PDA

View Full Version : Hoping for inspiration on these shelves I've been asked to make.

JDarvall
7th July 2007, 09:51 AM
Just now, the nice guy next to my wifes stall asked me to make up a small piece to shelve his produce..jars etc.... its going to sit in a corner of the local pub on the counter.

This is far as I've got. :- Thinking of have the front supports turned. All very thin and lean.

Just not sure...Kinda hoping for some pictures to inspire me.

I've got 3 hours minding kids to work it out. And a quote. still hate quoting. Ties me in knots.

He's after nice presentation etc. But wouldn't want to pay much for it. Uno, same old story.

yep, so any ideas on how it could look(pictures maybe), and a quote. appreciate it.

JDarvall
7th July 2007, 12:39 PM
The ideas evolved a bit. 3 shelves of glass. Each shelf is a frame that locks into the uprights with halving joints with moulding tacked in over the sides of each frame...mitring at each corner excepting the back uprights.....crown moulding...and at the kicker........ Beading here and there. Panel raising maybe at base.

If you were to buy something like this, nicely made, say out of silky oak. How much would you be prepared to pay for it ?

I'll go see what he thinks.

Andy Mac
7th July 2007, 12:46 PM
Looks good Jake, and great to see your workmanship is starting to attract clients.
I like the turned supports but that would add to time and costs compared to straight cut/planed ones. Also will they accept any sides and a back to support the structure?
Although glass shelving looks good for display purposes, would that be a sensible choice sitting on a bar...ie. getting knocked by someones wayward elbow??:wink:
BTW, becoming a real fan of silky now are ya!?:p

Cheers,

JDarvall
7th July 2007, 12:57 PM
Ta Andy. I'm happy about the extra work. If it builds up enough I maybe able to quit at the joinery.

I like the turned supports but that would add to time and costs compared to straight cut/planed ones. Also will they accept any sides and a back to support the structure?
Although glass shelving looks good for display purposes, would that be a sensible choice sitting on a bar...ie. getting knocked by someones wayward elbow??:wink:
BTW, becoming a real fan of silky now are ya!?:p

Cheers,

I was thinking turned supports too. But, it would take time your right. Maybe something simple. I don't really like overly complicated turnings anyway. They always look too caustraphobic to me. All those beads cramed up on one another.

I'm pretty sure he won't want sides. Wants people to see as much of his produce as possible I'd say. And I'm not sure if he wants a back on it. I feel it would simplify things if there wasn't..and less cost....as long as I make the joints tight and strong it should be ok. :-

Good point on not using glass at the bar. I'll mention that. ta.

Still not a fan of silky oak. :D .....just got a lot of it to use up you see.

Thanks Andy. Needed someone to bounce ideas off.

forunna
7th July 2007, 05:48 PM
Have you seen the bar and position where it is going to sit?
could help with design if you know its surroundings.