PDA

View Full Version : Great book on routing

ndru
27th August 2003, 12:13 PM
Hi

I bought a copy of Woodworking with the Router : Professional Router Techniques and Jigs Any Woodworker Can Use (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0762102276/ref=cm_wl_ovu-pg.1-pos.1/002-0433899-8364041?v=glance&coliid=I3M5QO45TTXDJI&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER) by Hylton and Matlack a couple of weeks ago and have been browsing through since. This book is fantastic! It is very comprehensive while still being concise. It covers every basic topic I can think of about the router. There are a few router table designs in the book, including a horizontal table. It even covers the finer ergonomic points of router purchasing and how to choose and work plastics for a router table insert or router bases.

It is easily the most "complete" tool reference book I have read. In comparison, I have also have "The Bandsaw Book" by Lonnie Bird, "Router Magic" also by Bill Hylton, and "Table Saw Techniques" by Roger Cliffe, which are great books but don't come close to the scope and depth of "Woodworking with the Router".

kenmil
27th August 2003, 06:06 PM
I agree with you, it is a good book, and in fact I used their plans for a router table, but I actually found Hylton's book "Router Magic" to be a little less dated looking, and it seemed to have more practical jigs etc.
Just my view, but nevertheless they are both worth a look, as is the Lonnie Bird Bandsaw book you mentioned.

Geoff Egan
27th August 2003, 11:32 PM
Must be a good book if price is anything to go by
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books From Around The World With Great Prices
Build Your Own Router Tables

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step-by-step instructions describe how to design and build three different types of router tables: a portable job-site table, a shop table, and a contractor's table.
In Store Price: $4,995.00
Online Price: $4,495.50

Check Shipping options and Rates
This title will be ordered from the publisher and may take up to 15 days for delivery. Titles can run out of stock and we will advise you if delivery is affected.

ISBN: 1558704590
Format: Paperback
Number of pages: 159

Author: McPherson, John
Imprint: Betterway Books
Publisher: F&W Publications Inc
Date Published: 31/12/1997
Language

:eek: :eek: