machine is more than adequate for home use. If however I was going to do heavy engineering processes I would go for it's bigger brother as it is to light for that purpose.
I purchased mine from Timbecon here in WA. www.Timbecon.com.au Price was approx $249 on special.
Hope this helps

Steve:cool:

Ruffy
11th September 2003, 07:03 PM
Hi Mat,

I am going through the same exercise myself - looking for a floor stand drill press.

As an enthuisastic woodie in no way looking at anything more than doing it for pleasure. I have been given the same advice by both Fishers and Carba-tec staff and that is to look at the Radial Arm Drill Press.

The Carba-tech one recommended was for $399 (RDP-116). Fishers nearest in price was way down on features ec. The other one I am considering is from Timbecon at $379 (ZQJ-3116-A) at it has 550W motor compared to the Carba-tecs at 370W. Both are 5 speed.

Anybody else care to add their comments....

Ruffy

Dean
11th September 2003, 07:29 PM
If your getting a radial arm and set on that fact, then get the one that has the biggest motor. 1/2HP is just not enough to run the larger bits and to get them to cut well. It will bog down.

The only real advantage of a radial arm is that it can drill holes further from the edge of a board. Anything else can be done with your standard drill press really. While this extra drilling feature is nice, I have found that my standard floor model drill press is rarely challenged with such a task, and when it is, then my corded and cordless drill easily tackle it without any hassles.

Also, 5 speeds is not enough in my opinion, especially if you are going to use a wide variety of bits. You really need 12 or 16 speeds on a floor model drill press to make the most of it.

I'd recommend a 1HP drill press with a wide variety of speeds.
But that is just my opinion of course :)

mat
12th September 2003, 09:11 AM
Ruffy
I ended up buying a Hare and Forbes Metalmaster SPD25A from M&G Industrial Supplies in Fyshwick at $390 It is not a radial type but has a 1HP motor and 16 speed.
If you are looking in the Canberra area the other place to look is Fitch Sharpening in Fyshwick. They are distributors for Ledacraft.

Ruffy
12th September 2003, 06:24 PM
Thanks to all for the advice.

Mat. I will check out the places that you mention as well