PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers With Disabilities

echnidna
4th July 2007, 05:02 PM
Wonder if a thread for the woodies who have special challenges would be helpful.

Comments --- :)

savage
5th July 2007, 03:43 PM
Wonder if a thread for the woodies who have special challenges would be helpful.

I think that would be a good idea, you do not have to be in a wheelchair or blind to be disabled (no offence to those who may be in these situations as I was just showing an example) but I am sure that there are a lot of members who have back injuries, restricted use of limbs due to injuries of age. I know there are a lot of really clever/smart people on this forum who might be able to help them over come some of the problems we might come across in our daily woodworking tasks to make it easier and a bit more pleasurable. I think an improvement in this area will help others improve there craftsmanship and turn out a better piece of work, so come on anyone with ideas or problems get it on here where we may be able to help.

Good on ya!..Echnidna.:2tsup:

Iain
5th July 2007, 04:22 PM
Does this include my dyslexia with measuring devices:-

echnidna
5th July 2007, 06:27 PM
Iain, do you get the right change when you go shopping? :rolleyes:

A disability is a limitation regardless of the type of disability.

Iain
5th July 2007, 07:36 PM
Bob, I now work with people with disabilities 5 days a week, most can laugh at their disability and I think that this is a positive step for them.
I never pander to them but crack a joke at their expense, and believe me, I cop my fair share back.
I admire their ability to cope but I despise the community attitude to their 'inability' rather than disability.
One girl with cerebal palsy gives me heaps, despise her inability to speak properly we have established a great rapport, and she has a wicked sense of humour.
I call her 'old darling' and she loves it as it is a sense of identity unique to her, the others have their names too, humour with these 'almost normal' people is probably better than ours.
Don't take offence please, this is not a criticism, but there are personalities at stake.

As an afterthought, I have invited some of the directors to come and see the drop bears, they thought it would be nice for their families to see.......

echnidna
5th July 2007, 08:16 PM
I know exactly where you're coming from Iain.

The ones with the real disabilities are the staff

Iain
5th July 2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks Bob, Luv ya, in a manly sort of a way:D
These people are no different to you and I....................inside, just the outer layer is a bit different.
I won't get started any further as I really have a connection here, and I know that you do understand.
Now as for Scouts and the bleeding politics:(( :(( :(( working with children card indeed, what does it prove, I am not a paedophile or I haven't been caught??????
I might add, I am not, just love to nurture the needs of kids with a slightly different approach, such as what make things go bang, and the chemistry and danger of such experiments, which they can all find on the internet, I just try to do it in a more responsible manner:)
And all the other aspects of course

echnidna
5th July 2007, 09:28 PM
"Now as for Scouts and the bleeding politics - working with children card"

Yeah I know about codswallop too, I hadda get children card and I don't even work with the kids, I just handle campground & maintainence etc.

But the special people you're working with are very enjoyable.
Have a ball Iain, & I hope not much codswallop come's yer way

Iain
6th July 2007, 10:01 AM
Back on track, some people have asked the question in relation to using a type of tool with a disability, modifications etc.
At the moment I am unable to kneel to get anything off the floor and would welcome any ideas, just as I and others offered some solutions to scroll sawing fairly recently.
Do we go for a dedicated forum or keep it in the mainstream by posing a particular question in that particular forum, eg: using a table saw with one arm, hand tools and machinery.

echnidna
6th July 2007, 12:43 PM
What about protective knee pads from a hardware store.?
Or the protectors used by skateboard riders?

munruben
6th July 2007, 12:50 PM

I think its a good idea but there doesn't seem to be much response in the forum to the suggestion.

Groggy
6th July 2007, 01:36 PM
I think the idea is a good one and I'll bring it to Neil's attention. Before I do though, what name would be best

"Special Needs Forum"
"Woodworkers with Disabilities"

Would something else be more appropriate?

Iain
6th July 2007, 03:39 PM
In these wonderful days of PC I think 'special needs' is less stigmatising that 'disabilities'.
Of course it can include temporary problems too, such as a broken arm or whatever (or mangled knee:( ).

savage
6th July 2007, 05:02 PM
At the moment I am unable to kneel to get anything off the floor and would welcome any ideas.

G'Day Iain,
As far as dropping things on the floor I use one of those little plunger type reaching tools that you get for a few $'s at Super Cheap, you know the sort, you hold it like a syringe and when you push the plunger with your thumb a set of wire fingers pop out the other end.

