PDA

View Full Version : Magno RBS12A

GeoffS
29th August 2003, 09:20 AM
There seems to be an epidemic of bandsaw buying - and like many others I am in the market.

In all my reading here I have not seen mention of the Magno range, in particular the RBS12A from WWM.

Does anybody no much about them - are they just a re-badge with a strange number?

Another question.

Is a 14" saw capable of resawing 150 x 50 slabs or flitches. Not all the time but in all types of timber.

Cheers

ozwinner
29th August 2003, 06:41 PM
Hi Geoff
I have got a very simular BS from WWM.
If you need to saw bigger stuff this BS hasnt got the balls to do it.
Thin stuff, ply and stuff like that is ok as long as you change the blade.
Mine has only got a 3/4 HP motor, and its a wimp, show it some decent material and it runs and hides.
Unfortuneatly you only get what you pay for.:(

Now if you want a good BS, WWM have really good one for sale, the Sonic 5300, but it is $1895.
But it has got a 2HP motor and all the features you would expect to find on a decent machine.
This is is the next one Im going to buy when I get the cash.

I have bought other stuff from WWM, and always get good treatment and service, but be warned, if you go and see Stan, make sure you take your sense of humour with you, this bloke has a wicked sense of humour.

http://www.woodworking.com.au/

Cheers, Allan:)

GeoffS
30th August 2003, 09:17 AM
Ozwinner - thanks for the comments. As you say 'you gets what you pay for'.

I am hoping for some comments about 14" saws ripping 6" material. You certainly don't recomend this saw!!!
I am always cautious when using a machine to the limit of its capacity. Against that is that you can get height riser kits for many of the 14" saws. They must be capable of cutting something over 6" - plastic foam maybe!!

Maybe somebody else might comment or might just start a new thread with that as the subject.

Thanks again

Cheers

derekcohen
30th August 2003, 01:19 PM
I am interested in the replies of more experienced bandsaw users (I am a novice here with but 6 months ownership of a Carba-tec/Ridgid BS1400).

Logic tells me that blade tension is the determining factor, with the higher the tension the less deflection and the straighter the cut. A good (and correct) blade adds considerably to this equation. Logic also tells me that Horse Power (hp) is an important but not essential factor. 3/4 hp is enough (the feed is slower) but more would make life easier (feed is faster). The 14" bandsaw has been the mainstay of the semi-professional and professional woodworking community for decades and remains a solid tool. Therefore, a good 14* bandsaw, set up correctly, should have no difficulty ripping 6" timber.

I am also interested in a 6" riser kit for my setup. My readings tell me that a 6" riser kit works (and if it didn't, then it would not last very long on the market place). They're been around a while now and generally get good write ups in the mags. I would imagine, following on from my above comments, that a riser kit would expose any weaknesses in the bandsaw's setup and penalise it accordingly with poor cutting (e.g. for veneer). On the other hand, given the ability to dial in very high blade tension (and etc), the cuts could be as good as a much bigger bandsaw.

Experienced users please feel free to correct any of my above thoughts.

Regards from Perth

Derek

GeoffS
30th August 2003, 01:37 PM
Thanks for comments Derek.
Maybe I really did put this under the wrong subject. Just have to see if we get a few more comments on this matter.

I have always felt uneasy about riser kits - my argument being if the saw is designed for 6'', doubling it looks like you would be stretching the friendship - but as you say, they have been on the market for a long time so somebody must find them satisfactory.

Lets hope for mor comments.

Cheers

kenmil
30th August 2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by derekcohen

I am also interested in a 6" riser kit for my setup. My readings tell me that a 6" riser kit works (and if it didn't, then it would not last very long on the market place). They're been around a while now and generally get good write ups in the mags. I would imagine, following on from my above comments, that a riser kit would expose any weaknesses in the bandsaw's setup and penalise it accordingly with poor cutting (e.g. for veneer). On the other hand, given the ability to dial in very high blade tension (and etc), the cuts could be as good as a much bigger bandsaw.

Derek

Derek,

I don't even own a bandsaw (yet) but all my reading tells me that one of the weaknesses of the average 14" saw - which is exacerbated by a riser kit - is that it cannot actually apply the very high tension that you speak of. I understand that it is possible to deflect the frame if too high a tension is applied also.

derekcohen
30th August 2003, 07:33 PM
Ken

My thoughts ran along the same lines you mention when I was researching a bandsaw to purchase. In the end, this was one of the factors that led to my buying the Carba-tec BS1400, which I have mentioned before is badged in the USA as a Ridgid BS1400.

I have tried to spell this issue out to other buyers on this site on a few occasions, but perhaps I was not convincing enough (or perhaps I am way off base in my understanding of bandsaw use). I guess everyone has their own particular priority when choosing a particular machine.

I have included below a table of tension values for a number of bandsaws (taken from Fine Woodworking N0. 153, Winter 2001/2002). This includes the Delta and the Jet, which are easily recognised among the brand names (I'm not sure of the others). These did not do nearly as well as the BS1400, which is the only cast iron bandsaw to rival (and in this case to equal) the tensions achieved by welded steel frames.

It may have been a singular case, but the Carba-tec BAS350 (that has been touted on these pages for beinf had at a bargain price) was a complete failure in this area when I attempted to tension the blade at Carba-tecs showroom. At the end of the day what determines a bargain will be the intended use of the machine. My intension has partly been to resaw wood for matched leaves, and I could not justify spending more that around $750.

Regards from Perth

Derek

alf t
30th August 2003, 10:52 PM
Derek,

If your'e interested in a riser kit I have one brand new ,dirt cheap.
All you have to do is let me know how to get it to you and you can negotiate!!!
Alf

derekcohen
30th August 2003, 11:14 PM
Alf

I am interested. Contact me offline ([email protected]) with details.

Regards

Derek

GeoffS
1st September 2003, 10:43 PM
Derek

I don't seem to be getting too many responses on this matter. Thanks for that table. My own reading tells me that adequate blade tension should be all that this needs. Even hp isn't all that important if you don't mind being patient.

I guess I am just going to have to read the literature and make up my own mind.

Thanks again
Cheers