PDA

View Full Version : Pipe or Sash clamps

sam63
26th August 2003, 08:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I am interested in getting few sash or pipe clamps. While going through the local hardware store, I realised that there are quiete few sash clamp brands and they are expensive. I have been told that pipe clamps are as good, and cheaper. Is there a particular brand that I should look for? The only one I have seen so for is the one with red paint on them. I think they are made in China. Could anyone also tell me where I can get them in Sydney metropolitan area?

Ragards,
Sam

GeoffS
26th August 2003, 09:43 AM
Most hardware chains sell them. You may miss them because you will find the the two parts (screw head & tail) among the clamps and will probably have to go to the plumbing supplies to buy some 3/4" water pipe.

Pipe clamps while cheap are not always the most convenient. The pipe being round is sometimes difficult to manage. It won't sit on the bench where you want it. You can buy extra (for more money) clamps to overcome this. Another problem is that galvanised pipe leaves nasty marks on your timber. It is sometimes difficult enough managing the clamps and the packing pieces that avoid the clamping marks without having to worry about bits of rag etc. to keep the pipe off your timber. Against that, the tails are quick to adjust.

I favour the heads and tails that you put on a piece of timber (65x35). These can be placed on the bench (and they stay there), the frame you are assembling can be placed on top and they can be tightened. However the tails are slow to adjust

You can't win them all!!!

Cheers, hope this helps.

Sir Stinkalot
26th August 2003, 10:04 AM
I have tried the cheap red pipe clamps similar to those described here. I found that the spring on the far end of the clamp wouldn't grip the pipe after about 6 months so when you tighten the clamp the end just keeps moving down the pipe. I now go for the cheaper sash clamps .... I try to pick up a few when Bunnies is selling them at 2 for $30.

craigb
26th August 2003, 10:46 AM
Stinky,

These red clamps, are they the ones that carb-tec sells? I bought a couple about 2 months ago and I've only had need to use them a few times since then. I'm wondering if I can look forward to them letting me down.
I previously had bought the Prego brand ones (black colour) that Bunnies sells and they were complete crap.

Sir Stinkalot
26th August 2003, 11:20 AM
No I dont think that the ones that I am talking about will be anywhere near the quality of the Carbatec ones. The Carbatec ones appear to have a series of plates that angle back onto the pipe giving the clamping action. The cheapo's that I got from M10 had a small spring that adjusted a small gear like thing that was ment to lock onto the pipe. I find that the pressure of the spring na dgear aren't enough to lock onto the pipe so it just slides down when tightened.

craigb
26th August 2003, 11:28 AM
Thanks for that. They sound like the black ones I was referring to from Bunnies just painted a different colour. They did the exact same thing. which is bloody frustrating when you're trying to clamp up a M&T joint nice anf tight.

Craig

DaveInOz
26th August 2003, 01:46 PM
The big advantage of pipe clamps is when you buy your gal pipe in 1m threaded lengths, this allows you to make the clamp as short or long as you like in 1m intervals (or any other interval if you buy that length pipe) very versitile.

Dan
26th August 2003, 03:06 PM
The zinc coating on galvanized pipe can make it hard for the tail piece to get a grip (even the clutch plate variety). Standard black pipe is a better choice.

Dan

chris_hewett
26th August 2003, 04:21 PM
I have some "pony" brand pipe clamps that work pretty well. They recommend using "black gas pipe", which is what I am using. I purchased the clamp heads and the pipe in the USA, and was wondering if you can source this black pipe locally? I also thought that the clamp heads were set up with a standard American thread that was different to the "standard" thread here in Aus, can anybody confirm this?

On a similar line I noticed that Carba Tec are now selling Bessey K body clamps. I nearly choked when I saw the price, $153 for a 100cm clamp. These things are about $45US ($60-$65 AUD) in the USA, so I thought I might try Amazon.com . Unfortunately it lists the Bessey clamps as "unable to ship to your address". The K body clamps are a fine clamp, but $153 is WAY to much! Anybody had any luck sourcing them locally for a good price or had luck importing?

Cheers,

Chris

Robert WA
26th August 2003, 04:58 PM
The only problem I have with pipe clamps is that they can bend a bit over long spans. The same applies to the timber beam clamps.

If you are contemplating clamping 1800mm or more, go beg, borrow or steal some good, long sash clamps.

BigPop
26th August 2003, 04:59 PM
Chris,
Do you have any contacts in the States????