Or if I knock over a box of nails/screws a magnetic type is handy also good for drills and the like, I have a back injury and sometimes it is a real effort to just get the roller door up.

As for other things, I haven't figured that out yet so I have to bend at the knees and take it carefully.:C

macca2
6th July 2007, 08:14 PM
I too have a claw like pick up, worked from a trigger on the handle.
However the most useful tool I have for picking up screws, nails, small to medium tools etc is the magnet out of an old harddrive screwed to a 200mm piece of dowel.
macca

savage
6th July 2007, 08:34 PM
I guess it's like when you need something to hold a piece of wood a certain way, you make a jig for the job, so if we hear of a members problem maybe we can devise a way around it and make life a bit easier for them.

I also agree, it should be a separate forum, so that it can be a quick way to (hopefully) solve a few problems, instead of having to search through heaps of other threads.

watson
6th July 2007, 08:54 PM
G'day All,
I've kept quiet in this area, but I now realise we have so much to offer in this area.
Tell you a story.
I've a mate..stroke victim...70+ years of age.......lost the use of his left arm......and has a shonky left leg.
With one handed jigs....feather boards......cam clamps.....he can work wood.
He can make mitred boxes...he sells spud boxes, and little wheel barrows.
He can use a small ROS one handed with adapted hold-downs.
He can weld with an automatic mask.
He has made the several items since his stroke:
including a one handed gold panning machine,
a rill for gold seeking,
several small keepsake boxes,
lots of spud and onion boxes,
and miniature models of trucks/saw mills/timber jinkers, and lots more.
I have never given him a hand on any project, apart from looking at his machines, and making one handed jigs for his machines.
He can even make hinged boxes.......(I'm still really rough at this).
My point is, that if he can do it........having just got into woodwork after his stroke)....then with help in the area of advice and jigs, then any person with special needs can achieve all these things.
Maybe we ought to facilitate this.

Good thought Bob.

savage
6th July 2007, 09:13 PM
G'Day Noel,
Not being a smart @rse, but may be your mate could give you some ideas for woodies in similar situations via yourself!.....:2tsup:

watson
6th July 2007, 09:23 PM
G'day Eric,
Yeah, he's got a good mind........he's only ever suggested one jig though.
It was a device that would let him plug in an extension cord, and when he was finished. to remove the lead from the extension cord.
He even makes wedges to put under his beer glass so it doesn't froth over when he pours a can....Important stuff!

echnidna
6th July 2007, 10:16 PM
I think the idea is a good one and I'll bring it to Neil's attention. Before I do though, what name would be best

"Special Needs Forum"

Bearing in mind that we are an international forum its probably best to use the most descriptive name possible.
Different terminologies are used in different countries.
The Yanks use the term "handicapped" .
Oz used to use that but the term People With Disabilities evolved
(although the term disabled people is a big no-no.

I tend to feel the term Woodworkers with Disabilities is possibly likely to be more readily understood worldwide than Special Needs Forum.

Iain
6th July 2007, 10:31 PM
He even makes wedges to put under his beer glass so it doesn't froth over when he pours a can....Important stuff!

The next logical step would have to be a counterweight so it levels out as the glass fills, a lot could use this after their 5th pot onwards:2tsup:

watson
6th July 2007, 10:44 PM
The next logical step would have to be a counterweight so it levels out as the glass fills, a lot could use this after their 5th pot onwards:2tsup:

Sturdee could work that one out I bet!
:D

echnidna
6th July 2007, 10:46 PM
naa, just use a length of 10mm clear plastic tube..... as a straw

watson
6th July 2007, 10:57 PM
Thats a big "Tee Hee" from me.........
I hope this one comes off, as it would keep the "grey matter" of the jig builders really working. Its taught me to do a lot one handed whilst testing jigs.
I'll never let my mate see this as he'd want a counter balanced beer pourer.

Tonyz
6th July 2007, 11:11 PM
I think there are excellent thoughts here, I hope this can really go somewhere,
I dont think we should defer to the Yanks and use suitable names that they might understand, this forum is/was set up for Australians I beleive so lets keep our aussie high standards (eh, our wot?)

My son is disabled and Iam challenged.... at getting answers for him from big Gov brown nose'rs.

wheelinround
6th July 2007, 11:20 PM
:doh::doh::doh:

:C:CThats right stick us in another hole no problem we can get out again best escape artist in the world disabled people they have to be, we get told NO you have to be attended to over their so often.

