PDA

View Full Version : Huon pine

vin
9th July 2007, 08:46 PM
Hi, I don't do much woodwork these days. I am in the process of cleaning up my shed. I have stumbled upon a piece of huon pine that I bought back in about 1976. I am just curious of what its value would be today. Its rough sawn and still very straight. Its about 3"x 3'' x 8'

IanW
9th July 2007, 10:22 PM
Vin - it's utterly worthless, old cobber, in fact it's a real danger to your health, releasing all that nasty resin into your environment. Tell you what, just to show what a great band of blokes us fellow woodies are, just pop it into the mail to me and I'll see that it's rendered harmless...... :D

Serious answer, no bloomin idea, of course - it's a furrin species up here, but someone ought to know what 6 super feet of seasoned Huon costs these days? :?
Probably a leetle bit more than you paid in '76.

Cheers,

soundman
9th July 2007, 10:42 PM
would probaly fetch $20 to $40 on ebay if someone was keen.
If it was me buying...& it was clean and crack free....$10 tops.

cheers

Harry II
9th July 2007, 10:47 PM
probably about over 200 years or so:ogive or take a thousand:o

Jedo_03
9th July 2007, 11:13 PM
All seriousness though...
when I was looking at the huon pine last year at the adelaide WW show it was the same price as oil... and nothing fancy... just white anaemic stuff with the occassional brown-ish knot...
Honest - don't see why the stuff commands the price it does...
These were "slabs" though - appealing to wannabee coffee table makers...
3x3x8ft suggests turned legs @ 600mm... buy a slab at a WWS and you have a matching (anaemic) coffee\occasional table...
I'd suggest put it on Ebay @ $10 a foot...
See how you go..
Jedo

Hi, I don't do much woodwork these days. I am in the process of cleaning up my shed. I have stumbled upon a piece of huon pine that I bought back in about 1976. I am just curious of what its value would be today. Its rough sawn and still very straight. Its about 3"x 3'' x 8'

soundman
10th July 2007, 10:21 AM
OH:doh: 8 FEET..... I was thinkig it was 8 inches......
Welll thats a different story
So it would be more like $250 or more for someone who is interested..... or chop it up & sell it a pepper mill blanks:o :no:

cheers

Tasman
10th July 2007, 11:36 AM
Giday Sound man,well here in Tassie that piece has 6 super feet in it and would sell for about $10 per super so if you can get more go for it.
I know it seems an over rated timber and i agree unless it has some nice birdseye or burl figure in it.........

Reguards Tasman ...............

soundman
10th July 2007, 12:11 PM
Now i didn't say that I would pay that for it:D

I have been regularly gob smacked at what " certain people" manage to get for various pieces of wood.
AND what lots of people are quite prepared to pay for it.

At one of my local "woodcraft suppliers" the have a crate of huon bowl blanks.

I have stuck my nose in the crate a number of times:o :o .

cheers

reeves
10th July 2007, 02:21 PM
still worth ten bucks ;-) maybe 20 if it's highly figured and has lots of birds eye.....

i just bought a 12 inch x 8nch x 1 inch highly figured chunk from Tassie for 25 so thats the going rate and possibly a bit pricy. Chunks the size you describe, according to IST prices are probably between 15-20 bucks, goes for about $8 per kilo.

Lumber Bunker
11th July 2007, 09:43 PM
Rough sawn and dry, in NSW = $70

KevM
11th July 2007, 10:13 PM
still worth ten bucks ;-) maybe 20 if it's highly figured and has lots of birds eye.....

i just bought a 12 inch x 8nch x 1 inch highly figured chunk from Tassie for 25 so thats the going rate and possibly a bit pricy. Chunks the size you describe, according to IST prices are probably between 15-20 bucks, goes for about $8 per kilo.

If you have a full price-list from IST you will see that 75 x 75mm dried rough sawn huon is $30.00 per metre.

You will find that green bowl blanks are sold by the kilo, dry furniture timber is generally sold by the lineal metre in smaller quantities.