PDA

View Full Version : How reliable are autofocus lenses?

bitingmidge
11th July 2007, 04:47 PM
OK... let me start out by saying I'm not bagging the products mentioned below, but I'm a bit curious.

I once had a bunch of Canon SLR stuff, (bought in 1992) which I bequeathed to my daughter, including a 70-210 lens which was one of the early USM autofocus lenses. I could never get the thing to focus consistently, and eventuall (after a few years) the 'auto' stopped. I took it to Canon who said don't bother fixing it, so used it manually for a few years, until it magically started working again, and has performed perfectly ever since...25 years on!

Now some of you are aware, late last year I spent the rest of the small inheritance I had aside for the kids on a bit of Nikon stuff, including an excellent Nikkor 18-200 VR lens with lots of other letters.

That lens was great for a while, but the results started to get quite "soft", to the point where I thought I must have the perpetual shakes, and then last weekend the autofocus just stopped.

I haven't found any discussion on unreliability of AF lenses anywhere on the web, and generally the Nikkor and Canon gear has a well deserved reputation.

Am I just unlucky? Or is there some sort of AF conspiracy that I have as yet not uncovered?

(The Nikkor is back at the doctors under warranty BTW).

Cheers,

P
:cool:

WillyInBris
11th July 2007, 05:25 PM
Hi

I haven't had any problems with auto focus on any of my lenses over the years but then I didn't use it all the time.

When it was getting soft as you say was it all the time both hand held and on a tripod, did you try turning VR off and get the same results.

As you are aware VR should be off when you use a tripod and to be honest I didn't really feel the need to use at at all.

I would got to the nikonians web site and become a member I was for a few years someone may have had the same problem as you.

Like these forums they are all willing to help, but give them all the detail you can like what body lens etc etc etc the more info the better.

I sold all my gear 6 months ago, D200 and all the lenses I thought working with wood has to be a cheaper hobby but boy was I wrong :U .

WillyInBris
11th July 2007, 05:30 PM
Sorry forgot to mention as well, sometimes it can be the contacts between the body and the lens that cause Auto focus to stop working.

It could be because they are dirty or they need to be shimmed? anyway just a thought.

Willy

Grunt
11th July 2007, 05:33 PM
I think you've got a dud lens.

I haven't heard of any problems with any auto-focus lens from Nikon before.

All mine work a treat.

Chris

bitingmidge
11th July 2007, 06:01 PM
Grunt,

I think you're right, and I'm facing not so legendary Nikon customer service with some trepidation!

However, that may be a thing of the past now that Maxwells aren't supposed to be managing!

Willy, I know it's the lens as my others are working well, but I am more curious about the long term reliability. I am not rough with my lenses, but to have had two out of four fail makes me wonder!

Thanks for the Nikonian tip, I hadn't been there!

cheers,

P
:D

WillyInBris
11th July 2007, 06:28 PM
Yep its strange maybe just one of those things, The Nikon gear can take a fair bit of abuse.

I had two CF cards fail on two different weekends at the same place taking photos of the same thing at the same time(insert ghost music), I have no idea why they failed but got replaced under warranty.

Sometimes these things just happen :? .

As for the Nikonians forums, they rock, like these forums they can become a dangerous place, so much knowledge and so little time.:U

bitingmidge
8th August 2007, 04:52 PM
Well I signed up at Nikonians, but need another life to wade through all the stuff.

My lens has been in for a month today, and I've been advised that the "parts are on backorder".

Is this the worst case of warranty- customer service that exists?

It's fair to say I'm a bit peeved. Once it would have been quietly peeved, but now I can share my peeve with the world!

cheers,

P

Grunt
8th August 2007, 05:17 PM
Sadly Nikon service isn't the best. They took over from Maxwells last year and I still don't think they have the poo together.

If you're looking for more places to waste your time you can try

www.dslrusers.com
www.digitalslr.com.au

Both are Australian DSLR user forums.

Chris

ciscokid
8th August 2007, 09:07 PM
I've been using the ultra-sonic Canon lenses for about 12 years now and the only problem I've had was the result of me dropping a lens over a cliff. Looked fine when I retrieved it, but won't work any longer. Doh! I find both the Canon and Nikon products to be very good and only lean toward the Canon gear because, in my opinion, it is a little bit (actually quite a bit) quieter. And I like to photograph wildlife without spooking it. Sounds like you might have got a bum lens and that could happen to anybody.

bitingmidge
15th August 2007, 10:50 AM
I spoke with the repairer yesterday.

Yep the lens was just a dud! It needs a replacement motor, and the parts have been on backorder for a month or so, not due in till 2 September.

The repairers seem like good people, but can't do anything without parts. I know the lense will come back set up properly by hand rather than on a production line and so that's probably a good thing.

But I'd like to be using it so I rang Nikon Australia, and explained that I have a German Car, and if there's a part not in stock the manufacturer can fly one out from Germany in less than a week, why can't a tiny motor just get popped in an envelope?

The response: "why don't you hire a lens for the weekend?"

Great customer service huh?

