PDA

View Full Version : how to attach floorboards to aconcrete slab

doggr
11th July 2007, 01:20 AM
gday all,
i need advice on how to attach floorboards to a concrete slab. i dont want to install floating floor. thanks in advance.doggr.:)

mike25
11th July 2007, 11:03 AM
Your best bet to ensure they stick and stay stuck is a 100% Urethane Adhesive.

You should probably seal the slab to avoid any moisture ingress comprimising your installation. (also make sure that the sealer is compatible with the adhesive you choose)

It can be a messy installation but if done slowly and with planning it is definately worth the extra effort over floating.

cheers
mike
www.ecoflooring.info (http://www.ecoflooring.info)

jon46089
11th July 2007, 08:36 PM
Hi doggr.

You can go
(a) direct to concrete (pro installer recommended)
(b) on battens over concrete (probably quickest / least expensive)
(c) onto plywood fixed to concrete with plastic underlay
These methods are described in the PDF file (starting page 23) in link below

http://www.timber.org.au/resources/FWPDC%20Flooring%20Manual%20Final%20Dec%2005.pdf

Personally, I will be laying 15mm ply over plastic and then 19 mm floor boards over.

No doubt this method is the most expensive, but this should be best way to avoid problems, plus will provide a good solid "feel" and the final 34 mm thickness should provide good insulation.

Jon46089

Mutley2003
11th July 2007, 08:43 PM
umm, I don't have any advice but ony a few questions, because I too am interested in this

a) is your concrete floor flat/level

b) are you going to mount direct on the slab (no battens?) - if so, is that a great idea? If you mounted over some battens (maybe only 10mm or so) , would not you get more bounce/comfort from the floor

c) what sort of urethane glue is best .. a product name or two would help

d) how thick is the flooring material? like T&G thickness (15mm?)

e) how do you handle issues like lips at doorways etc?

enquiring minds would like to know

mike25
13th July 2007, 05:37 PM
c) what sort of urethane glue is best .. a product name or two would help
I actually work for a company that is a distributor of urethane adhesive but don't think its fair to advertise directly on the forum? We sell direct from our Adelaide warehouse. There is another reputable product in the marketplace that is sold by the same people that make 'blu-tak'

Cheers Mike

glock40sw
13th July 2007, 07:34 PM
[quote=Mutley2003;543993]
c) what sort of urethane glue is best .. a product name or two would help/quote]

Use Bostick Ultraset or Sika T55J

These are the 2 adhesives used for 99% of timber flooring installations.

Use what the pro's use.

I'd go 15mm ply as mentioned in a previous post.

les88
16th July 2007, 08:10 AM
I would use batons on the floor.
les