PDA

View Full Version : my latest turnings

robyn2839
5th July 2007, 09:42 PM
i have turned these all in the last week,i think i have become obsessed with turning since the new lathe arrived, which just happened to be my first week of retirement. great forum you have here,and am looking forward to contributing.bob

m2c1Iw
5th July 2007, 09:59 PM
Bob, I'm thinking I need to have a go at turning every time I see some work like yours they look great.:2tsup: For us non turners could you show and tell a bit more about the pieces.
Mike

Allan at Wallan
5th July 2007, 10:00 PM
Hi Bob,

You have been busy!

Now get out and cut the lawns, weed the garden,
and paint the window frames. Anyone would think
you have retired just to play at woodturning.:~

I know how you feel having just retired a few months
ago. Good luck with your turning.:2tsup:

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.:D

soundman
5th July 2007, 10:10 PM
Mark Harison & I both know that robyn has a new lathe, because I have the chuck off the old one and mark has the lathe:D :D

There isn't much we miss arround here.

But what replaced the jet mini.

come on Bob wheres the pictures of your new machine:D

cheers

robyn2839
5th July 2007, 10:49 PM
heres the new one $1900 at carbatech sydney, the store at cooorparoo were selling the last of them for $870 on special. they are called a beaver, and they are guaranteed by vicmarc, any warranty is done by vicmarc, not sure what they have to do with them . great lathe, heavy as,quiet.bob dont know how to post photo in reply

robyn2839
5th July 2007, 10:53 PM
here we are i figured it out

soundman
5th July 2007, 11:04 PM
By the look of that workshop you must be retired... or you are major panic's long lost brother.:D

joe greiner
6th July 2007, 12:00 AM
Disgustingly tidy. Shame on you.

Oh, and welcome aboard, Bob.

Joe

Manuka Jock
6th July 2007, 12:04 AM
Doesn't look like the cars' gonna go back in the garage any time soon eh .:U
Nice pieces Bob , and I see that you have some tasty blanks lined up too
cheers ,
Jock

TTIT
6th July 2007, 12:04 AM
You're makin' me jealous Bob.!:~ I couldn't find time to make that much stuff in a month, let alone a week.........and still find time to clean up afterwards!:~:~ Geeez how I want to retire - tomorrow!!!!!:C:C:C

Great work Bob - maybe some close-ups next time!:;

reeves
6th July 2007, 12:25 AM
He's got a beaver!

nice turnings, the cleanliness of workshop is disgusting and unaustralian, next pics better have some grot and dust or yrll be in beeeg trubble....

Sebastiaan56
6th July 2007, 07:19 AM
So its true, there is life after work. Other members of the Blue Mountains Club regularly ask when Im going to retire. All I can do is look wistfully ..... They do it to all of the working members.

I look forward to seeing more posts Bob,

Sebastiaan

robyn2839
6th July 2007, 08:00 AM
thanks for the comments guys, and yes the car doesn,t go in ,and the garage gets a vacuam daily,then i can find stuff, its not always tidy .i figure i,ve got another 30 years making expensive saw dust left to go before i go up the chimney, thats a lot of wood . bob

ps will post a photo of a centering jig for faceplate turning, a mate of mine made

Hardenfast
6th July 2007, 08:53 AM
Nice looking pieces, Bob. And yes, the workshop looks a little daunting for those of us who still have to commit 50-60 hours per week in search of an income.

The Beaver looks very much like the new Jet Midi lathe that I recently purchased, although the Jet is only around $480.

Looking forward to being able to spend more time doing what I actually want to do. Retirement you say.......

Gil Jones
6th July 2007, 11:58 AM
Real nice collection of fine looking turnings!!

funkychicken
6th July 2007, 02:25 PM
*Drool* Some much wood.

They're some nice turning Robyn. Keep it up :)

OGYT
7th July 2007, 09:53 AM
A shed that clean is a sign of a sick mind... so I've heard. :D 'N ya need to do somethin' about that nasty pile of timber chunks there... send 'em to me, and I'll convert 'em for ya. :D
Looks like some nice work, Bob. Some closer shots, along with some info, etc., will usually satisfy most of these blokes. Welcome to retired life, and congrats on the new lathe. Looks like a nice, heavy one.

Wayne Blanch
7th July 2007, 08:52 PM
Nice work Bob :2tsup:
I don't understand how you can keep a shed that clean??? If I have the time to be in the shed I usually spend it on the lathe. I only seem to clean up properly when I absolutely have to, and that usually is when I am having trouble finding the floor under the shavings.:doh:

Harry72
8th July 2007, 12:17 AM
Nothin wrong with a clean workshop, looks like you've set yourself up well Bob.
Nice turning work too.

robyn2839
8th July 2007, 02:27 PM
thanks for the kind comments. bob

rsser
8th July 2007, 03:48 PM
Good work Bob. Looks like you got the hang of retirement pretty quick.

The Beaver is Vicmarc's Chinese brand yeah? They had one model on the Carbatec website clearance section for a while.