PDA

View Full Version : saw dust coming out my ears

weisyboy
10th July 2007, 09:18 PM
in more ways than one.

i have so much sawdust i cant give away and do not want to dump it up the back.

what do the rest of you do with your dust.

echnidna
10th July 2007, 10:06 PM
Get onto a gardening club and it'll all go

soundman
10th July 2007, 10:36 PM
Compost it.
Go to the nearest chookery, obtain "a quantity of chook poo"
mix it in equal proportions with the saw dust, add a healthy amount of dolamite mix in some soil if you like and anything else like grass clippings and compost it.

If you think I don't understand how much saw dust.....I do:D .... come and check out my compost heap....S

cheers

Harry72
10th July 2007, 11:53 PM
Mine has been going to an orchid grower, uses it in walkways of hot house's.

Ramps
11th July 2007, 12:09 AM
I know our local Timbercrete (http://www.timbercrete.com.au/) dealer was after a few sources of sawdust but only the stuff from blonde timber ... didn't want the Jarrah ... discolours the bricks too much.

wheelinround
11th July 2007, 12:02 PM
Make fire bricks for your wood heater or BBQ
Find someone who smokes their own fish or meat I do this for the wifes Trout on a webber style BBQ
Garages use it to mop up oil spills also

I have also seen artist use sawdust but dont know of any personally

West OZ Mark
11th July 2007, 03:17 PM
I have tried bagging my sawdust and selling it but it was too time consuming and had trouble selling them so I now heap it up and tell people to come and grab a free trailer load for there gardens just to get it out of my way.

I have looked at wood briquets on the net but have not found a cheap and easy way without buying a expensive briquete machine.
...Mark

weisyboy
11th July 2007, 06:51 PM
i have normaly got about a tandem trailer load a day. pobably about a cube.

i have been giving to local horse owners but they have started complaining about the smell of the camphor. and they dont like hardwood sawdust as it is to spiky for their horses. they only want "shavings".

echnidna
11th July 2007, 08:24 PM
I know this sounds dumb,
but odd things do happen ...
Try selling it on Ebay

soundman
11th July 2007, 08:25 PM
welll you know what they say.... if you mill and get 30% good timber, 30% offcuts and rubish and 30% sawdust you are doing well.

BTW has anybody seen combustabrick makers being offered lately, they were quite a popular thing in the 80's

Have you thaught about a kiln fueled by a chip heater?

cheers

wheelinround
12th July 2007, 02:39 PM
in more ways than one.

i have so much sawdust i cant give away and do not want to dump it up the back.

what do the rest of you do with your dust.

Find a steam mill http://www.grandchestersawmill.com.au/faq.htm#q5
or steam train museum they'll take it off your hands

oldbob13
14th July 2007, 12:25 AM
Many years ago a friend was a gardner at the local cemetary. The council cut up a heap of Camphor and chipped it. Great free mulch for the rose beds...wrong it killed them all:oo:
Just a word of warning
BobT