If so get it shipped to them and then get them to ship it to you as a 'gift'. With Amazon.com you can get free shipping on a lot of items so they will ship for free within the US and all you do is pay for the shippping to here.

mkcl
26th August 2003, 05:23 PM
Hi Chris,

I was in the US last year, and brought some K Body Clamps back with me in my luggage. Tore my suitcase in the process because they're so heavy, but they arrived without any problems and didn't attract any tax. One customs guy did hold me up for a while because he couldn't work out what they were, but then another customs guy came over and told him what they were, so no dramas there.

If I were to try bringing them in again in the future, I'd hunt around for a long box to put them in, then pack them with plenty of newspaper. They're pretty robust, so they don't need too much extra protection. Fortunately, the baggage weight limits to/from the US are very generous, so you can bring across quite a few at a time without worrying about excess baggage. If you don't know anyone flying over to the US, though, the weight will make your shipping costs ridiculous.

As a side note, the K Bodies that Carbatec has (at least, the ones I've seen) have black clamping surfaces. The first time I saw them, I didn't even recognise them as K Bodies! I've seen hundreds of red ones, but never black ones before ...

Michael.

kenmil
26th August 2003, 06:23 PM
I have tried one of the red ones and had the same problem as Stinky, so I bought a bunch of Pony brand and had no further trouble. I read that black pipe is preferable to galvanised, but where the hell do you buy black pipe in Australia ?

DonN
26th August 2003, 06:28 PM
Freight from the US is the killer.

DonN

ozwinner
26th August 2003, 06:41 PM
Hi all
I think youll find that the thread on the clamps in question is BSPT, British Standard Pipe Tapered.
I'm not sure if the USA is useing the same, but the China one might be.
Cheers, Allan:rolleyes:

chris_hewett
26th August 2003, 08:25 PM
My job used to have me travelling to the US pretty often, but that is no longer the case... I did bring home a 100cm K body as carry on luggage and thought that I would pick up a few more, but never got around to it :(

Did some searching and I have ordered some K bodies from Lee Valley, the 40" are $38.50 US ($61 AUD) and the 24" $32.50 US ($52 AUD). Found some cheaper prices, but some US companies do not ship internationally. Waiting to see what the shipping cost will be, will post it here when they email me....

Chesand
26th August 2003, 10:25 PM
I had the same trouble with a couple of pipe clamps slipping on the pipe. I took the clamp apart by carefully punching out the pin and then filing the notches on the lever until they had a sharp angle. I used a triangular file. Seemed to fix them. Also when setting them up for a job I give the top of the lever a tap with the hammer and this helps them bite into the pipe. Hope this helps.
Supa-Cheap Auto sell the clutch type for $12-95. I have bought 4 and am about to give them a work out on a bookcase.

Dean
27th August 2003, 01:06 AM
Whats the rough cost per metre for the 3/4" plumbing pipe?

Can't say I've seen the pipe clamp sets at Supercheap Auto before... I'll look a little harder next visit :)

chris_hewett
27th August 2003, 02:09 AM
For those interested, cost of freight for 4 bessey K body clamps quoted as follows:

*Surface Mail 8-10 Weeks $54.04
*Air Mail 2-4 Weeks $152.39
*UPS Express 5-6 Days to Major Centers $118.10

Cost of 2 * 40" and 2 * 24" clamps $142, if using surface freight it works out to just over $300 AUD, or about half price...

DaveInOz
27th August 2003, 11:10 AM
Re threads
When I refered to threaded pipe I meant pipe threaded so you could join the lengths together, rather than meaning the thread on the clamp ....... just clearing up.

peter mikk
27th August 2003, 12:15 PM
real sash clamps are definatley better. but regarding the pipe clamps i have purchased many over the years from various places. the red ones that slip if you take a good look they have shaped the teeth in the wrong direction to hold onto thr pipe. over the past year or so i have found some at super cheap auto parts, which have a different grip on the pipe, they use three plates which go around the pipe inside the red cast housing, and i have not had a problem with them. with the ones that do slip if i have to use them i put a set of vice grips behind the tail end. With regard to cheaper sash clamps i have a few and i found the ones with the really course thread to be better, i have a few with fine tread which tend to bind under pressure. As far as new sash clamps go record i cannot fault well exept for the price. if you can find some realy old ones that normally only need the glue cleaned off, these are the go. The pipe clamp set from supercheap is only around $13.00 and they work...

echnidna
28th August 2003, 05:36 PM
I've got a couple of good sash clamps, quite a few el cheapo sash clamps and 2 good quality pipe clamps.

