PDA

View Full Version : Some stuff I've done.......

MajorPanic
27th August 2003, 11:43 PM
To save bandwith just have a look at my woodworking page on my site.

www.majorpanic.com/woodwork.htm

derekcohen
28th August 2003, 02:06 AM
Major P

That is really terrible work.

Truly impressive.

Best from Perth

Derek

DPB
28th August 2003, 08:54 AM
Wow!

I'm lost for words.

MICKYG
28th August 2003, 09:24 AM
You have raised the bar, and something for us all to aspire to.

Kind Regards

Mike:)

Wood Borer
28th August 2003, 09:33 AM
Fantastic - do you hand make your joints?

- Wood Borer

MajorPanic
28th August 2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Wood Borer
Fantastic - do you hand make your joints?

- Wood Borer

Hi W/Borer
Now I must admit that the joints are done on a Leigh dovetail jig but I enjoy doing them by hand. Most of the cabinets I make for our place are hand cut dovetails. It just depends on how much time I have.

GeoffS
28th August 2003, 09:56 AM
Wood Borer - Nah! he's got CNC gear, it does the lot!!!!

Makes my own dismal attempts at woodwork quite embarassing.

Wonderful work - these are really works of art, I would be scared to use them.

Wood Borer
28th August 2003, 12:17 PM
MajorPanic,

How did you do the emblems for the company? I have seen similar work done with lasers and CNC equipment.

- Wood Borer

MajorPanic
28th August 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Wood Borer
MajorPanic,

How did you do the emblems for the company? I have seen similar work done with lasers and CNC equipment.

- Wood Borer

The logo was done with a CNC router after which I had to finish cleaning it up by hand. The smallest bit was 2.6mm and the company wanted sharp corners on the map of Aust.

PlaneCrazy
28th August 2003, 01:15 PM
MajorPanic,
Truly masterful work. I salute you.
PlaneCrazy

silentC
2nd September 2003, 04:03 PM
The boxes are really nice and a credit to your abilities.

But what I'm REALLY interested in are the marking gauges. I have a bit of a fascination with tool making and the cross-discipline of working with wood and metal. I've had a go at making a really basic gauge but I think it was all wrong from the start. It was carved from a piece of Black Bean, which I thought would be hard enough. I had a metal tension screw to lock the beam but the pressure ended up splitting the head.

How do you get started on this? Is there a book or something that you've used for ideas, or is it just trial and error?

MajorPanic
2nd September 2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by silentC
The boxes are really nice and a credit to your abilities.

But what I'm REALLY interested in are the marking gauges. I have a bit of a fascination with tool making and the cross-discipline of working with wood and metal. I've had a go at making a really basic gauge but I think it was all wrong from the start. It was carved from a piece of Black Bean, which I thought would be hard enough. I had a metal tension screw to lock the beam but the pressure ended up splitting the head.

How do you get started on this? Is there a book or something that you've used for ideas, or is it just trial and error?

I started making gauges because on a project I was working on required about 4 different repeatable settings that HAD to be accurate. So instead of adjusting the one & only gague I had I made up some new ones. When that project was finished I thought I could do a better job on the marking gauges so I sat down & redesigned them from scratch.
While I was buying the brass for the gauges I saw some bronze round & I thought I could make a mallet out of it. The first attemps were on a wood turning lathe using a angle grinder to shape the bronze :confused:

harty
4th September 2003, 10:06 PM
I hope they don't put crap wine in your pieces of art.