PDA

View Full Version : First time for everything

Black Ned
8th July 2007, 04:34 PM
Never been in a caravan or to a caravan park -- always used hotels/motels. Before I rush out and buy a caravan, i'd like to get an idea of what to expect. I know that towing a van will slow the journey, but then we will see more of the country. What are the amenities like in most caravan parks, what services are on offer. Do we need to be 100% self sufficient to visit a park. My wife loves her showers and breakfasts and ensuite available at motel/hotels. Should we try out a cabin arrangement at a caravan park to test the waters. What do these provide. I have retired and would like to travel and go fossicking and if the caravan idea works out then off we go.
Please tell of your experiences and recommendations so that I can get the wheels in motion.
Thankyou in advance

Iain
8th July 2007, 05:05 PM
Try a caravan park for a weekend but not a city or suburban park, they are a favourite haunt for druggies, stick with a country park, somewhere that has a river or whatever nearby and is child friendly, should give you a better insight as the residents will be like yourself.
You can get an onsite van as opposed to a cabin if that is what you want, probably a good idea to'feel the water' before you jump in.
Modern vans are pretyy light and tow well, get a decent tow pack such as a tow hitch, electric brakes with proportioning controller, anti sway etc, will cost a bit more but you will forget its there behind you.
I tow a big horse float and fully laden with two of the big horses I am looking at close on three tonnes up back, with the hitch and controller towing and braking nis a breeze and sometimes you can forget it is there, I also have airbags in the rear suspension to level the ride but I am talking a huge load.
Stack the caravan properly to distribute the weight evenly, this will assist with safe towing.
Get what info you can from the RACV or whoever your organisation is re towing.
Depending upon what you are driving will dictate what weaight size etc you can tow but it shouldn;t slow you down too much, be aware of who is behind you, regardless of what speed you are travelling idiots regard you as holding them up and will attempt to pass in the most unlikely places.
I travel on freeways with a full load at 110kph and they still have to get in front only to slow down to 90 kph.
Take it easy on rough surfaces, the caravan will last a lot longer.
Thats a start...........enjoy the trip.

bitingmidge
8th July 2007, 06:06 PM
Linden,

I would like to say I'm not anti-caravan, BUT... we travelled 7,000k earlier this year with friends who were towing a medium sized pop-top van which they'd owned for a few decades. We were camping mostly, in a three man tent.

Before the trip, they had pretty much decided to buy a new van to see them through the next bit of their lives. After the trip, they made the decision to sell the van!

If you aren't going to spend a year at a time on the road, the economics of cabins and on site vans are such that combined with the saving in fuel, and the interest on the money you would have spent on a van, it's waaaay cheaper to stay in cabins and on-site vans overall. Most have decent ensuites as well, so get a car fridge and a hiking stove so you can boil the billy on the road, and have a go without the van!

After realising that our three man tent took less time to set up and pack up than their van, our mates are buying a two man job for "emergencies" when on the road. For those times when they arrive somewhere in the middle of the national music festival and haven't booked sort of thing!

(We stayed in Motels or cabins on rainy nights BTW).

Good luck, oh and at 58, hanging round in van parks you'll feel like a kid!:D

Cheers,

P

echnidna
8th July 2007, 10:04 PM
The huge advantage of a van is you can visit places that don't have any accomodation facilities at all.

bitingmidge
8th July 2007, 10:45 PM
Bob, while I agree with what you are saying on the one hand, there are also many places you can't go with caravan attached.

So, if you are going to park the van somewhere to use as a base, you may as well be day tripping from wherever anyway!

There are lots of reasons why you'd have your own van/motorhome, but cost savings aren't any of them!

Cheers,

P
:D

les88
9th July 2007, 08:11 AM
I would hire a van the size that you are considering and go for a trip.
I have always been a van man and enjoy stripping out the innards and putting in my setup.
We spent 4 years when we retired in our van seeing ozz.Had a great time but not cheap we stayed at C P. When you arrive at a popular town the job of finding a van site at all, and a good one is a fluke at the best of times. Try Broome, Cairns, Darwin.
Good luck with your adventure.
:2tsup:

wheelinround
9th July 2007, 12:47 PM
SKI stands for Spending Kids Inheritance
I recieved this and thought of your situation:U:U
Modern motor Homes RV's have it all for mum and dad

munruben
9th July 2007, 02:03 PM
If you are thinking of purchasing a new caravan at todays prices and extras cost of fuel used, I feel you would be a long time spending that kind of money in motel accommodation.

