PDA

View Full Version : Pot Pourri Bowl for Dieing Aunt

dai sensei
8th July 2007, 08:40 PM
When I was kid my parents often travelled a fair bit O/S and one of my aunts (that never had kids) usually looked after us, so she was always like my second mum. Last week she was admitted to hospital after a fall, her eyesight failing, demensure setting in and health going backwards. She was discharged, but straight into a home. Her husband died last year, so we do not believe it will be long, she is in her late 80's.

Her farm had cedars on it and she loved her roses, so I made this pot pourri bowl out of Australian Cedar and filled it with dried roses for her room. I have also got some essential rose oil to ensure the smell lasts (my cousin that visits her each day can add). I will be travelling south to mid NSW coast to give it to her in 2 weeks, hope she hangs on.

The cedar is certainly "electric", the first photo showing it best. The large cracks are filled with brass filings and CA. It is finished with Shellewax and Glow.

Cheers

Wayne Blanch
8th July 2007, 09:44 PM
A sad story but a lovely bowl.:2tsup:

That is a beautiful piece of wood, I am sure that your Aunt will love it and the thought that has gone into it.

Speanwoody
8th July 2007, 10:34 PM
Lovely work and a kind and lovely thought, all the best

TTIT
8th July 2007, 11:21 PM
That cedar is so bright it looks almost un-natural! Lovely piece Neil:2tsup: Hope you get the opportunity to hand it to your aunt.

fred.n
8th July 2007, 11:27 PM
A beautiful present she will enjoy.

markharrison
8th July 2007, 11:48 PM
Neil,

Your Aunt is a lucky girl. She may never have had children of her own but she was obviously blessed nonetheless.

It's a sad but uplifting story at the same time.

All the best,

Mark

joe greiner
9th July 2007, 04:29 AM
Nice work and a beautiful gesture, Neil. Best of luck to her. Hope she has much time to enjoy it.

Celebrated one of my aunt's 90th b'day in Ottawa a few years ago. She assisted my mum when I was just out of the oven. I told her she made all her mistakes on me, so that's why her own kids turned out so well. Got a good chuckle from her. Sad to say, I reckon my next trip to the Great White North will be for her funeral. Ah, well; nobody gets out alive.

You're a fine nephew, Neil.

Joe

Gil Jones
9th July 2007, 04:50 AM
Lovely bowl, Neil, she should love it! :2tsup:

OGYT
9th July 2007, 07:31 AM
Ditto, All of the above, and the rose trellis top just sets it off! Hope she sticks around to enjoy it a while...

Sebastiaan56
9th July 2007, 08:58 AM
Moving story, lovely bowl, the finish really does the timber justice, I hope she can enjoy it,

Sebastiaan

ptc
9th July 2007, 01:04 PM
Ditto, All of the above.

arose62
9th July 2007, 04:50 PM
Ah geez!!!

My favourite maiden aunt passed away 7:00 pm 7/7/2007 aged 86, and her funeral is tomorrow.

She was a missionary nurse in Tanzania for 20 years, and had some tales to tell!!

Apart from weeping at the similarities with the OP's aunt, there are two wood-ish tie-ins:
she had a really cool (IMO) coffee table that looks like it's made out of a slab of some burl, which has come to me, and
she also gave me her collection of hand-carved african animals, most of which were gifts of gratitude from patients whose lives she saved.

Feeling for you,
Andrew

mic-d
9th July 2007, 05:58 PM
Nice bowl, nice thought, nice fella!

Cheers
Michael

Mulgabill
9th July 2007, 08:05 PM
Hey Neil!

A beautiful gift and thoughts are sure to lift the spirits!:2tsup:

rsser
9th July 2007, 08:29 PM
That's a great gift Neil.

Mrs Woodpecker
9th July 2007, 08:31 PM
You are a lovely man. Ditto to all the other sentiments.
Shirley

dai sensei
9th July 2007, 09:15 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments and thoughts. This aunt was certainly my favourite and no doubt will hit home hard when she passes. She had always hoped to go quickly in her sleep on her farm, like her husband. I can only hope her time in the home is short, sounds cruel, but I know she will hate it being stuck in a room.

...I reckon my next trip to the Great White North will be for her funeral

It's sad when the people we care about get to that age when it is only a matter of time. All the best.

My favourite maiden aunt passed away 7:00 pm 7/7/2007 aged 86, and her funeral is tomorrow.

Sorry to hear it, all the best.

She may never have had children of her own but she was obviously blessed nonetheless.

Spot on.

robynmau
11th July 2007, 01:11 PM
Ditto to all above

She'll love it, and also love the sentiment behind it :U

Safe travels

Cheers

Robyn

Hardenfast
11th July 2007, 03:50 PM
Brilliant piece, Neil. I certainly would not have recognised it as Australian Cedar without your confirmation. As you say, "electric" grain configuration.

Well done, young man!