PDA

View Full Version : Furniture Plans for the Physically Challenged

echnidna
7th July 2007, 08:15 PM
Here's a website that may help demonstrate some ways towards solving a challenge

http://www.charm.net/~jriley/Challenged.html

Some plans are free, some are for sale

I don't regard the website as money grubbing, or demeaning in any way.

wheelinround
8th July 2007, 11:05 AM
Here's a website that may help demonstrate some ways towards solving a challenge

http://www.charm.net/~jriley/Challenged.html (http://www.charm.net/%7Ejriley/Challenged.html)

The money grubbing I mentioned is the way the charge doubles for anything for the disabled equipment wise.
I am not asking for handouts or freebies but all would be accepted.
There are many associations and individuals who give their plans designs and time free such as TAD.
http://www.tadnsw.org.au/index.html

Recently I joined a gym Burn Rubber Burn at Minto http://www.pcycnsw.org/mosparts/b_sparts_burnrubber.htm
The equipment they use has cost the NSW tax payers double what it costs if the same equipment was going to a normal gym. This gym has been set up as many gyms are not wheelchair freindly.

The stupid thing is its state governemt and local planners that are allowing places to open and not checking plans and access, these same governments dish out the access laws.

echnidna
8th July 2007, 11:31 AM
agreed, there are a lot of ripoff artists.

So hopefully this forum should be somewhat helpful.

So why don't you put your money where your mouth is and try and help too?

Just as a matter of interest, I will try to help those that try to help themselves, but I won't lift a finger to do things for those who are capable but lazy or greedy.

wheelinround
8th July 2007, 01:32 PM
agreed, there are a lot of ripoff artists.

So hopefully this forum should be somewhat helpful.

So why don't you put your money where your mouth is and try and help too?

Just as a matter of interest, I will try to help those that try to help themselves, but I won't lift a finger to do things for those who are capable but lazy or greedy.

I have been but you haven't been listening:doh:

I agree I used to do heaps of work for able bodied mates on their vehicles large & small to help them out mainly because I had the background and didn't charge.
When it came to my need for help they were to busy down the pub/club or mates drinking.

BBBrrrrrr just come in from the cold garage been out sharping a saw that the previous own had half sharpened the wrong way guess his eye sight was falling........like mine.
Two pair of glasses (not very strong) I had to use the magnifyer to see the teeth.
Sitting in the wheelchair I clamped the blade between two pieces of timber onto the side of the bench and swung my 100 watt light over it.....nice position
One side done but its to cold out in the garage now 15C.

echnidna
8th July 2007, 01:44 PM
They weren't mates, just people users who don't get a second chance with me.

wheelinround
8th July 2007, 02:45 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=49888&page=2

savage
10th July 2007, 11:32 PM
G'Day Wheelinround,
small world!..just checked out the P.C.Y.C. site, are you in any of the pic's?...I live around the corner from there, if you want to pop around for a quick cuppa your welcome, but it would have to be Tuesday as I take my wife to hydro on Thursday. P.M. me if you are interested, I'm afraid most of the house isn't W/C friendly but we could still sit in the back room it's warm and dry. Names Eric by the way!...:U

wheelinround
11th July 2007, 10:56 AM
G'Day Wheelinround,
small world!..just checked out the P.C.Y.C. site, are you in any of the pic's?...I live around the corner from there, if you want to pop around for a quick cuppa your welcome, but it would have to be Tuesday as I take my wife to hydro on Thursday. P.M. me if you are interested, I'm afraid most of the house isn't W/C friendly but we could still sit in the back room it's warm and dry. Names Eric by the way!...:U

No I am not in photos they were mainly taken at the Prince Of Wales centre.
will PM you
Take your wife to hydro what no shower to wash her in???:D:D sorry that wasn't nice

Ray

s_m
15th July 2007, 07:52 PM
The money grubbing I mentioned is the way the charge doubles for anything for the disabled equipment wise

Yeah and not only does the price double but the quality and reliability halves. Or if you manage to get something reasonably priced and reliable the @#$@#$ thing looks like a complete dog's breakfast!

My hubby's wheelchair is a good example. It cost as much as a small Japanese car :oo: and you'd think for that they could fix up a myriad of little quirks such as putting the battery connectors somewhere easy to access when catching a plane, and using some cable wrap to tidy the electrics up a bit...

