PDA

View Full Version : Electric Fence

barbz
10th July 2007, 04:56 PM
Just bought a electric fence energiser to stop the dog getting into the veggie patch but now wondering if its possible to join this small patch to a strip here and there around the garden using aligator clips to attach to each bit of fencing wire.

So long as the overall circuit stays the same this shouldnt be an issue should it?

Cheers
Paul

Mirboo
10th July 2007, 05:31 PM
We powered electric fences all over our farm with a single electric fence unit when I was a kid. The electric fence unit, a big mains powered Gallagher (sp??), was kept in the dairy and we linked it to fences all over the farm. I'd be surprised if there was a unit available that couldn't handle a back yard or garden. You just need to make sure that the electrified wire is insulated from ground and when your dog touches the wire he completes the circuit to ground and gets a zap.

DJ’s Timber
10th July 2007, 05:35 PM
Can be done, but just remember that the more you add on, the less punch it will have, it really depends on the unit you have.

We have a few on the farm, the one on the yards would be useless for the rest off the property as its only meant to energise about 500mt of wire wheras the other ones are capable of doing 5 or 10 km.

Barry_White
10th July 2007, 07:19 PM
I have one that does a couple of small paddocks and the house yard and I have just the white cord with a couple of strands of thin wire threaded through it around the gardens.

A dog doesn't need much of a belt to learn the lesson from it. My dog only got one belt from it around the vegetable garden and I ended up taking it down and he doesn't even go near that garden now.

He was digging in a flower garden chasing lizards so I put it around that garden. My wife had a habit of leaving it off and one night he thought it was off so he went to get in the garden he must have got a belt and it made him jump into the garden. When i came out in the morning I wondered where he was because wasn't in his kennel.

I walked around the corner and there he was sitting in the middle of the garden and not game to come out. He wouldn't come when I called him so I had to turn the fence off and hold the wire down before he would come out. Now every time he goes past that garden he gives it a wide berth.