If the camera wasn't so good, I'd jamb it where their sun don't shine!

Cheers,

P
:D :) :( :((

Grunt
15th August 2007, 11:50 AM
Midge, you should go buy a 50mm 1.8 prime lens. Only set you back $150 or so. They are so sharp and fast.

You can do zooms with them. All you have to do is step closer to your subject to zoom in and step further back to zoom out.

http://www.dctrade.net/ebay/INDEX_files/50_18D_01_s.jpg

bitingmidge
15th August 2007, 12:17 PM
Grunt,
Thanks.... yep you are absolutely correct, I bought one originally, ($135.00 it was an absolute bargain!) and I use it often. (Actually for two months I've used it exclusively!)

Sometimes I walk around with it as an exercise, because I get soo lazy relying on the zoom for composition! I do miss all that pincushioning though!

Not knowing that the other lens was a dud, I was quite disappointed that the el-cheapo always produced consistent results without VR and all that stuff! :rolleyes: The repair guys assure me that won't happen when I get the zoom back!

I am saving for a 105VR micro you see, but the 18-200 is just so.... handy really. I can photograph your tonsils from the other side of the room, and for someone with a thing about tonsils, that's a good thing!

Cheers,

P

Grunt
15th August 2007, 12:31 PM
You've got tonsil pics? Post them!

Grunt
15th August 2007, 12:33 PM
Once Margo sells one of her 3 saddles (1 bum, 2 horses, 3 saddles?) I'm going to buy an 18-200 and a good carbon tripod with a ball head.

bitingmidge
22nd August 2007, 04:16 PM
Well it seems Nikon Aus haven't improved since the Maxwell days.

I got tired of asking through their website, and not receiving a reply, despite their "guarantee" of service. So I've resorted to email, one yesterday, two today. I suppose I'll be spam listed now! :(

Day two and still no reply. Not bad for a company whose president's address on their website says:

"We firmly believe that the way to surpass our customers’expectations is to act swiftly"..

"Nikon is engaged in businesses that deal with the very foundations of our society and therefore has an obligation to deliver products unfailingly at all times."

I have asked the Australian GM what was meant by that.

In the meantime, NEVER let anyone bag GMC's service ever again!

Cheers,

P

Bleedin Thumb
22nd August 2007, 05:16 PM
Sorry guys..a bit of a side track...

I'm about to start constructing a web site and have to go and get some shots of past work and need a digital setup that will take various lenses etc. (yes I did see Dingo's thread)

I'm have always been a Pentax type guy whilst the wife was Nikon. In the world of digital (that has to date left me behind) which way would you vote (out of the two) or is it just personal taste?

BTW I have been unimpressed with Pentax sevice in the past.

bitingmidge
22nd August 2007, 06:18 PM
Back on track for a sec:

Nikon GM sales and marketing responded within 40 minutes of receiving my last email. Apologised and "will be back to me within 18 hours".

I am ever hopeful!

Bleedin'

I am rather prejudiced when it comes to cameras. Despite the current glitch, I am delighted with the quality of the Nikon product, and the "feel" of the thing.

I have previously owned Pro quality Olympus SLR's (OM 1's and 2's) which were legendary in their time, and Canon film SLR's, and still also have a digital Canon Pro1.

My daughter has a Canon 400D (and my Canon lense collection! :rolleyes: ) which is another top flight amateur camera and great value IMHO.

I personally prefer the Nikon line, and reckon the D40 is about the best value going at the moment. In reality, it'll all get down to personal preference, and the dollars you want to spend.

Why else would I lust after a Leica when my D80 is all that I would ever need and more?

Check www.dpreview.com for comprehensive reviews of whatever you are considering buying, and try to be objective! :wink:

cheers,

P

Grunt
22nd August 2007, 07:31 PM
For the serious amateur the Nikon, Canon and Pentax SLR cameras are all excellent choices.

I suggest you go in a pick up each of the cameras and see how they feel in your hand.

When I was looking for a camera my choice was between the Nikon D50 and the Canon 350D. Both cameras were and still are excellent. I chose the D50 because it felt better in my hands. The Canon was a little small and felt very 'Plastic'.

Nikon and Canon have a greater range of lenses then Pentax.

Chris

Bleedin Thumb
23rd August 2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks I have checked out that site BM. It seems that once you get up to the top end of the amateur camera's its the newer the better as they are coming out with new features all the time IE antidust lenses etc.( a bit of a broad generalisation, I know:- )

With the digital SLR's are they like bodies of old where lenses are interchangable between (most) brands? and can I use my old lenses on the digital body?(after a serious clean:( )

Grunt
23rd August 2007, 10:18 AM
With the digital SLR's are they like bodies of old where lenses are interchangable between (most) brands? and can I use my old lenses on the digital body?(after a serious clean:( )

I'm not sure it's ever been easy to interchange lenses between brands. They all have different mounting systems. Canon, Nikon and Pentax all use the same mounts as they did 30 & 40 years ago. Most of the older lenses will work but not all. The old lenses will probably not have auto focus capability.