If it wasn't for disabled you'd have no-one to look up to and admire LOL

You know why the disabled have their own Olympics Its because they beat normal's records.

wheelinround
6th July 2007, 11:29 PM
At the moment I am unable to kneel to get anything off the floor and would welcome any ideas, just as I and others offered some solutions to scroll sawing fairly recently.

:doh::doh::doh:
You could do what I do when I get a doze of the droppzy curse swear and watch how fast the wife comes running to see whats wrong...............Oh while your here can U pick that up please...........n a cuppa'd be nice too.........an some of that cake you made.:U:U
Never fails

Tonyz
6th July 2007, 11:38 PM
OK fair point wheelinround, But, does this appeal to you or are we barking up the wrong tree. Dont blame us though we just learn to do what the pollies are always doing. Blowing their fat a**e trumpets and acheiving nought.

Iain
7th July 2007, 09:37 AM
watch how fast the wife comes running to see whats wrong...............Oh while your here can U pick that up please...........n a cuppa'd be nice too.........an some of that cake you made.:U:U
Never fails

Try that later today:D :D :D :D

Blowing their fat a**e trumpets and acheiving nought.

Not quite true, it calls for more meeting thus creating more jobs as they are now understaffed because of meetings being attended, better have a meeting about this too.
Government Portals are the answer, always referred to inreports but never figured out what they are:?
There is an excellent book on this subject called 'Death Sentence', referring to the demise and death of a comprehensible English language.

wheelinround
7th July 2007, 11:18 AM
OK fair point wheelinround, But, does this appeal to you or are we barking up the wrong tree. Dont blame us though we just learn to do what the pollies are always doing. Blowing their fat a**e trumpets and acheiving nought.

:2tsup:Thanks for taking my point

The forum already has a Health area although this doesn't discuss the matter of how to get around difficulties. I feel that (others may feel different)
Posting a question in normal areas is just as easy as those who have no physical or other medical problem that post asking "How Do I" and as I have seen their are enough people on the forum who jump in to lend a hand with able and disbaled persons.
Safety is always an issue but new and innovative ideas like using a hand planner on your lathe is either an attempt to join the ranks of disabled or pure guts n brilliance. http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=52154

Would Douglas Badder have been allowed to fly now????

One day we'll see wheelchair international pilots maybe, but only if we are allowed and political correctness is corrected.
I reffer anyone that has the time to read or glance at the info from HREOC ACT
This is a shock to anyone with a pre-exsisting condition from wearing glasses, having asthma to seriouse health problems. http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disability_rights/standards/Insurance/insurance_adv.html

It greatly effects the return to work that is happening world wide. Governments are pushing world wide not just Australia yet its the insurance companies and unions and Workcover OH&S policies that are preventing it for any reason they can think of.
http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disability_rights/employment_inquiry/index.htm

We all have discrimination from th type of coffee we drink to the beer we swill.

Now I'll get off my soap box so the Domain is free to be enjoyed by all.

macca2
7th July 2007, 11:19 AM
As a person with a "disability" I am not fussed what terminology is used.

I have asked for and received heaps of help, hints and ideas from the members of this forum on a number of subjects including vehicle types, vehicle access, garage modifications, wood turning while sitting and numerous others.

I agree with a separate section if for no other reason than to keep it all together and easy to access in the future.

I have received far more and far better advice from places like this forum and other similar people than you can ever get from a Gov department.

Thanks and keep it all going. What a great community.

Macca

Groggy
7th July 2007, 11:33 AM
Wheelin',

I thought Bob's idea was a good one, and I still do. We create forums for all sorts of groups for two main reasons:

1. for convenience for regulars so they can fairly quickly find items that interest them, whether it be a Festool, hand tool or pens, and

2. it is a great help to new members to get an idea of what is in the forums just by browsing the forums list.

A third benefit is you can quickly drop into a main group and see what's new, if anything, that may be of interest. I don't think the creation of the forum would make any special statements about the topic at hand, other than it has sufficient interest to group like posts. The Woodworking Women's forum is probably a good example.

Groggy

wheelinround
7th July 2007, 06:30 PM
Wheelin',

I thought Bob's idea was a good one, and I still do. We create forums for all sorts of groups for two main reasons:

1. for convenience for regulars so they can fairly quickly find items that interest them, whether it be a Festool, hand tool or pens, and

2. it is a great help to new members to get an idea of what is in the forums just by browsing the forums list.

