PDA

View Full Version : wot price

snappygum
5th July 2007, 05:33 PM
:) G,day
Found this forum a couple of days ago,what agreat place to source ideas and have abit of a laugh. Living in a remote part of the Pilbara its a bit hard to get ideas .Have been turning no for about five years and mostly trial and error with lots of error Mostly turn snappy gum which is a local wood that makes jarrah look like soft butter but is verry fine grained.Started on a GMC but now use an MC900 bolted to a bench which is bolted to the floor.Question is Ive no idea what price to put on an item. In the past Ive given them to Flying Doctor fund raisers and told them to whack a price on them.:((

benji79
5th July 2007, 06:09 PM
A few pics might help some of the guys give you an idea.:2tsup:

WillyInBris
5th July 2007, 06:16 PM
Hi Snappy,

How long is a piece of string.

Cost of Materials Wood sandpaper glue finishers etc (even if they don't cost anything you should still give them a price one day you may have to pay for them)

Cost of your time to do the piece, in other words wages(I value my time as a min $30 an hour).

I would Add a min 30% to cover equipment even if you have it you need money to replace equipment as it wears, belts on your lathe and buying new equipment to do the job faster etc.

Then you have profit this should not be mixed up with wages! don't under value or discount your goods :no: people will pay for quality and craftsmanship if they don't want to pay don't sell it to them.

Do a search you will find plenty of information on these forums,

One on pens
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=44717

rsser
5th July 2007, 06:30 PM
Yep, wot Willy said.

I buy most of my blanks and set the price for everyday turnings at blank cost X 5. This is for bowls, platters, vases, pencil jars etc. All pretty plain sailing. Anything more complex I add a premium.

I'm no pro. What folks get usually is a good shape, and/or interesting figure, and a reasonable finish.

I recently sold a nat edge euc. burl vase shaped thing. Blank cost about $35 a few years ago. It went to Italy. The client got a bargain cos to replace that blank now would cost way over 35. Price for a 'replacement' now would be around 300 or upwards.

hughie
5th July 2007, 08:20 PM
One of Oz's more well know turners uses a simple formula.

Height x diameter + cost of timber or replacement cost = $.

He uses inches...might be a bit frightening if mm were used. :U

imagine 600mm x 150mm in $ .................lol

snappygum
5th July 2007, 08:31 PM
Sorry about that heres some pics:o

Hardenfast
5th July 2007, 09:11 PM
I very much like that timber. Snappy Gum you say? Would like to hear from the other forum members as to their experience or knowledge of this one. Anyone know of any local (Sydney) sources or equivalents?

Allan at Wallan
5th July 2007, 10:17 PM
Hi Snappy Gum,

Not much assistance to you re the prices but just
wanted to say what a nice job you have done.
Lovely looking wood, look forward to seeing comments
by those more experienced than me.

Good luck!

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time:D

snappygum
5th July 2007, 10:49 PM
Hi Hardenfast
As I mentined snappy gum is as as far as I can tell native to the pilbara in
nw WA. The other name is Mygum or Aboriginal name Mygoo.It is pretty hard to find and get to the trees as they grow on the top and sides of hills and mesas. Also any thing that is on the ground the termites will be into, so I reckon it would be hard to source a suppler outside of West Oz

soundman
5th July 2007, 11:00 PM
I'd recon it would be unreasonable to expect less than $35 to 40 for the little one and $65 to 70 for the bigger one.

It all depends on who the market is and how it is presented.

working class bush folk are less likely to see the art & value if the items, but shiny bumed, chardonay fourwheel drivin', city grown tourist types should see more value and cough a worthwhile price.

properly presented, in the right place with a story and some patience I recon you could get $50-60 for the littlun and over $100 for the bigun easy.

nice

If you want to make some easier money, package up some turning blanks and sell em to eastern costal dwellers like us.
The postal system is a wonderfull thing... remember 3kg goes anywhere for about $10

cheers

rsser
6th July 2007, 09:08 AM
If you want to make some easier money, package up some turning blanks and sell em to eastern costal dwellers like us.
The postal system is a wonderfull thing... remember 3kg goes anywhere for about $10
cheers

... if it fits in an AusPost satchel.

Gil Jones
6th July 2007, 11:55 AM
Snappy, I cannot suggest a price, as I have no idea what your area will support. On the other hand, your bowls are very nicely turned, and that wood is excellent.:2tsup:

snappygum
7th July 2007, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the comments, I think next time we go south I'll take some pieces and see what happens but with some ideas in the back of my mind:wink: