PDA

View Full Version : Redgum antique bottle display cases

jefferson
13th July 2007, 09:35 PM
I'm testing out how to post pics, so please bear with me.

For interest, my dad and I built the units a few years back, all out of redgum. From memory, the two base units 1500 long by 800 high. All out of 30mm recycled redgum, except for the backs (20mm KD).

The three top units are also out of 30mm redgum with 20mm for the shelves and backs.

All are quite heavy!

Quite a few hours went into the project - a "one-off" for my dad. All the units are dovetailed, including the shelves.

A learning experience would be an understatement.

Jefferson

Big Shed
13th July 2007, 09:48 PM
Nice work, interesting project and nicely proportioned.:2tsup:

womble
14th July 2007, 08:32 AM
can I have the bottles :fisch:

les88
14th July 2007, 08:41 AM
nice unit btw was it made by hand or machinery
les

jefferson
14th July 2007, 06:21 PM
Les,

I made the units (mostly) with "machines".

Jointed, thicknessed. cut to length etc all on the minimax combo. Cut all the dovetails, including the sliders, on the Leigh jig, joints fine tuned with chisels and handplanes.

Sanded all boards with the 5" orbital sander, scraping plane left on the shelf. 100+ year old redgum is hard!

Sorry if I disappoint. Learning this craft at my age (near 50) without an apprenticeship means you gotta take shortcuts!

That said, the 5 cabinets were a challenge. But will be handed down to me probably when dad passes on, and then onto my son if he wants them. And as I see, just as good as some of the antiques you see around made entirely by "hand".

Jefferson