A third benefit is you can quickly drop into a main group and see what's new, if anything, that may be of interest. I don't think the creation of the forum would make any special statements about the topic at hand, other than it has sufficient interest to group like posts. The Woodworking Women's forum is probably a good example.

Groggy

As I said thats my opinion.
I feel the more disabled situations are hidden away the rest of the world cant see the problems we face so they become blind to LIFE in ALL its reallity.

After years of fighting quietly to be recognised for who and what I am and for what I could do not what I couldn't do.
Sorry I get a little hum...........................testie regarding being told you must assimilate/join in be one of the group only to be told by the same idiots your different we dont want to know you when it suits them. ie - Politicians, do gooders.

Many items that have been invented to help disabled person of the years are now everyday items in your daily lives.

Look around you, bet you can't come up with 10 items.:;

I admire all those who work with disabled people with genuine hearts....its the money grubbers who P&^% me off.

I have been disabled all my life by people who regard themselves as superior yet these same people cant get off their BUTTS to save themselves.

Who's more disabled ?
1 A drug taker who cant get by without a fix even if its recreational ?
2 A person who cant stop smoking ?
3 A wood turner ??

A= they are all the same

Groggy
7th July 2007, 06:42 PM
Well, the forum has now been created and this is the first thread in it. I hope that anyone who has a requirement for a different approach for woodworking can find their answers here. Whatever the issue may be, if it requires a different technique or approach, hopefully they'll be able to find an answer here.

Tonyz
7th July 2007, 07:09 PM
Not having looked around the 'net' much, would this forum be one of the biggest as in subject matter available.I know there are others esp. overseas but they tend to be centered on one area or centered on their own egos.
Just curious?

Groggy
7th July 2007, 07:13 PM
Not having looked around the 'net' much, would this forum be one of the biggest as in subject matter available.I know there are others esp. overseas but they tend to be centered on one area or centered on their own egos.
Just curious?This is definitely one of the biggest (most frequented) and, I think, one of the broadest in coverage.

Iain
7th July 2007, 09:24 PM
Who's more disabled ?
1 A drug taker who cant get by without a fix even if its recreational ?
2 A person who cant stop smoking ?
3 A wood turner ??

3,which excludes me as I only own a lathe.
Define a disability, 1 & 2 are addictions not disabilities, list my disabilities, can't work with camphor laurel, does that count?
Bloody narrow minded approach:((
And I work with disabled people because I can help, I get paid because I need to live, lets be realistic.
That is an extremely narrow minded approach.
Red deflector on but I really don't give a Cliff Rogers Siberian Hamsters Sphincter:(

wheelinround
8th July 2007, 10:45 AM
3,which excludes me as I only own a lathe.
Define a disability, 1 & 2 are addictions not disabilities, list my disabilities, can't work with camphor laurel, does that count?
Bloody narrow minded approach
And I work with disabled people because I can help, I get paid because I need to live, lets be realistic.
That is an extremely narrow minded approach.
Red deflector on but I really don't give a Cliff Rogers Siberian Hamsters Sphincter

Thats right define disability:2tsup::2tsup: now you have it.
dis·a·bil·i·ty play_dis·a·bil·i·ties 1. a. The condition of being disabled; incapacity. Does this mean those who are generaly regarded as healthy ....can't turn wood disabled, or ride a push bike, play tennis, footy or even chess. It is their incapacity not to be able to do these things makes all of us disabled.
YES!!!this includes your disability not to be able to use Camphor for what ever reason

b. The period of such a condition: Anyone with any medical condition is disabled

2. A disadvantage or deficiency, especially a physical or mental impairment that interferes with or prevents normal achievement in a particular area. Does this include closed midned individuals who cant accept perfect people or those who cant admit they have a disability. Being affraid of something is a disability!!!!!!

3. Something that hinders or incapacitates. This says it all and proves my point we all have something that hinders our lives and therefore incapacitates our ABILITY to do something.