Steph

Steph

wheelinround
16th July 2007, 04:06 PM
Yeah and not only does the price double but the quality and reliability halves. Or if you manage to get something reasonably priced and reliable the @#$@#$ thing looks like a complete dog's breakfast!

My hubby's wheelchair is a good example. It cost as much as a small Japanese car :oo: and you'd think for that they could fix up a myriad of little quirks such as putting the battery connectors somewhere easy to access when catching a plane, and using some cable wrap to tidy the electrics up a bit...

Steph

Steph

:o :B I never swear in front of ladies..always do it so they can't hear or see me:U

Yeh but if they put the terminals where you could get to them it would make it easy for you.
Like engineers who design motor vehicles everything is up behind, down under, covered over. They should all be made pull the m apart and put them back together prior sale not once for a month.

ssgt
16th July 2007, 04:38 PM
As the parent of a 16 year old who is wheelchair bound I have not been able to find much if anything at all out there that deals with disabled people in the workshop. I have had to either modify or design and build from scratch for anything (almost) Fortunately for me the girl has yet to develope and interest in ww. If I cant find or source anything I have found the TAD people outstanding. If I have to purchase then its on with the tin hat and flak jacket as the rip off merchants are a cause of great loss of temper on my part. ( manual wheelchair for the girl in excess of $4000). Quality is always an issue and ease of breakdown another, try flying with an electric wheel chair. Rant mode off. That all said there are many people out there trying to ensure disabled people get the best of best service. In my case the social worker for PMH is outstanding, also DSC is allways ready to bendover backwards to help but its a different story with Centerlink.

wheelinround
17th July 2007, 09:59 AM
As the parent of a 16 year old who is wheelchair bound I have not been able to find much if anything at all out there that deals with disabled people in the workshop. I have had to either modify or design and build from scratch for anything (almost) Fortunately for me the girl has yet to develope and interest in ww. If I cant find or source anything I have found the TAD people outstanding. If I have to purchase then its on with the tin hat and flak jacket as the rip off merchants are a cause of great loss of temper on my part. ( manual wheelchair for the girl in excess of $4000). Quality is always an issue and ease of breakdown another, try flying with an electric wheel chair. Rant mode off. That all said there are many people out there trying to ensure disabled people get the best of best service. In my case the social worker for PMH is outstanding, also DSC is allways ready to bendover backwards to help but its a different story with Centerlink.

I know some Lions clubs and Rotary (Rotoract junior Rotory) clubs help with funding or raising funds.

excuse my ignorance PMH?? and DSC???
Centrelink well thats another matter and best leave my own comments out of here, but they are commanded from ACT.

wheelinround
17th July 2007, 10:02 AM

I know some Lions clubs and Rotary (Rotoract junior Rotory) clubs help with funding or raising funds.

excuse my ignorance PMH?? and DSC???
Centrelink well thats another matter and best leave my own comments out of here, but they are commanded from ACT.

There is no reason that pricing should be any different for anything made for disabled materials all cost the same.....the design factor how ever can take some doing.
From there it could be insurance co's causing the problem I can never find an answer.

WoodyKnot
29th July 2007, 11:57 AM
I agree I used to do heaps of work for able bodied mates on their vehicles large & small to help them out mainly because I had the background and didn't charge.
When it came to my need for help they were to busy down the pub/club or mates drinking.....

One side done but its to cold out in the garage now 15C.

G'day Bloke,
have had simular experiences with so called mates or as I call 'em aqaintances these days. No matter though for I still go and help people and sometimes our hearts are too big to not help them even though one knows some of them won't return the favour when in need. It's what makes us folks Aussie I reckon, helping people and being a part of this great forum too.

15C is warm i reckon especially if one is workin hard. It's when it gets below zeroC that it's cold. I had a patio heater workin in the shed lately but understand now that one must operate it outside. I have to repair the ceiling where the heater used to sit below it.

Anyway take it easy bloke n have a good one!

Mark.

wheelinround
29th July 2007, 03:40 PM
G'day Bloke,
have had simular experiences with so called mates or as I call 'em aqaintances these days. No matter though for I still go and help people and sometimes our hearts are too big to not help them even though one knows some of them won't return the favour when in need. It's what makes us folks Aussie I reckon, helping people and being a part of this great forum too.

