PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Accurate Holes Without a Press

DavidW
25th August 2003, 10:51 PM
G'day guy's, I have all but completed a bench for my lathe from plans and am ready to attach the top to the base. I need to drill some 1/4" holes through the top into 3/4" support rails so the holes need to be dead on. I cant use my bench drill, its to awkward.

My thought was to simply drill a hole through some stock with the bench drill and use this as a guide but the bit may not be long enough.

Am I on the right track or is there a better tried and true method I can use

Sturdee
26th August 2003, 07:20 PM
Years ago when I had to drill a lot of accurate stopped holes for door hinges I bought a Portolign Drill Guide made by the Portolign Tool Co.
It is a aluminium base with two slide bars and a connector that attaches between the drill body and chuck. The drill slides up and down at perfect 90 % and has a depth stop.
I don't remember the cost or if its still available.

Another method a mate of mine uses is as follows - attach a timber piece ( cut out to fit the drill shape ) to the drill with two large hose clamps and attach to the timber piece a fence post level. This setup will guide you to drill accurate holes. I suppose an ordinary level will also work.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers.

Peter.

chris_hewett
26th August 2003, 08:04 PM
Page 99 of the current carbatec catalog shows an item similar to the one desribed by Sturdee for $25. Might be what you are after...

DavidW
27th August 2003, 12:15 AM
That looks like just the thing I need, thanks Chris and Sturdee.

Eastie
27th August 2003, 11:13 AM
If your taking about timber you could also use a 1/4" straight bit in a router. You'd be limited to around a 1" cutter depth, but it would give you a dead straight pilot hole that you could drill deeper with a hand drill if needed. This lends itself well to large flat surfaces.

Ivan in Oz
27th August 2003, 01:39 PM
David,
Depending on how accurate it has to be,
Get a Long series drill, can be smaller.
Drill through a piece of hardwood with the Bench Drill.
Use this timber block as your guide and drill the pilot holes where you want them.
Go back and take out these holes to the intended size.

You'd be "fairly" accurate.

Ivan in Oz

derekcohen
27th August 2003, 04:09 PM
In addition to all the above excellent ideas, any of which should work satisfactorally, you might also consider using a dowelling jig as a drill guide. This has the advantage of being relatively low to the surface and yet able to guide accurately.

Regards from Perth

Derek

MOM
27th August 2003, 05:01 PM
The Torquata Drilling Guide Kit at Timbecon
http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12537&parentid=12477&prodid=28207
works well in confined spaces. Not as accurate as a drill press but much better than "by eye".

DavidW
27th August 2003, 10:08 PM
Went to Bunnies today, they didn't have anything.

Thought about a dowling jig but to exe for my requirements.

Went to my local woody shop and they had the Carba-tech guide for $27.00, bought it, jobs done, lathe is set up ready to go. Thanks to all for the advice.