Wearing glasses IS a disablility, Arthritis, Asthma.
Is the disability the problem where the drug taker cant say NO before starting
They only become addicts after constant use they are not additicts before hand becoming an addict makes them disabled.
The same goes for 2 & 3
All of these can kill but we are all born to die its one of lifes truths "Live for tomorrow die for today"

:2tsup:I agree with Groggy & Tonto of all the forums I have used in many years (15+) it has to be the most comprehensive regarding coverage of topics and I praise the owner of the forum for his efforts including this new forum for with it we may see that disabled have a voice somewhere else and can once again prove they are as good if not better at setting goals and achievments.

As for calling me narrow minded .........I say thank you it shows I have one use it daily:U

echnidna
8th July 2007, 11:39 AM
:2tsup:I agree with Groggy & Tonto of all the forums I have used in many years (15+) it has to be the most comprehensive regarding coverage of topics and I praise the owner of the forum for his efforts including this new forum for with it we may see that disabled have a voice somewhere else and can once again prove they are as good if not better at setting goals and achievments.

As for calling me narrow minded .........I say thank you it shows I have one use it daily:U

:2tsup: :2tsup:

crocky
19th July 2007, 10:46 AM

Well I have now started using it and I put a couple of topics on so far and it is good that we have a place to go that is specifically for disabled people :wink: and woodwork :)

Bob

Zedster
21st August 2007, 08:02 AM
Well I can only speak for myself, lost my lower right leg and totally paralysed my right arm in a road traffic accident back in 1978 when I was 19, started woodturning about 18 months ago, can I woodturn with only the use of my left hand, you bet your ass I can, can I rebuild a car, you better believe it.

Disability, what disability, only ever use that tag when I want to draw attention to myself and my abilities to give encouragement to so called able bodied people to try and achieve my standards.

Am I big headed, no definately not, just proud of my grit and determination, and of the results of my efforts.

Call em what you like, we are the same as you, maybe a bit or 2 missing, but who cares.

:U

dennford
21st August 2007, 09:42 AM
Well I can only speak for myself, lost my lower right leg and totally paralysed my right arm in a road traffic accident back in 1978 when I was 19, started woodturning about 18 months ago, can I woodturn with only the use of my left hand, you bet your ass I can, can I rebuild a car, you better believe it.

Disability, what disability, only ever use that tag when I want to draw attention to myself and my abilities to give encouragement to so called able bodied people to try and achieve my standards.

Am I big headed, no definately not, just proud of my grit and determination, and of the results of my efforts.

Call em what you like, we are the same as you, maybe a bit or 2 missing, but who cares.

Dead right, it's a case of getting more use out of what you have left (or right!)

wheelinround
21st August 2007, 09:54 AM

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

And with a wee drop a Dram and pure Scottish heritage I wouldn't expect anything else

jemmy
5th November 2007, 01:35 AM
Thats a big "Tee Hee" from me.........
I hope this one comes off, as it would keep the "grey matter" of the jig builders really working. Its taught me to do a lot one handed whilst testing jigs.
I'll never let my mate see this as he'd want a counter balanced beer pourer.
hi there, how are you, i myself have only the use of my rite arm and always looking for jig`s to help me. so if you have any i would appreciate it:clap: if you would pass them on to me. many thanks, Jemmy.:ireland3:

wheelinround
5th November 2007, 07:19 AM
hi there, how are you, i myself have only the use of my rite arm and always looking for jig`s to help me. so if you have any i would appreciate it:clap: if you would pass them on to me. many thanks, Jemmy.:ireland3:

Hi Jemmy

Do a search for Niki a member from Poland who makes some fantastic stuff with full instructions and photos.

My problem is strength in the hands and legs neruo-muscular problem well after 40+ years they still don't know exactly what the problem is.