15C is warm i reckon especially if one is workin hard. It's when it gets below zeroC that it's cold. I had a patio heater workin in the shed lately but understand now that one must operate it outside. I have to repair the ceiling where the heater used to sit below it.

Anyway take it easy bloke n have a good one!

Mark.

Thanks Mark..... like yourself I have made these people acqaintances distant ones
some I haven't seen or heard of for 4 or 5 years.
I still have a big heart and give myself for what ever I can do more limited these days even though I am a pom:U came out as a freebie with ten pound paying parents.

Shame the fellows I used to help out were almost all Aussies either on paper or decendant from convicts:D some were escaped I think

This forum is great I found WWF just prior the WWS 2 years ago my first WWS. sadly I didn't buy anything then:no:.:doh:

I have become hooked badly in WWF even though for 2 years I have browsed on and off especially when google comes up with search's I have done on a number of WW things.

Even had a laugh at others expense and thought hey I have done that same thing made same mistake so not only IDIOT on planet.:;

Well since posting regarding cold I have braved 9C (could have even been less) and a small fan heater with garage door closed and yes I have warmed up with working.The days were sun is available without appointment I move outside.
I was only saying to swmbo thrusday last year or prior I would have been rugged up infront of heater freezing my goolies off and suffering baddly with arthritis last year and this season I have done well all things considered.

And thanks to the board no idea who in particular!!!
Don't know how it works but noticed I have graduated to Senior Memeber is that due to my age??? Surley not my ability.

Ray (hoppie)

echnidna
29th July 2007, 05:28 PM
Don't know how it works but noticed I have graduated to Senior Memeber

Ray (hoppie)

Congratulations Ray,

Yer now officially an Old Phart :o :o

WoodyKnot
29th July 2007, 07:44 PM
Don't know how it works but noticed I have graduated to Senior Member...
Ray (hoppie)

Hey Ray, now ur a senior member, does this make u the boss too:U
way 2 go bloke.

Mark.

wheelinround
30th July 2007, 09:50 AM
Congratulations Ray,

Yer now officially an Old Phart :o :o

:doh: for god sake don't :no:tell my kids they have been calling me that for...20 years
But its an honour to be amoungst many
and part of which was past on from my dad...........the phart bit obviously family traite:D

Hey Ray, now ur a senior member, does this make u the boss too:U
way 2 go bloke.

Mark.

Hope not to many around now but I'll take the $$$$$$$$ that comes with the title :D

Mark walks out the door looks at the ice on the ground and sneaks back to bed.

WoodyKnot
30th July 2007, 10:28 AM
Mark walks out the door looks at the ice on the ground and sneaks back to bed.

Hey Ray, how did u know this as not many folk do. Seems my pup has been chattin to people over the fence again:; darn it.
I musta learnt it from my pup as he does the same thing. At times i wish there were a frozen lake nearby so I could try ice fishin without the expense.

hagd
Mark.
Oh and time to go back to bed, later..

wheelinround
30th July 2007, 03:12 PM
Hey Ray, how did u know this as not many folk do. Seems my pup has been chattin to people over the fence again:; darn it.
I musta learnt it from my pup as he does the same thing. At times i wish there were a frozen lake nearby so I could try ice fishin without the expense.

hagd
Mark.
Oh and time to go back to bed, later..

:D 1 night spent at Guyra Caravan park coming home from QLD about this time of year and making a dash early morning without shoes on feet nearly stuck to caravan steps and ended up nose first.
Plus 10 years living down the road in Tamworth
Try Black Mountain Lake have heard it could be good this time of year:U

Jedo_03
20th August 2007, 09:01 PM
thanks for that link echnidna...
I work in the health service with Stroke victims (and others)...
One man I'm working with is a former chippy before a CVA paralysed his right side and wrecked his speech... So I chose woodworking etc as a theme in his rehab... naming tools and their uses, etc...
Today I showed him and his missus the forum thread about disabilities and we clicked on the site... Lo and behold was one of the very things he could use... A Boot Step...
Now in the process of trying to organise how we can get him involved with the making of it... handsaw jigs and aids, nail guides etc...
Just want to say thanks on his and my behalf for the url...
cheers
Jedo

http://www.charm.net/~jriley/Challenged.html