Unless your van is equipped with a shower and toilet, then be prepared to use a community showers and toilet block.Some of these amenities leave a lot to be desired on some parks. Parking your caravan in a park these days is not cheap either. Most touring caravans are pretty cramped for space.

Hire a van same size as you intend to buy, visit and stay in several caravan parks to experience what it is like. Towing a van is not all milk and honey. I towed caravans for thirty years all over Australia due to my work and it can be quite a hassle towing the big vans around, even the smaller ones if you haven't towed one before. especially if you are a mature age person. (love that expression, in the old days would have said "if you are old" but these days its mature aged)

I guess one advantage of caravaning is you can cook your own meals but in view of the cheap meals offered in the clubs today, I wonder if much savings could be made there.
I am also not anti caravan but you need to be sure you would like this mode of accommodation permanently.

I hope I haven't disillusioned you, many people love caravaning and you may find its just what you want, so try it out first, then make you choice. Personally I agree with your wife, I too like the comforts of todays motels showers and breakfasts. No washing dishes, no making up beds etc. Thats the life for me. :D Good luck.

munruben
9th July 2007, 02:08 PM
SKI stands for Spending Kids Inheritance
I recieved this and thought of your situation:U:U
Modern motor Homes RV's have it all for mum and dad
Yes, they are great but did you look at the price ticket. :oo: You need to sell your house to come up with the down payment.:D

Black Ned
9th July 2007, 05:32 PM
Thankyou for the replies so far.

Do you need to pre-book van space in caravan parks in general or is it worth a punt to just rock up with a van and expect to get in?
Also is the time of day a consideration to get to a park. How long to set up?
What are the restrictions on parking overnight on the roadside or rest area?

Grunt
9th July 2007, 05:49 PM
I just bought a 25' caravan for the block and towed it from Ballarat to Lancefield. A little over 100ks. I rented a diesel Land Cruiser to tow it. It was a little over 100ks and I used nearly a tank of fuel.

Towing it was stressful. You have to really stay on the ball when you're driving. You won't appreciate the scenery.

My choice would be to get a good tent. One that you can stand up in.
Something like this.
http://www.freedomcamping.com.au/tents/ft0.jpg

Also, get some good self inflating mattresses.

After you've been camping for a few days, stay in a Bed & Breakfast.

wheelinround
9th July 2007, 05:55 PM
Yes, they are great but did you look at the price ticket. :oo: You need to sell your house to come up with the down payment.:D

The best site for all your info
http://www.cmca.net.au/

He's a woodie aint he handy man of many talents could buy an ex bus/coach and do it the way he likes best
http://www.cmca.net.au/markets/marketplace/bus_conversions.htm

Join the grey Nomads http://www.thegreynomads.com.au/

or let someone else do the driving http://www.hawkesfordscoaches.com.au/

Allan at Wallan
10th October 2007, 09:17 PM
For many years, when we had the kids at home, I towed
our old caravan to the Rosebud Foreshore and stayed
a couple of weeks. Site rental was reasonable and the
kids loved it, my wife put her feet up and read books and
I did my best to put up with the sand and mosquitoes.

Now, after an absence from towing the van for about
15 years, the wife and I are retired, the kids are grown
up with their families we purchased another caravan
at the weekend. It is a 25 year old Millard 14 footer
and has been rejuvenated e.g. new frig, air con, new
tinted windows, smoke alarm, upholstery and fresh
paint. The owner spent $3,500 alone on a brand new
fold away annexe so it is probably better than the
original.

See photo attached ... if you see me in your area
it might pay you to lock up your stash of woodturning
material as I can always make space for it in the van.:D

Allan

I am not at all worried about dying
... but just hope I am not there at the time.

Wild Dingo
14th October 2007, 02:24 AM
mmmm I reckon your better of buying a mobile home than a caravan... a caravans a pain in the proverbial more often than not... you are cramped its the pits to unhitch rehitch friggin around with the annex try that buggar in the friggin cold or rain (and believe me SHE will want it up regardless of the weather!) the costs of staying at a caravan park the bloody kids the damned dogs... I personally have 2 caravans here one for the eldest sons use when he wanders home (keeps him outta the house!! :; ) and the others going to become a boat trailer with some modifications... I will never trail a damned caravan again.