Chris

Bleedin Thumb
23rd August 2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks Grunt, My nikon & pentax lenses are interchangable. As far as AF lenses go ...tell you the truth I dont like them much..well I don't like the only one I have, it seems to make everything flat - no depth of field. Is that what BM means by soft?

Actually its a bit unfair to make a judgment on AF as the one I'm using is on a video camera which must be a totally different kettle of fish.

woodbe
23rd August 2007, 10:38 AM
In the recent past, you could get a Tamron or Soligor or some such brand with a universal mount that could be switched to fit any of the 'supported' camera bodies. I think autofocus generally killed it off, and now the third party lens manufacturers make a version of their lens for each camera brand they support.

As far as fitting your old lenses to a new DSLR, you can do this with Pentax, Canon, Nikon, within reasonable bounds. There are various limitations that you will need to explore if you are going to make this a reason for buying one camera over the other. Take your lenses into the camera shop and make sure they work.

The canon EF mount embodies the shortest mount-to-film distance of any popular DSLR brand. As a result, there are adapters available to fit just about any other brand lens to a canon. (yes, you can mount a nikon lens on your canondslr) The adapter is machined to correct the mount-to-film difference, and adapt the bayonet to the foreign lens. Of course, using lenses in this fashion eliminates all of the open aperture metering, and focus capabilities of the lens although focus confirmation adapters have started appearing on ebay.

woodbe

Bleedin Thumb
23rd August 2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks Woodbe, I wasn't aware of that potential problem.

bitingmidge
23rd August 2007, 06:10 PM
An update, because I don't bag a company without reporting the outcome!

I had a phone call from Nikon's Marketing GM today, he's undertaken to get a replacement lens to me overnight, in time for my daughter's wedding on Saturday!

If it all comes off, I'll write a happy post!
:D :D :D

P

bitingmidge
29th August 2007, 12:10 PM
All credit to Nikon in the end!

The replacement lens arrived and was used about 500 times on Saturday. It seems there is some genuine concern over the service (or lack of it) so here's hoping it'll improve in the future.

In the meantime, I'm a happy camper once more!

cheers,

P

wheelinround
29th August 2007, 06:10 PM
:2tsup::2tsup: Good on you Midge

I was concrend last night when using my Canon but as I was using manual mode as the auot focus was shunting in and out from one object to another

MajorPanic
30th August 2007, 10:19 PM
That's EXCELLENT news Midge!! :2tsup: :2tsup: :2tsup:

Now for the acid test:

were the pictures sharp?
did the AF work properly?
are you happy with your new lens?

bitingmidge
30th August 2007, 10:24 PM
TNow for the acid test:

were the pictures sharp?
did the AF work properly?
are you happy with your new lens?
Without doing any testing (I like to look at photos not test sheets) the pics were as sharp as the lens is supposed to produce, the AF works consistently now, the VR also seems to work (previously I thought I was hopeless!), and lens creep which was a major issue with the old one is thus far non existent.

All in all, it's what it should have been, or appears to be so anyway.

Once I get mobile again I'll have a proper play and report!

cheers,

P

glock40sw
31st August 2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks Grunt, My nikon & pentax lenses are interchangable. As far as AF lenses go ...tell you the truth I dont like them much..well I don't like the only one I have, it seems to make everything flat - no depth of field. Is that what BM means by soft?

Actually its a bit unfair to make a judgment on AF as the one I'm using is on a video camera which must be a totally different kettle of fish.

G'day BT.
I use pentax *ist D and K10D DSLRs.
I also use my old K mount pentax glass and screw mount pentax glass on these bodies with no problems.
manual focus was very difficult with the original mat screen. I since fitted a split focus screen bought from Epay. hardly ever use AF since. manual focus is a lot faster than AF. No waiting for focus confimation prior to shutter button press.

Bleedin Thumb
31st August 2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks Trevor, That looks like the way I am headed.

One problem I am having these days is not being able to focus on the viewfinder as my eyes are not what they used to be.

Is there a solution to this...besides putting on glasses? It may seem a bit of a joke but it does make manual focusing a bit harder than it was a couple of years back.

glock40sw
31st August 2007, 11:41 AM
BT.
Check with C.R. Kennedy.
pentax make different diopter adaptors to fit the view finder.
kennedys service has improved greatly over the last 12 months.
I had My *ist D serviced this time last year and the turnaround time was only a weekand a half. Including getting a new dial from Japan.

Bleedin Thumb
31st August 2007, 12:31 PM
Cheers Trevor, Just gave their Sydney branch a ring.

There service would want to be better than there phone answering skills. Some young snappy thing eventually answered the phone -cut me off mid sentence and then tranferred me to a recorded message!:((

Its so hard finding good staff these days!:D

glock40sw
31st August 2007, 06:22 PM
BT. Forget Sydney.:((

Ring Melbourne.
Talk to Ray (Female).
She is very good. :2tsup:

All my service work goes to Melbourne direct.
Sydney and Brisbane branches also send to Melbourne for repair etc.