Even the el cheapo sash clamps are better to use than good quality pipe clamps as they are far more rigid.

But the pipe clamps offer the versatility of being able to lengthen them by just changing the pipe. I generally only glue up with sash clamps. I use my 2 1/.2 metre long pipe clamps diagonally across a carcase to square it up while fitting off. I've never seen sash clamps that long.

BTW black pipe is easy to get from steel merchants and the cauls of the pipe clamps do grip better than galv pipe but I prefer galv as it doesn't rust.

If pipe clamps are worn they can slip on the pipe there are 2 solutions.
1. Sharpen the teeth with a file or grinder.
This even works on some of the cheap ones as the teeth arent a good shape to start with.
2. Drill a hole in the pipe behind the clamp and put a bolt through the hole to stop the clamp slipping

colh
28th August 2003, 06:02 PM
the Bunnies cattledog we got yesterday (for the opening of the Dural store) has a pair of 1.2m sash cramps (ie not pipe ones) for $twenty-something the pair.

As an aside, I fitted some small, sharpened bolts to the outer corners of each face of one of my pipe cramps to grip logs lengthways so I could cut them down with the chain saw to make lathe blanks - works well.

cheers

Colin

Chesand
28th August 2003, 09:01 PM
Had to go to Bunnies today. 3/4 Gal pipe is about $20-00 for 1200mm length - quite expensive to make clamps. They had 1200 mm sash clamps for about $30-00 a pair so they are far cheaper than pipe clamps unless you can pick up some second hand pipe for nothing as I did and then cut into various lengths - 600mm to about 1300mm and borrowed thread cutter and cut threads on each end. That way I can join them for varying lengths by using a 3/4 straight union at $2-00 each. Mitre 10 have 1200mm clamps in Fathers Day dogalogue for $14-95 each

Marc
28th August 2003, 10:40 PM
Once I needed a lot of clamps to build a free standing circular stair
(65) and found the best source of cheap clamps to be the second hand tool market in Flemington or Trash and Tresure in Prestons.

They usually have all sorts of clamps including sash clamps made in India or Pakistan, a bit rustic finish but strong, and if you are lucky some real old ones made in the US or Australia that are the best.

Marc
29th August 2003, 07:25 PM
Supercheap Auto has some nice Indian made sash clamps 1.5m long for $29 and about half that lenght for $10.
They do look real decent and I don't think you get them for that money not even at the pawn broker.

BigPop
29th August 2003, 09:01 PM
I went down to Bunnies today and bought a set of the 1200mm sash clamps they have in their current catalogue for $29.95 and am using them at the moment.
They look to be quite sturdy and are doing the job that I want them to do.
Even though they are 'cheapies' they appear to be well worth it.

adrian
5th June 2004, 02:24 PM
I know this is an old thread but info is info.
I bought some Pony clamps from Gasweld for $33 each and went to Dorvik in Port Macquarie and bought 12 metres of 3/8" gal pipe for a little over $30 and they threaded the ends for about $15. Don't bother going to a plumbing supplier for the threaded pipes because it will cost a lot more. One of the plumbing supply shops told me that they get the pipe cut and threaded at Dorvik anyway. Each completed clamp ended up costing a little under $40, which is very good value when you consider that Ponys are a US made clamp and are known to be practically indestructable. They are heavy but what-the-hell, if you need 2-3 metre long clamps they have to be fairly rigid.
Carefull how you use them though, be gentle. They apply a lot of pressure with very little effort and not a lot of feedback. (like a wishbone car jack)

Bob Willson
5th June 2004, 03:06 PM
I didn't like using the heavy galvanised water pipe that the plumbers sell so I went to a fencing place and got some of their lighter gauge pipe. It is excellent quality and is soft enough that the pipe clamps can really bite into it. But the biggest advantage is that it is lots lighter than galvanised water pipe.

If you should want some really heavy walled pipe then ask for Ammonia pipe. This is a very strong pipe and is used in the refrigeration industry.

I bought a couple of Quick Grip PowerPress clamps and they are excellent. They are fairly expensive, as are all the quick Grip clamps, about $50 a set from memory. I will get more of these when I can afford to.

PS the pipe for the Quick grip stuff doesn't need to be threaded.