PDA

View Full Version : Wanting To Build A Boat

Wyld One
9th July 2007, 12:06 AM
G'day guys,

My mate and I are looking at making a small dingy. We have had a look all over the internet for plans but we can't find any easy ones to make. We are looking at making a boat that is one person and it can't be no longer than 200mm. We both do woodwork at school and we both love it and we are very talented at it!

Cheers Lachlan

Wild Dingo
9th July 2007, 02:26 AM
G'day guys,

My mate and I are looking at making a small dingy. We have had a look all over the internet for plans but we can't find any easy ones to make. We are looking at making a boat that is one person and it can't be no longer than 200mm. We both do woodwork at school and we both love it and we are very talented at it!

Cheers Lachlan

200mm?? 200MM?? Your kidding right? thats a small MODEL mate!! :U

mmm maybe you meant 2000mm? sorta 2mtrs?... what about a canoe? nah not a stripper something simpler like a ply canoe? easy as Woodenboat ran an article on what they called the 6 hour canoe... and I know theres one or two on the net for free... try a search using the word piroque... or maybe you would prefer a jon boat? this is also a cheep ply boat easy to make and a great quiet water fishin platform as well

On another thing have you been to the mother (http://www.boat-links.com/boatlink.html) yet? ooh your in for a real treat there mate!! some serious good links!! :2tsup:

Good luck with it

bitingmidge
9th July 2007, 08:17 AM
2 metres is still a tiny, almost unusable boat.

IF you can push it to 2400 mm the PDRacer is the easiest and best boat in the world! :D

http://www.PDRacer.info
http://www.storerboatplans.com/Pdr/pdr.html

The plans are $20 not free, but you get the largest, biggest and best explanation set (nearly 100 pages) that you are ever likely to find.

Good luck,

P

weisyboy
9th July 2007, 05:59 PM
i have a set of plans to make a "flatty" (flat bottomed dingy) if you want them i can skan them and email them to you.

b.o.a.t.
13th July 2007, 01:04 AM
G'day guys,

Cheers Lachlan

Google Hannu's Boatyard. He's into Very Small Boats. If you are talented at woodwork, even his hardest would be a doddle.
cheers
AJ

Wombat200
11th November 2007, 10:27 PM
I have free plans somewhere for a 7'6" (2200ish) v-bottomed stitch & glue dinghy, makes a useful tender & includes details for a centre board & sailing rig..... uses about 2& 1/2 sheets of plywood & small amounts of timber.....

Boatmik
12th November 2007, 07:57 AM
Howdy Wombat,

And welcome!!! Just check the date on a thread before you add to them. The post before yours was in the middle of the year and the young gentlemen would have long resolved the problem.

A "discussion of ideas" type thread can be revived at any time, but when someone wants a good supply of cheap boatnails the urgency has probably died away a bit.

I did this for a couple of weeks too when I first joined!

Best wishes
MIK

Wombat200
14th November 2007, 11:42 PM
Howdy Wombat,

And welcome!!! Just check the date on a thread before you add to them. The post before yours was in the middle of the year and the young gentlemen would have long resolved the problem.

A "discussion of ideas" type thread can be revived at any time, but when someone wants a good supply of cheap boatnails the urgency has probably died away a bit.

I did this for a couple of weeks too when I first joined!

Best wishes
MIK

I'm yet to meet anyone who hasn't picked out a design in uly, but will have it sorted by the Nocvember ;)

I might be wrong, but most builders procrastinate long & hard before cutting the first board ;)

Boatmik
15th November 2007, 12:17 AM
No probs!!! If they come back they may be able to use your advice.