However I will be building (or buying depending on her highnesses demand expectations :doh: ) a mobile home... if I build it it will be a slide on slide off for the F100... if I buy it will be a bus which will give us the ability to tow a small trailer with a 4x4 and boat on top and be TOTALLY self sufficient and thus save us a shyteload on park fees... these can be had in pretty good nick for around the same price as a caravan so why bother?

Mind you some of the gin palaces on wheels can be tempting both in the caravan and mobile home areas... not for me Im afraid prefer things pretty simple when wandering

However you can hire either a caravan or a mobile home and if youve no experience then that is what you should do to get a taste... do both if you can... hire the caravan and give it a whirl then hire a mobile home and give that a whirl go bush for a few weeks

Let us know which way you go :2tsup:

bab600
31st January 2009, 05:43 PM
Can I put my 2bobs worth in I'M an old fart I wouldn't go past living under canvas so we purchased a camper trailer you know the ones flop over to open up ready to go bed all made up fridge in the back of the Pajero pull out the kitchen (after the coldy) sit back and relax. We have done this in the middle of the night (no coldy) in about 15mins but whats the rush.
The good thing that you do get from travelling to caravan parks is meeting new friends :)

PS With a motor home and the likes how do you travel around during the day or do you need to take extra transport towed behind? :((

Andy Mac
31st January 2009, 09:37 PM
I have a caravan, a really old one which we've done up a bit. I don't enjoy towing it much, I find it really quite stressful, but then I'm not a real keen driver anyway. Certainly not a good way to see the country you drive through. We only use it once a year now, to go to Woodford Folk Festival, because it beats tenting in the mud:p. It is a handy spare bedroom or playhouse...although I have been known to bring it to big parties so we can sleep the night!!:D
As for caravan parks themselves, they aren't all that cheap, can be busy, and as pointed out the communal ablutions can leave a bit to be desired. (I always wear thongs when showering, an old RAAF habit I never dropped.) Noise can be a problem too, at night, which is OK if you're young and ready to have fun meeting people.
If I had my choice I'd buy another campervan, like the old poptop Kombi I had for 8yrs, but not much luxury or space to stretch out! Just easier to drive and less mucking about parking etc.

Cheers,

RETIRED
31st January 2009, 10:13 PM
PS With a motor home and the likes how do you travel around during the day or do you need to take extra transport towed behind? :((It takes us just on 10 mins to pack and go in a motorhome to see the sights.

The advantage is that you have your rest area, tea room, cafe, toilets and dining room with you the whole time.:D

There are a lot that have a vehicle with them but in 6 months around Australia we hired one if we needed it,

catbuilder
1st February 2009, 10:31 AM
Hi All

I have owned two caravans, older ones, I have owned a full size 16ft caravan and a Jayco Dove wind up camper. Although it didn't really stress me out, the full size van required a fair amount of concentration, not only of what I was doing, but trying to keep other road users happy as well.

The Dove was a much better rig, the car only felt it was there on hills, and honestly felt like a normal trailer on the back. I sold this camper about 7-8 months ago, with the thought of buying something the same, but a bit newer and neater, I am regretting the sale now and have done for a little while now.

Maybe consider one of the wind up camper or as suggested earlier, a camper trailer, I think they are far better in terms of towing, storage (of said van), vision, parking (I'm talking about in a town to go shopping etc..)

I am a truck driver (bet you never saw that coming) and reckon caravaning or camping is a great way to spend time with the family, friends and see new places. So, chose a rig that suits your experience and needs, a camper trailer or wind up is my weapon of choice.

Regards

Matt

Buzza
16th February 2009, 08:30 PM
We have done heaps of travel over many years, and I reckon Munrubin is on the money. A self contained unit with ablutions, can save five nights a week accomodation by camping in parking bays and such for a sleep over. You then go into an expensive Cara Park twice a week to do the laundry and empty sullage tanks, and refill your water tanks. The parking bays are usually goods places for a camp fire and meeting like minded people. We are talking about living on the road for extended periods here, and tents are the pits after about four nights, even if you can stand up in them. They get real hot real qhick and vice versa, and extreme weather can make it really nasty. I can remember a tent roof gathering about sixty litres of rain water in a few minutes on a beach near Bundaberg, and we had to push it off from inside, and then collapse the tent, and sit up all night in the car. :U