pawnhead
5th November 2007, 08:43 AM
Just curious?If you're talking about forums in general, then WWF is a long way from the top. It's not rated on Big Boards (http://rankings.big-boards.com/?p=all) yet but it would rate a mention near the bottom since there's over 500,000 posts, so I've just submitted the URL. The top board has over a billion posts and almost ten million members.
According to their figures, we'd come in at number 1,929 from the top. We'd probably be lower than that though, since Sawmill Creek (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/) isn't mentioned either, and they have 681,146 posts compared to WWFs 587,880 posts. They aren't as diverse since they don't have 'home renovations', musical instruments', ' wooden boats', but there are forums that specialize in those topics. WWF is the most popular home renovations forum in Australia AFAIK. It would be amongst the most popular woodwork forums in the world I'd imagine.
As far as diversity, it doesn't take much to open a whole lot of sub-forums, and a good deal of the sub forums here only have around 20 or less posts in them.
I'm a member of an Australian computer forum called OCAU, and they are very diverse. Whilst they don't have quite as many sub-forums, there's nothing with under a hundred posts so they just haven't split up their categories as much. Their most popular sub-forum is general discussion, followed closely by current events, where you can debate what's going on in Australia & the world, and have heated political debates if you want (they're not as restrictive with their censorship, and the 'F' word is OK. I reckon it should be because you hear it on the radio all the time), there's a science forum, sport & fitness, TV & DVD, food, music, photography, general discussion, phones, pets, toys, a very active motoring forum, lifestyle (where there's many posts about home renos), careers, gaming consoles, buy & sell, and absolutely everything you could possibly think of that has anything at all to do with computing, split into a large number of sub-forums. The demographic is a lot younger than here, but there are a lot of older posters as well
They are about the biggest forums in Australia of any description with 5,993,026 posts, and when they open up to the public shortly, they will probably overtake Whirlpool forums, becoming the biggest. .

But WWF are the best forums on the web, but then I'm a bit biased, since I'm an older carpenter/builder. :wink:

Wild Dingo
9th November 2007, 01:52 AM
Sooooo?? have we resolved the issues yet? :q

Im disabled... and hell Im bloody proud of it!!... nah I look "normal" sound "normal" and for all appearances am "normal" but Im not!! DAMNIT IM NOT FRIGGIN "NORMAL" an any buggar that says I am is a liar! :~

Disabled? yep... hobble around with a knee thats totaled need bifocals to see anything less than an inch in size I have "procrastinators syndrome" and am ADHD along with being a compulsive also manic depressive and addictive personality... riddled with insecurities and the old artists disability of being too close to the fine line that I keep tripping over... I also refuse to wear shoes which can be a real disability when doin shyte like welding an walking on steel on a hot day :roll: Im also a quater caste which is more often than not seen by both my own people and society in general as a disability... oh and Im severely color blind... ssshhh dont tell the whollopers but I often dont see the traffic lights or train lights and need a co driver almost constantly

But does that stop me?.. mmmm?? NOT A FRIGGIN CHANCE!! I mean Ive done pretty much anything Ive set my mind too... why some of the absolute bestest people I know are "disabled" but to hear and meet them you wouldnt know it... other than by their physical stature... wheelchairs sorta automatically do that eh wheelin? :;

I think as a people one of the absolute best thing we do here on the forum is to offer help assistance and encouragement to EVERYONE regardless of color race religion politics or "physical limitations"

YOU and everyone else in life are ONLY disabled by what you percieve you cannot do... perhaps you cant do something due to that "disability" BUT you have an imagination USE IT to achieve that something... maybe it wont be bloody whang dang doodle an fine but by god it will work FOR YOU! and ergo your no longer "disabled" by your limitations... limitations by the way more often than not set by those considered "abled"

People like Niki are the cream of the crop in my book... simply because theyre always thinking of ways of doing things that are simple easy and achievable by ANYONE... and thats brilliant in my book!!

Sometimes I think polititians and dogooders social workers whatever SHOULD spend some time and I dont mean an hour either but a few weeks restricted by the very "disability" they themselves would help or be seen to help... then they WOULD have true empathy and actually flamin well do something to change things!!

Bandaid solutions are a panacea to achieving.

wheelinround
9th November 2007, 08:13 AM
:oo: Dingo's disabled well I'll be then again aren't we all.
He's a 1/2 cast and the rest well even with out any of that Dingo I could tell straight away you are a TOP BLOKE mad as a cut snake but a TOP BLOKE.:2tsup::2tsup:.

:brava Well said even down to the comment on Niki's work and jigs.

Wild Dingo
14th November 2007, 01:16 PM
mmm seems somehow I forgot that one wheelin :B ...ahem... added to the above list Im also disabled in that Im as mad as a cut snake!! :2tsup:

HEY!! I didnt forgets that one!!... thats the fine line I keep trippin over mate :U

soooo??? whats yer excuse!! :q :U :U

wheelinround
14th November 2007, 05:20 PM
mmm seems somehow I forgot that one wheelin :B ...ahem... added to the above list Im also disabled in that Im as mad as a cut snake!! :2tsup:

HEY!! I didnt forgets that one!!... thats the fine line I keep trippin over mate :U

soooo??? whats yer excuse!! :q :U :U

My excuse for tripping over well its no long the pleasure of ales n spirits (bloody arthritis) had to stop drinking.

