PDA

View Full Version : identify this timber

robyn2839
12th July 2007, 02:39 PM
got two big blocks of this today, anyone know what it is?. beautifull red colur with black bits going with the grain. bob

DJ’s Timber
12th July 2007, 03:19 PM
Looks to be a Hairy Oak, also know as Flame Sheoak (allocasuarina inopholia)

Alastair
12th July 2007, 03:24 PM
Yep, would agree.

I have some small flitches from past WWW shows. Makes great pens.

ptc
12th July 2007, 06:26 PM
Yep.
nice size as well.

soundman
12th July 2007, 07:02 PM
SSShhhhh Wendy will hear you:secret: .

cheers

cedar n silky
12th July 2007, 10:06 PM
Good score!:2tsup: I reckon it's Hairy Oak too.
I picked this up from one of the turners who was demonstrating at the Brisbane Wood Show in 06, for $5. Nice fella too!

RufflyRustic
13th July 2007, 09:33 AM
Hairy Oak - YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

There's nothing like a beautiful whatever made from Hairy Oak or Flame She Oak.

Fantastic pickup. :2tsup: Are those two chunks really as big as I think they are??? Must have been a very old tree.

cheers
Wendy

soundman
13th July 2007, 10:15 AM
I wondered how long that would take:D

Wendy is our resident Inopholiaophile.:no:

cheers

reeves
13th July 2007, 10:44 AM
Robyn, where did u get it and how much more if it is there ?

Alastair
13th July 2007, 10:50 AM
Hairy Oak - YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

There's nothing like a beautiful whatever made from Hairy Oak or Flame She Oak.

Fantastic pickup. :2tsup: Are those two chunks really as big as I think they are??? Must have been a very old tree.

cheers
Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I'll make you even more jealous, and post some pen pics when I finish this batch!

TTIT
13th July 2007, 11:12 AM
Check it out here (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/treepages/hairyoak_main.htm) Bob!

robyn2839
13th July 2007, 01:16 PM
these two peices were given to me, dont know if there is any more ,will find out ,and yes they are as big as thy look, where do hairy oaks grow? as in the picture .bob h

reeves
13th July 2007, 01:33 PM
these two peices were given to me, dont know if there is any more ,will find out ,and yes they are as big as thy look, where do hairy oaks grow? as in the picture .bob h

ok thanks Bob, sorry had to ask, collect as much of it as I can.

It grows out west, i have some chunks from Eudlo way, but anywere out past St George, Thargomindah, along to Morven etc..

RufflyRustic
13th July 2007, 02:21 PM
I wondered how long that would take:D

Wendy is our resident Inopholiaophile.:no:

cheers

oooo uh oh, there's that ....phile word again :oo: :wink:

Hi Wendy,

I'll make you even more jealous, and post some pen pics when I finish this batch!

You are on!!! :D c'arn - try and make me jealous (should I show Alistair my pen now or later Soundman :U )

Robyn, any ideas what you might make with your find?

cheers
Wendy

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th July 2007, 04:00 PM
Check it out here (http://web.aanet.net.au/ttit/treepages/hairyoak_main.htm) Bob!

Hey Vern... is it an inopholia or an inophloia? :wink:

TTIT
13th July 2007, 04:32 PM
Hey Vern... is it an inopholia or an inophloia? :wink:
inophloia according to my books - and here (http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2006/allocasuarina-inophloia.html) - which would actually make Wendy an inophloyaphile! Not an inopholiaphile - sounds much better doesn't it! :shrug:

RufflyRustic
13th July 2007, 05:49 PM
......sounds much better doesn't it! :shrug:

.....errrrr :?

:D

soundman
13th July 2007, 06:53 PM
Oh and watch out for "Reeves"..... "The Brown Pimpernel"..... liberator of abandond timber.:sleez:

now this "phile" thing has become misused in recent times, it used to mean one who appreciated or was dedicated to... whatever.

No don't show him the pen......... yet...... make him show you his first.:tongue2:

then show him your whole collection:haha:

cheers

Alastair
25th July 2007, 01:15 PM
oooo uh oh, there's that ....phile word again :oo: :wink:

You are on!!! :D c'arn - try and make me jealous (should I show Alistair my pen now or later Soundman :U )

Robyn, any ideas what you might make with your find?

cheers
Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Belatedly.

Matched pen and pencil, Hairy Oak.

I prefer a satin finish, as it doesn't scratch or scuff, and feels more natural in my hand. So just sanding sealer, friction dried, after sanding to 400. Past examples seem to have held up to use without obvious change for years, or certainly long after the plating has worn off the hardware.

regards

reeves
26th July 2007, 12:57 PM
Oh and watch out for "Reeves"..... "The Brown Pimpernel"..... liberator of abandond timber.:sleez:

ahh yes one can only try one sbest, thanks for the good comments...

for the inopholiacs heres my current stash of hairy oak, the 5 chunks in the foreground....swapped and bought from Bill Harms at carbarlah, Brett dwyer of Ravensbourne and Ray of Merringaden..some smaller bits from Dave Drescher..

am definatley on the lookout for some bigger or wider chunks for bowls but i know they are hard to find..Ray who visted a while back said that there are some out back of the Goombungee tip, Brett Dwyer down the road reckons theres some sizable stuff to be cut up out near Millmerran way...
to the chainsw...

Wizened of Oz
26th July 2007, 03:55 PM
Saw it growing in mixed eucalypt forest at Burrandowan just west of Kingaroy. But I never spotted any big enough to yield other than pen blanks. When you consider that the hairy bark is over 25mm thick on even small trees there's not a lot of timber there.

Rance
27th July 2007, 01:39 AM
...where do hairy oaks grow?

In the Hairy forrest, of course. :roflmao2:

Rance