PDA

View Full Version : Moved up a notch or two

orraloon
8th July 2007, 09:19 AM
Hi,
I have just got myself a Leady lathe. I bolted her down westerday and roughed out a green camphor bowl. So sweet to use and took less than half the time my record would have done. After my experience with the crappy MC900 this is turning heaven. It comes with a ****load of extras including an expanding chuck that is so easy to use.
When I decided to call Bruce Leadbetter he had one in stock and I went round and made the deal that day. He is a great guy and entering his workshop is a bit like grasshopper seeing the master. I came away with a head full of ideas as well as a lathe.
Pity I am at work today but I will post pictures soon.

Regards
John

OGYT
8th July 2007, 10:21 AM
Good on ya, John. Glad to hear it. It's always good to get a new toy...er, a... tool.
I've read other's posts saying that Bruce Leadbetter was a good man to deal with. He oughta get a lot of business. Is the "Leady" from the "Lead" in Leadbetter? Does he make them?
When you get home, make yourself a large pile of shavings to celebrate. :D

orraloon
8th July 2007, 02:26 PM
Al,
I guess the "lead" in the name may be right. Yes he makes them and designed them originally for use in schools. I was very impressed when I saw the machine working. He has used his experience as a turner to design in many user friendly features. His chuck is very easy to use. The recess is strait sided and cut with a blade bit on the tail stock so no measuring required. Google leady lathes for some info. Rest assured I will be up to my *** in shavings tomorrow.

Regards
John