PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Platter

funkychicken
11th July 2007, 12:24 AM
Here are some pics of the platter that has taken up about two weeks of my time. It's Camphor laurel sanded to 800grit and finished with straight beeswax.

Now that weird thing in the centre is red cedar. I'll explain later.

hughie
11th July 2007, 09:45 AM
[

Now that weird thing in the centre is red cedar. I'll explain later

:U :U I had one of those once in a bowl...cos I stuffed up the depth.:C :B :U

Good looking platters. :2tsup:

robyn2839
11th July 2007, 10:15 AM
isn,t campher laurel the nicest timber to turn? love that stuff,so does my lathe. bob

rod1949
11th July 2007, 11:19 AM
For a noxious weed it sure produces nicely figured timber!

westpest
11th July 2007, 12:16 PM
Hey Guys

Just brought back a swag of Camphor Laurel bowl and platter blanks from Toowomba as it is hard to get (read expensive) in Perth. 300 x 100 bowl blank for $12.00 and $6.00 for 250 x 40 platter blank who'd believe it....
Would like to know if there is a finish that will allow aroma to escape or do I just leave it natural.

Thanks
DanF

rod1949
11th July 2007, 12:22 PM
Hey Guys

Just brought back a swag of Camphor Laurel bowl and platter blanks from Toowomba as it is hard to get (read expensive) in Perth. 300 x 100 bowl blank for $12.00 and $6.00 for 250 x 40 platter blank who'd believe it....
Would like to know if there is a finish that will allow aroma to escape or do I just leave it natural.

Thanks
DanF

Hey Dan, do ya know anyone here in WA with a Cape Lilac tree in their yard. Its the same breed.

rsser
11th July 2007, 04:45 PM
Westpest: Finish it with your favourite poison. The smell dies away whatever you do.

hughie
11th July 2007, 06:36 PM

Dan if its an enclosed type bowl/container it will take some time. i knocked up a candy/lolly type container with a lid 6 months later it was to strong to put any candy in it. Maybe its individual trees or part there of...dunno but it was real strong.

funkychicken
11th July 2007, 08:16 PM
WestPest, I put a thick coat of beeswax on that sucker and the camphor smell still comes through as strong as ever.

I shall now explain the Cedar centre.
See now what I do when I making bowl etc. is to mount the blank on the faceplate and turn the outside, I also turn a hole in the centre of the item. Note: the hole mustn't go all the way through.
I then take the item off and turn a plug.
After sticking the item on the plug and glueing it true. I turn out the inside of the item and finish it.
Note: For it to work well the plug and hole have to be perfectly round and perfectly square.

Funky C

La truciolara
14th July 2007, 08:20 AM
Don't explaim...
I think we all had such center at least once (if not more) :U

jess
15th July 2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, go the smell of Camphor Laurel, can't get enough of it!
LOL