Tripping over a symptom of my disability which I have had from age 7 sort of diagnosed at age 14 still not 100% sure what its is yet they are still doing DNA tests 1st round scored nothing got those results 12 months ago. One day I met get the gumption to tell what it is.

Being mad well I get that from my mother, and the life I have had to live because of her.

Hakim
27th January 2009, 10:47 PM
Hi all, I am on a disability pension and have have been toying with woodwork as a way of 'rehabilitating' myself. As an old burnt-out psych nurse I do a little disability support work and have started a 'men's group' which has a base in a community garden and focuses on woodwork. We have training wheels with a focus of safety and I am the one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

I also work with a man who has had a stroke and has significant left sided deficits: his left leg and arm are paralysed and he has 'left sided neglect' meaning he tends not to see things on the left. Verbal and cognitive skills are intact and he is well educated. I am wondering what is the likelihood of him being able to be able to start with in working with wood which will give him a positive experience. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Hakim

echnidna
28th January 2009, 03:11 PM
he's capable of some woodwork.

You could try him with a hand held coping saw making jigsaw puzzles etc.
Glue a printout to a thin piece of ply/masonite.

You'd need to clamp the material so he can use it.

He has a reasonable chance of picking it up fast so he may be able to go onto more advanced things.

toolbagsPLUS
28th January 2009, 03:42 PM
Saw just the thing the other day for picking up those spilled screws and nails a magnetic broom. Magnetic plate about 250mm x 70 on a broom handle. Bunnings $14.95. Waste of time if you use brass screws of course:~

Cheers

Steve

Hakim
29th January 2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks echidna. That is a good place to start. And staying away from the power tools is probably a good idea too :o I was thinking of a scroll saw but ...

Hakim

he's capable of some woodwork.

You could try him with a hand held coping saw making jigsaw puzzles etc.
Glue a printout to a thin piece of ply/masonite.

You'd need to clamp the material so he can use it.

He has a reasonable chance of picking it up fast so he may be able to go onto more advanced things.

echnidna
29th January 2009, 10:07 PM
You need tp drift into sharp edge tools and power tools until he starts to develop hand skills

Hakim
30th January 2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks again, Bob. It's also a good chance to make sure it's his cup of tea - don't want it to be a case of what works for me should work for him too.

Hakim

You need tp drift into sharp edge tools and power tools until he starts to develop hand skills

wheelinround
7th February 2009, 09:10 AM
Just saw this post hows it going Hakim any success

Hakim
7th February 2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Wheelinaround and thanks for your interest.

My friend with the stroke has just gone into a nursing home for a couple of months while his wife goes overseas. So woodwork with him is probably on the back-burner for a while. Taking the suggestion of making jig saw puzzles, I have spoken to the boss at the rehab program for people with acquired brain injuries he attends. The plan is to produce some tangrams with a picture glued to one side before cutting. The pictures can be in a series that increase in complexity. There are lots of options there.

With the mens group, a couple of the men with schizophrenia have decided they want to try making wooden spoons. Any suggestions for a wood that's easy to carve but durable. I have a few old jarrah posts lying around but wonder if that might be too tough for a beginner project.

What are you up to, woodwork wise?

All the best,
Hakim

echnidna
7th February 2009, 12:19 PM
radiata pine without knots or pith should be quite adequate for beginner spoons.
Maybe you can scrounge some shorts/offcuts from any nearby timber merchant

Hakim
7th February 2009, 12:53 PM
Thanks Bob,

My local Mitre 10 has a chuck-out box and I shall visit in gratitude!

Hakim

radiata pine without knots or pith should be quite adequate for beginner spoons.
Maybe you can scrounge some shorts/offcuts from any nearby timber merchant

leisureologist
27th June 2009, 07:53 PM

"Special Needs Forum"

I have seen the term "Differently Abled" used. No indication of disability just a different approach. How about "Woodies with a Difference" or "Woodies-Thinking Outside the Box?" (sorry.) "A new Approach to Old Issues"? I like the idea but it needs to be inclusive rather than exclusive. I find the Woodturning forum very welcoming and the idea of solving some "different problems" would probably be welcomed there. Maybe a spot advising those with a different need to state their issue and use the amazing ingenuity of their friends to the advantage of all.