PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Pet story

dazzler
5th July 2007, 12:30 AM
Thought a thread on favourite pet stories might be interesting..

Here is mine.

My border collie Toby used to stay inside from 5 to about 10.30 and then off to his kennel for the night.

When we went out he would sleep by the front door on his mat until we got home.

Came home late and were being quiet, opened the door and walked in. There was toby laying on the leather lounge on his back, legs in the air snoring. Slowly Looked over, slowly looked back and then realised he was sprung and jumped in the air with a yelp. :D

I miss him.

Iain
5th July 2007, 05:02 PM
Our first Corgi.
I used to have Wednesdays off as I worked on Saturdays so I would go to the pub for lunch, Mutt (true, that was her name) would ride in the back of the ute and when we arrived I would tie her up to the towbar and give her a bowl of water.
One day I couldn't find the rope but had about 20' of shock cord in the ute so used that.
After I tied her up and gave her water she tried to follow as weent inside the pub, she got the shock cord to about 40' and it wouldn't go any further so she stopped.
As she relaxed the shock cord did what shock cord does, and the look on poor old mutts face was priceless as she steamed back towards the ute, the roar from the pub was good too as just about everyone saw what was happening:D

silentC
5th July 2007, 05:37 PM
When I was 19 or 20 I had a staffy x blue heeler called Bear. She was an intelligent dog in many ways, but oh so stupid in others. I lived in a rented house with about 4 other young punks and that poor dog was the butt many jokes.

One day one of the guys was paid a visit by a girlfriend who had just picked up a kitten. As soon as Bear saw that kitten, she did what came naturally. The poor cat did the only thing it could do under the circumstances and dove down between the cushions on the couch to hide from the slavering beastie. The dog was hauled away and the girlfriend gathered up the kitten and took off in a huff.

From that day forth, more often than not when walking into the lounge room, there would be Bear with her head stuck down between the cushions on the couch looking for the cat in it's last known whereabouts. People would say "why has your dog got it's head stuck in the couch?". All it would take would be a "where's that cat?" from someone and she would frantically shove her head down into the couch, the seat underlay of which she had now ripped apart so she could get her whole head into the base.

So one day, one of the guy's has a girlfriend and her mate around. The couch is a two seater, so all three of them sit on it, with the girlfriend in the middle straddling the cushions.

"Where's the cat, Bear"?

You've never seen anyone move so fast. Classic!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th July 2007, 06:10 PM
Our last mutt, God bless her, was a border collie X and she was another ute dog.

We had an old XY ute that'd been converted to a 'roo shooting platform and the tray was a bit... well... past it's use by date. Being bushies, we fixed it our way. We had a 44 gal drum of bituminous tar, so we painted the tray with a good layer of that, then laid some marine ply on top. Now the marine ply, still being only a ply, started delaminating after a year or two, particularly around where our mutt's claws would scrabble just behind the cab as she tried to lean "just that bit further" out over the side. So SWMBO at the time decided to give the top of the ply a coat of bitumen too! She did use her noggin though, and spread some sand over the top.

All was well until one stinking hot day when we were driving into town on a shopping run. A couple of oncoming cars started flashing their headlights at us, gesticulating and tooting their horns as they passed. Call me slow, if you will, but it took a couple of these cars for me to realise my dog wasn't in the back! A quick look out the window and there she was, running alongside (well... sort of) in the ute's blind spot.

She'd fallen out somewhere along the way, and the leash was just long enough to let her put all four feet on the ground... to either try and keep up or be dragged. :- It's fair to say that I wasn't just puttering along, either. :no:

So after an emergency stop, a quick check of the poor girl and... her feet are covered in li'l bitumen booties! 'Twas a hot enough day that the bitumen in the tray had melted and started oozing. Maybe that's why she jumped out? Whatever, apparently they also saved her from serious injury, serving as some protection. Our first call was the local vet, just to be sure, and when we explained the situation the vet just nodded. Apparently it's one of those things that vets see all the time. Not often spoken about, but it seems that since certain leash laws were passed the no. of country dogs being taken for four-wheeled walkies has increased dramatically. Bloody pollies. :~

When the vet saw the rubber booties, he turned around with this stunned look on his face and asked "how far did you drag her?" :oo: I couldn't help it... it cracked me up. The vet musta thought he had a loonie on his hands until I explained it to him. Fortunately, there was nothing wrong with her that some industrial solvent and a good rest couldn't fix. I wish I was even half so hardy!

One thing though: I won't leash a dog in a moving ute any more. When parked, sure, Not a problem. But never again when moving, and bugger the law! :p

silentC
6th July 2007, 10:00 AM
Just on the leash thing, when I was a kid we had a Samoyed. It wasn't the brightest thing around. We were off one day to go waterskiing with some friends and they had an F500 ute. So we put the dogs in the back of it. Ours had never been in a ute before so they decided to tie her up. We had only gone about 3km when she freaked and tried to jump out. The leash was just long enough so that her back feet just scraped the ground. It was the only thing that saved the stupid mutt from going under the rear wheel, because that's where she was headed. Without the lead, she would have jumped clear but the lead made her bungie jump and swing against the side of the ute.

I reckon if you're going to tie a dog up in the back of a ute, the lead needs to be just long enough to let it lie down but too short to get near the sides.

Bear used to ride in the back of my ute all the time. I was heading into work one day when I looked up in the mirror and saw her standing up near the back, trying to stay upright. What is that stupid dog up to now? Next she does that little squatty thing and evacuates her bowels all over the tray. We only had about half a click to go, obviously couldn't wait. Nice start to the day, hosing out the back of the work ute.

Another time I was one my way back from a job. I was a bit of a hoon in those days and as we went around a 90 degree bend on a dirt road approaching the highway, I swung the tail out a bit. I pulled up at the highway to give way and I spotted out the corner of my eye a dog frolicking in the paddock next to the road. Hmm, that looks like my dog. Sure enough, the stupid mutt had lost her balance and gone over the side. Not wanting to look stupid, she had gone off for a bit of a run through the paddock as if she'd meant to do it all along.

Iain
6th July 2007, 10:07 AM
Going fishing one weekend with SWMBO and our then big dopey German Shepherd.
SWMBO had fed him a big tin of Pal and it wasn't agreeing with him.
Got pulled up on a RBT and as I wound the window down big bozo farted, poor copper nearly threw up and we had to get out of the car, god that was bad.
Never did get to do the breath test........

Bleedin Thumb
6th July 2007, 10:34 AM
The funniest pet story I've heard in a while was Gumby eating his dogs hormone tablets!

No wonder he gets so snarly.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=41573&highlight=dog+tablets